How do you choose your goal weight?

How do you know what weight will suit you the best when you start? Or do you just keep reviewing your target weight?

I am aiming for 112 pounds as I am short (5'2) and have quite a small frame (just well padded) but I can't picture myself as anything but huge!

I thought about looking at celebrities that are my height and seeing what weight they are but I don't really want to get into comparing myself too much.

I chose the highest weight I can be to be considered 'normal' in terms of BMI which is 10 stone. This is only my short term goal though and once I reach it I will re-evaluate. I have never been smaller than 12 stone in my adult so this is all very new territory for me and I can't be certain what looks best until I get there!

I have a lot to lose so I wasn't sure if having a visual goal would be a good thing. Celebrity figures don't seem all that realistic as a goal though!!

There are a lot more celebrities at my height than I thought though - Reece Witherspoon, Alyssa Milano, Eva Longoria, Shakira.....

My lowest weight was 13stone 9lbs the first time I lost weight. I'm now 18st 13 (down from 20st 6), so I'm making 13st 9 my goal weight for now. I'll re-evaulate when I get to that. :)

I have picked half a stone under what is considered the highest weight for my height. When I get there then I will be the thinnest I have ever been in my adult life. :)

I'm shorter than you and I've gone for the highest weight for my height (9st) but I may go slightly lower once I get there..

Somewhere on MiniMins there is a photo weight chart.. People have sent in photos of themselves stating their height and weight..It's very good because you can see real people at the weight your thinking of..
Don't forget most celebs are airbrushed for photos. Also many of them are underweight!!

My dietition gave me a chart which shows the hieght of a person and what weight they should be at that height, you can also check you current height and weight to see if your underweight, ok, over weight or obese, I'm 5'7, so according to the chart I've gotta be at the most 11 stone to be in an ok weight area, which means I've got 5 stone to lose! :S

bmi-chart.gif

Scary chart! I want to be right in the middle of healthy so I have well over 4 stones to lose. Sounds like loads!!

Wish I could pick a diet and stick to it - I would love to do one of the VLCD ones but the one I liked the sound of isn't sold around here and the GP laughed at me and told me to walk more and do star jumps during television commercials!!

Thanks for the chart AmethystWitch - it has just shown me I am no longer clinically obese, and has really made my day!!

My ideal would be to get down to 10st3lbs as I remember feeling great at that weight, but as that was nearly 50yrs ago I may settle for 13st which I was fairly comfortable with..... all so long ago..... sigh..... but we shall see..... :)

I chose 12stones as my goal weight as it's at the upper end of the BMI "normal" weight for my height. I've got a big build as well as being tall so unfortunately I'm never going to weigh 9 stone, and if I did I think I'd look rather odd :rolleyes:.

I can't imagine ever weighing 12 stone to be honest, but we'll see!

I don't like your chart! ha
I decided on a target of 3 stones and everybody was you don't want to lose that much, i'm quite tall and carry weight quite well, pretty much like what most people have said so far. highest part of the bmi chart of a healthy weight, in my case 11 stone 10. plus another half stone ish
We will see when I get there!!

Last time I lost weight I aimed for halfway across the ok band, for me that was 9st. But when I got less than 9st 7lb I though my face and neck were getting scrawny looking so I stopped losing and went onto maintenance. I found 9st 8lb was about right for me and that's about what I'm aiming for now. I may adjust it when I get nearer and see how I look.

Tracey

Back