How do I cook fish?

alexisemma31

I know its a really daft question but apart from salmon I never eat fish like haddock etc.

Any easy and quick ways? Or simple recipes? thanks

My fave to do with fish is make slimming world fish and chips.
Have a little flour in one bowl (I also mix some mixed herbs in with the flour) and a whisked egg in another bowl. Put the fish in the flour to cover and then dip into the egg and cover then plonk it in the oven for about 20 mins and it's all done.
That along with some slimming world chips and veg is perfect. :)

I usually wrap in some foil & add herbs/spices even chopped up onions, peppers & just cook in the oven for about 10/15mins. It really doesn't take long.

You could just fry it in fry light or even just grill it. About 5/10 mins each side, depends how thick the fish is X

I tend to buy packs of salmon and smoked haddock and boil-in-the-bag kippers from Iceland. I poach salmon or haddock fillets in an old frying pan with very little water, covered with a saucepan lid to fit. I put the fillet in still frozen and simmer til done (about 5 minutes). I'll pop an egg in with the haddock if I'm having it for breakfast. The salmon I usually eat with grated carrot and other salad for lunch.

Sheet of greaseproof paper layer in peppers, tomatoes, mushrooms, baby corn, sugar snap peas, some fresh soft herbs like parsley/dill/thyme lay on the fish then fold the paper to make a parcel (pleat the top to allow for steam) tuck the ends under and pop in the oven for 20 minutes serve with baby new potatoes or mash. Each person gets their own packet, you can serve in the paper, this is 'en papilotte' (spelling wrong I think) in recipe books.

Or cook off some onion and garlic, lay on the bottom of a oven dish throw on a bag of raw spinach and mix together. Top with undyed smoked haddock and top that with a slice or two of lemon, cover with foil and oven bake for 20 mins, serve with smooth mash mixed with EL Mayo and plenty of seasoning, serve with roasted veggies like chatenay carrots and BNS.

My friendly local pub landlord sent my OH home with a lovely fish in veg casserole for me on boxing day. He said he grated carrots and parsnips and mixed in with finely sliced red onions and peppers, with seasoning and garlic, spread it over the fish (haddock I think) and put it in the oven to bake for half hour.

Sketchy recipe I'm afraid, but it was delicious and I'll be trying to replicate it myself in the new year. I just ate it on its own as there was so much of it and would work out free on EE anyway

I tend to buy frozen fillets because it's much cheaper, then I wrap in tin foil after spraying with frylight, ad some herbs (I'm a big fan of asda fish seasoning) and stick in the oven on about 180 for 25 mins. Then I don't have to watch it while I get on with other things.

The oven bags the fish comes in fro most supermarket fish counters are great too- instructions will be on it, just whack it in. My fave types of fish (and both cheaper than cod or haddock) are River Cobbler (I think you can get that anywhere, I get it from asda) and Tilipia (which is frozen in Aldi). Enjoy :)

Paella? Risotto? Lots of fish recipes in the recipe sub-forum so I would try doing a search. There are also threads for people doing a 'fishy week' so should be lots of inspiration there. Then of course you have internet recipe sites like www.bbcgoodfood.com where you can search for recipes for specific ingredients.

Or pop in the microwave in an oven proof dish with about a cup of milk, seasoning & herbs such as fresh dill, cover with cling film (pricked with a tiny hole) and poach for about 3-4 mins on the high setting. Let it stand for 5 mins and hey presto.

Fish doesn't take long to cook & you have to be careful not to over cook it as it drys out. Alternatively, pop in a steamer too for about 7 mins or oven back in tinfoil for about 10-15 mins depending of size of fillet & type of fish. Salmon cooks quickly & have even heard TV chefs recommend it can be steamed in the dishwasher wrapped in tinfoil of course, whilst your dishes are being washed on the hot cycle!!! ;)

Left over frozen fillets i.e. end of packet where you get the odd one, defrost and cut in to chunks, add some left over prawns. Pop in a oven proof dish with some cheese sauce (made with skimmed milk & half fat cheese o melted Laughing Cow triangles extra lite & a little corn flour to thicken), top with well seasoned mashed carrot & turnip or mix in some mash potato with the carrot & turnip. Oven bake for 15-20 mins & you have a one pot fisherman's pie.

Back