How Did You Decide on Your Target Weight?

Clironka

Okay, I've just adjusted my target (downwards) - a number of things brought this about. Will bring me mid BMI perfect range.
How did you decide upon YOUR target please?

I've only got my first target at the moment which is to lose 34kg. That will give me a BMI of below 35 which is what it needs to be for IVF. So I didn't really choose this goal - if I want to have IVF, I've got no option.

Ultimately, I would like to get to a healthy BMI. However, I'm trying not to think about this too much as I have a very, very long way to go.

I based my goal on the memory of being that weight. I could do everything I wanted, and also felt pretty good. It will still be an obese BMI. When I get there I may lose more. If I do, it will be to get my BMI to around 32, which make it possible to get skin surgery (privately). And for me, it will be a weight I can maintain at.

I've looked at what is required for me to maintain a healthy BMI, and for me I don't think its realistic. So I'm not even considering it.

Last edited:
I picked mine as it's in the middle of the healthy BMI range. I partly picked it because it felt achievable too. It's 10 and a half stone so not too heavy but not too light (I can't even imagine being in the 9 stone category!). Also, my mum is around that weight and as we're the same height I can kind of guess what I'll look like at that weight and she's a good size (though she's lost some now and is closer to 10 stone) so I thought it would probably be a good size for me too. If I do manage to get there without too much trouble though, I'll probably take it down a little further, maybe to around 10 stone. 9 stone 13 lbs would be a dream haha! :D

I want 11lbs off as that's when I remember being comfortable and Happy in myself, but if I can go down 2lb a week for 5-6 weeks then it slows down i'm ok with that, as long as I exercise things will happen & as long as i'm food intake conscious things will change :) but your BMI is a good target point. I find the doctors expectations of what a person should weigh to be a bit OTT.

Where I feel comfortable. Like others, I don't think I'll ever be in my healthy BMI range.

Because I have very large hip bones, when I lose too much they stick out either side like a shelf which I don't like.

For me, being a size 12 to 14 at my goal of 12 St 7 lb I don't feel fat anymore. That's just a bit below the weight I was in my profile pic and I'm happy with that. I keep my profile pic to show me I can do it.

My long term target is 10st 6lb, that was the weight I was when I met my husband and looking back at pictures I looked so tiny!!
I may have to go a little further as I have had 3 kids so my body has changed but that is my long term goal for now!
Short term is to get out of the bloody 12s, only 3lb to go but my body likes it here at the moment lol x

I decided on a target based on when I liked my body best. I lost weight before and I sort of know when I felt the most comfortable while feeling and looking slim. Unfortunately that's a little over 2 stone away, hopefully I'll have the patience to see it through! :)

Back