How can I work out syns for general recipes?

mishmai

Hi I need help working out the syn value of general recipes i.e. not slimming world recipes.

I love home baking and especially at Christmas time and i have lots of recipes where i know exactly the ingredients being used, the amounts and even the calories per portion but how can i work out syn value so i can incorporate these foods into my slimming world eating plan?

:confused:

it is easy really, dont count syns for ingredients which are free foods, and just work out he syns for the foods that are not free. Of course if you are doing extra easy, make sure a 1/3 superfree food is incorporated. HTH

it is difficult with ordinary recipes I agree.

However, if it's a bread pudding for instance you could use wm bread and count them as heb's - count the marg as how many tbsps (I don;'t know syns for marg) and flour for how many ounces (I think 4.5 syns per 2 oz - I might be wrong) etc etc - dried fruit is also pretty hefty where syns ar concerned.

THEN make the cake/pudding and divide it into how many slices and devide the syns into that many pieces also so you know how many syns per slice.

Another ROUGH - and this is very rough - it works out at approximately 1 syn per 20 calories so if your cake is 500 calories it would be approx 25 syns for the cake and then divide by how many slices you'd get out of it. THIS IS ROUGH GUIDES ONLY.

HTH somewhat.

Back