How Did You Become Fat?

Moving in with my boyfriend (now husband)...he can eat whatever he wants and doesn't gain so much as a pound!
Suffering from hyperemesis gravidarum during my pregnancy....couldn't eat at all for the majority of the 9 months, so I had the mindset that I could 'make up for it' once my daughter was born!
PCOS
Boredom
Portions which were FAR too big

I actually feel physically sick when I think about how much i used to eat. I think my downfall was portion control and not having 'regimented' meals....just eating whenever I had time, and snacking most of the day.
The main thing is, I've realised my flaws in regards to my eating. Im SO determined that this time I will be succesful with my weight loss. I've never felt so motivated. xxx

Hm, I was a normal sized child until I was about 10 - I lived with my grandparents from birth till then and they're very 'traditional' when it comes to food. Breakfast was cereal or toast, lunch was meat and two veg, dinner was a sandwich and fruit. They only drink water, tea/coffee and squash. Also, all meals were at a table.. no tv, no music, no distractions.

At about 10, I moved to live with my mother. Huge portions, sofa dinners, obese parents and rough relationship with mother lead to comfort eating. There've been times where we've argued and I've gone to Greggs - bought 4 sausage rolls, 1 steak slice, 1 cheese and bacon wrap, 1 sausage/bean slice, 2 custard tarts, lucozade, ribena, coke. I'd then go sit in my car and eat the lot! Horrific, huh?

Not really sure what the turning point was as I've hated my weight as long as I can remember and have been trying to lose weight for ever. I'm having to learn what size portions should be and to eat for hunger not comfort... it'll work out eventually :D

Same old story for me: Major depression and feelings of isolation. When your brain insists on telling you food is your only friend.....well....on the weight goes.

was chubby as a child, on medication,that cause weight gain, moved into a bungalow so no stairs to get some exercise. Not working full time so tend to have something to eat with my coffee, so really allowed myself to get in a rut, but 2011 is the year to make changes in my eating habits

I think I was always biggish though never realised until my ex reminded me daily :-( . . That was 20 years ago ever since then it's been the Bain of my life mentally. People just don't think do they !

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

I enjoyed eating, i just loove my fooooood! my day simply wasnt complete without scoffing some junk food.. also because when i had nothing better to do i ate... i had too much free time..
As well, once i got fat i just ate even more, got fatter and felt bad so went on on/off diets which just led to binging everyday and everytime i would say im going to eat lovely stuff today and tommorow start my diet but never did... so this stupid decision to eat fully and then diet the next day will have definetly been the cause of my weight getting higher and higher. its so ridiculous too because it would have made more sense to just eat but have small portions and bit healthier food and i would probably not be as fat now but i think it was just make belief, an excuse to eat whatever i want without feeling bad because i thought il start a proper diet tommorow... yes im an idiot! a fat one too!

This is exactly where I'm at at the minute and it's infuriating!!
But I know it can be done!!

I was always bigger than everyone else, but I only got into the bad zone when I was at Uni and then living by myself for the first time. I think a lot of it was lack of exercise and the ability to eat what ever I wanted for once and I didn't make the right choices. But my real challenge now is my snacking. I eat so many treats that I shouldn't have and find it hard to manage at a level that's okay for my body.

This is hard for me to share with strangers. But I think I've always had an eating disorder. I come from a family of large people and from as young as I can remember I've been stressed over my weight. I managed to stay thin through my teens and early twenties by starving myself (500cal/day +exercise),using laxatives, purging and whatever it took. I gained some wieght with my four pregnancies but my weight exploded during my sister and best friends illness and death. I gained 70 lbs in a year. I developed type 2 diabetes and between that, my magior depression and miserable marriage, I just gave up. I ate secretly to try and ease my loneliness and pain. Four years ago I had gastric bypass and quickly lost 120lbs. I kept it off for awhile but after some severe liver and pancraes problems , nearly dying , loosing my father to cancer and having 6 herniated disks in my back, I've gained 50 lbs back. Now I eat very little compared to anyone I know, but can't manage to loose. I'm currently doing atkins and have lost about 5 lbs in 10 days. I'm sorry this is so long. I'm determined to make this work.

Wow . Well done for still being positive and sharing that with us. Sounds like you have been through the mill. Keep going I'm sure you will be fine and I'll try to keep you motivated . Only been on here a few days but I'm finding it very helpful . X

Thanks:) I hope I can give and get support and knowlege here !
Im going to physical therapy today and that always makes me feel happy and pampered:) I hope I'm still as "up" after I weigh!

Thanks:) I hope I can give and get support and knowlege here !
Im going to physical therapy today and that always makes me feel happy and pampered:) I hope I'm still as "up" after I weigh!

I hope it all does well today! I think you'll get lots of support and positivity here :) I've learnt loads just by reading some of the threads it's great
x

I started gaining weight five years ago. It was a rough time - I quit my job and didn't realize how difficult it would be to find a new one. I also broke up with my fiance at that time because he didn't have time for me and he couldn't care less for what I was going through. That got me binge-eating, mostly on sweets, and spending hours and hours everyday either laying in bed or playing computer games. I got my life back in order a few months later, but losing the weight I gained was another story. It doesn't help that my mom lives with me and I feel obligated to eat whatever she cooks for me. It's so hard to resist tasty food that was lovingly cooked for you even though you know they won't help you with your weight issues.

Back