How do you all go so long on just shakes?

Army-wife

As some people have probably guessed - i have a lot of questions before i start the CD with my head 100% in it.
I am hoping to start again this Friday coming. I have tried the cambridge diet before, and failed on the first day, twice! So i am a little worried about it this time. I luckily have the right support and determination this time though.

One thing i really want to know though is how do you all get by so long on just shakes? Not chewing or eating food, just constant drinks (milkshakes) does it get easier? How do you all cope? Thanks.

Hiya, yeah it does get easier once you get into ketosis. But otherwise you just need to keep yourself busy when you start to wobble and want to eat. The worst thing for me is boredom, if I'm bored ill tend to eat so u keep myself busy a lot of the time. When I'm in work its ok but weekend are the hardest time, I just keep reminding myself why I'm doing CD and try to focus on that and not the food.

Iv even made jelly from the water flavouring a few times so I can feel like I'm eating something!

Good luck xx

Once you get over the first 3 or 4 days ketosis sets in and makes everything so much easier. The first few days are quite hard, but you need to keep yourself busy and go to bed early.....anything to take your mind off the discomfort of hunger.
I'm on week 5 now, and it honestly does get so much easier as time goes by. There are days I dont even think about it, I just make my soup/shake and get on with it.

Elaine, wow! Your weight-losses are so inspirational. You have done fantastic. Thank you both for your input. I am so worried i will fail.

As some people have probably guessed - i have a lot of questions before i start the CD with my head 100% in it.
I am hoping to start again this Friday coming. I have tried the cambridge diet before, and failed on the first day, twice! So i am a little worried about it this time. I luckily have the right support and determination this time though.

One thing i really want to know though is how do you all get by so long on just shakes? Not chewing or eating food, just constant drinks (milkshakes) does it get easier? How do you all cope? Thanks.

Once in ketosis the hunger subsides, and you just feel what I would call 'satisfied'. So it defo does get easier.

As for the having shakes all the time - liquid, no chewing - you get used to it! It becomes a way of life...temporarily!

You also learn to say NO! The social aspect can be hard, especially if family/friends say "go on, one wont hurt" sadly with this diet it will! But avoiding social events is not the way. Learning to politely say no often brings admiration from others that you have held on to your determination of loosing weight. :)

After a few days it gets much easier. Find things to keep you busy, drink plenty of water and before you know it you will be in ketosis and it will be well worth the first few days.

Emma, thats great. Your weight losses are also extremely inspirational.

One thing i am wondering though, and that is.. the hunger is never something that has bothered me. Its always the cravings that get to me, does that get easier? I have very strong will-power with most things, but food is the only thing i have never been able to control, its horrific. :(

Elaine, wow! Your weight-losses are so inspirational. You have done fantastic. Thank you both for your input. I am so worried i will fail.

Thank you:D
You wont fail. Make your mind up that this is how things are going to be for the next few months. Its not for ever, and it will get you to where you want to be.
Look at it as the way of getting rid of your fat. Its a good thing. If you see it as a prison, thats how you'll feel. Its the key to getting out of the prison:D

Thats a fantastic way of looking at it, Elaine.
Thank you ever so much for your advice.

You just kind of do it. I know that's not very inspirational, but that really is how it works! I was terrified of b*ggering it up for the first month. I took it a tiny step at a time. Even now I dream I've screwed up and eaten an entire buffet and wake up and think 'Phew!'

For the science bit, once upon a time we didn't eat three meals a day, we were kind of like tigers, we'd only get a big meal every few days..we had no readily available carbs (seriously there's no indigenous plant in the UK that makes an easy carby snack without days of gathering and processing), so we often had to hunt and gather on limited glycogen - this is ketosis - recent studies have shown that the brain works faster and better in this state (mainly because we need our brains and bodies to be quick to be able to track down our next meal) other than that we used to snack on limpets and leaves and berries...and even in modern history its only in recent centures we've gone from 1 large meal a day to three. The way we eat now is so far removed from how we're designed to operate...

And some of the shakes are nice(ish) and after 4 weeks or so your skin starts to glow a bit with all that lovely nutrition you're getting...there's more to food than having something on a plate...

Emma, thats great. Your weight losses are also extremely inspirational.

One thing i am wondering though, and that is.. the hunger is never something that has bothered me. Its always the cravings that get to me, does that get easier? I have very strong will-power with most things, but food is the only thing i have never been able to control, its horrific. :(

I wont lie to you - Cravings will still be there, but if you are anything like me the weight losses each week mean that I am able to say no to the cravings. If i'm having a bad day I try to make wise decisions - have a bath while hubby eats tea, ask someone else to pop in the shop for something so i'm not tempted, make a phone call to take my mind off it etc.

Cerulean.. thank you for that post, what a great way to look at it - and great facts. Definitely an inspirational post.

Thank you Emma. The advice i've been given has been fantastic. I am feeling extremely positive about starting on Friday, especially knowing you're all here if i need you for moral support.

Why do you have to do SS? I've done two weeks of SS, and this week have started doing SS+ on the advice of my CDC. I've had a huge plate of prawns with rocket, sprinkled with chilli flakes - took me ages to eat! - and tonight I had two poached eggs with some rocket, again sprinkled with salt and chilli flakes and it was fabulous!! I have a tetra for breakfast, a bar for lunch, my meal about 7pm and then another tetra before bed! It's fabulous! I believe my weightloss might slow slightly, but I'm more than happy to do this long term now. I might have chicken and cauli tomorrow and will either make up some Cambridge veg mix, or might even use the tiniest bit of gravy granules if I can find some low carb enough! The weights of the protein you can have will amaze you! Why not do it as painlessly as possible???

Good luck with it - I feel tonnes better, just three and a half weeks in and I can see the difference already!!!

Why do you have to do SS? I've done two weeks of SS, and this week have started doing SS+ on the advice of my CDC. I've had a huge plate of prawns with rocket, sprinkled with chilli flakes - took me ages to eat! - and tonight I had two poached eggs with some rocket, again sprinkled with salt and chilli flakes and it was fabulous!! I have a tetra for breakfast, a bar for lunch, my meal about 7pm and then another tetra before bed! It's fabulous! I believe my weightloss might slow slightly, but I'm more than happy to do this long term now. I might have chicken and cauli tomorrow and will either make up some Cambridge veg mix, or might even use the tiniest bit of gravy granules if I can find some low carb enough! The weights of the protein you can have will amaze you! Why not do it as painlessly as possible???

Good luck with it - I feel tonnes better, just three and a half weeks in and I can see the difference already!!!

Thank you for your advice. I just think the SS results would keep me going. I have a lot of weight to lose and i think if i was to have slow weight-losses i'd give up. The main reason i chose the CD SS was because of how quickly the weight comes off. Thank you ever so much for your advice though. I am looking forward to getting on the SS+ already. :)

Apparently, the weight losses are only about 1lb a month less on SS+!! Just posted a comparison with the calories, and with LL on another thread if you are interested. Anyway, if you did start on SS+ I am sure you would still have huge weight losses, and if you didn't, you just move down to SS again, which is what I will do if I have lower weight losses for a sustained period of time if I feel this is what I want to do.

Which thread have you ut it on poppysparkle?

It's ok I've found it now thanks x

Back