How do you deal with temptation?

nataby

After having a shockingly bad start to this week I have begun to think about how I deal with temptation and cravings. I was thinking about the thought process that goes along with a craving and conquering that really is the key to successful slimming (for me...if that makes any sense!)

For example......Today I was in the mall and walked past a new cupcake store that had opened. I have been craving the cupcakes in this shop for a while now so instead of focusing on all the reasons why eating a cupcake or 2 would be bad for my weightloss and all of the reasons why I want to lose weight I thought 'oh well I'll probably give in eventually so I may as well buy 4' and I did!! But when I ate 2 (my oH and daughter had the other 2) they weren't actually very nice and I didn't enjoy them like I thought I would.

So lesson learnt..........I need to begin to focus on why I wan't to lose weight and use that in that moment of temptation.

Anyone got any tips on dealing with temptation or keeping motivated as I am finding this hard!

(Sorry if there are already threads like this on here.......am still trying to find my way around!)

I usually deal with temptation by eating what I fancy! Hehe like you did, if I crave something I eat it and if I enjoy it then great and its worth the syns, if not I learn from it and know not to crave it again! X

I wrote a for and against list. Every time I am tempted by something I think of all my reasons for loosing weight and it usually far outweighs whatever I want to eat and gives me a big determination boost.

Nothing is "forbidden" on SW. It's a question of how much you want something. I always think syns are like having a limited amount of cash when you want to go shopping. You can decide between saving up for something special, spending very little and saving some for tomorrow, blowing it all at once or "overspending" and compensating afterwards.

I wrote a for and against list. Every time I am tempted by something I think of all my reasons for loosing weight and it usually far outweighs whatever I want to eat and gives me a big determination boost.

I like this idea. Will definately draft one tomorrow and put it on my fridge .....

What works for me is moving the temptation or moving away from it. My oh wanted marsbars for his snapp for work this week so I bought him a multipack from asda, and yes I was craving, but I sent him to work with them all in his work bag. If im craving something when im out, i usualy walk away from it. Or if the oh wants a kfc I enjoy it as well, i just have the 2 hot wings that come with his meal, im still hungry after but feel like iv had a taste. Today I caved in and had a chomp from the shop, but as im saving all my syns this week for a day out, I bought it, had half and gave the other bit to him in doors, half the syns and I was ok after that

My boys ate 17 and 18, I think I've been saying "No" for so many years ,it's easy to say it to myself

So when I drive near McDonalds and I'm craving,I here myself saying No!

When my neighbour comes in from work each night and we sit in the garden ,she always offers me wine,I say No!
McDonalds is probably my weakness,as it's right across from Morrisons when I go food shopping.
I know I can have a Chinese on plan,that's my treat

I avoid temptation by knowing exactly what the syn values of my weaknesses are!

Cookie Dough Icecream - 67.5 per tub
Sour Haribo - 45 syns per bag
Hawaiian Pizza - 124 syns
Maccy D's - 77

I have the slimmingworld online syn tools shortcut on my iPhone so I can check things before I buy them and I randomly will search things I used to eat regularly to remind myself to stick to it. Knowing that something is 7+ days worth of syns really puts me off it! I think to myself that for those syns I could have literally tables full of other foods.

Its a hard one as everyone is so different, i struggle if tempation is put in front of me especially when not very focused.
I'm a firm believer if you really want it then have and get it out of your system but get right back on track (sometimes easier said than done i know only too well).
As someone said in a earlier post nothing is forbidden on SW its all about choices and having a little of something but in moderation x

I find the easiest way to avoid the bad things is to have something similar but is low syn or free.

With other diets if you want a cookie or something you have to say "No... I'm not allowed it and I will not eat anything". The bonus I find with SW is saying "I'm not allowed a cookie, but I am allowed a muller light yoghurt with jelly.." I think the worst thing of passing by good food is the feeling you cant have anything, whereas on SW you can substitute your craving with something free and not feel like you have missed out too much!

So I deal with temptation by Subsitution. =D

I have a few ways in which I deal with temptation. I tell myself I don't want whatever it is. Or I have whatever & make sure I count the syns. Or like BrightonMark I have a substitute.

Why don't you count the syns for the cupcake & take it of your weekly amount, you may find you've not gone over & still have syns left for more treats;)

When I was going to group last year, our consultant gave us all a little bit of paper, and asked us to write down the reason(s) why we decided to joing slimming world in the first place. She then gave us all a little straw (like the ones that come with kiddie's cartons of pop) and she asked us to roll up our piece of paper and push it inside the straw, and then to put it in our purses. I still have mine now, so when I reach in for some cash to buy a chocolate bar, or a bun, or a frothy creamy hot chocolate, I see the straw and it reminds me of the number 1 reason why i chose to lose weight and it stops me and makes me think if it is really worth the syns....

When I was going to group last year, our consultant gave us all a little bit of paper, and asked us to write down the reason(s) why we decided to joing slimming world in the first place. She then gave us all a little straw (like the ones that come with kiddie's cartons of pop) and she asked us to roll up our piece of paper and push it inside the straw, and then to put it in our purses. I still have mine now, so when I reach in for some cash to buy a chocolate bar, or a bun, or a frothy creamy hot chocolate, I see the straw and it reminds me of the number 1 reason why i chose to lose weight and it stops me and makes me think if it is really worth the syns....

What a brilliant idea.

Back