How do you feel about large consultants?

sheepy19 said:
My consultant was about a 16, I think any bigger might have been a bit off putting as others have said, you want to see that the plan works. Our regional manager also came by and she was a big lady, like a 20. She said she'd been doing sw for about 20yrs, and you have to wonder, why isn't she slim?

Becauae she's not perfect perhaps??? Because she has tried & tried & tried to loose weight, but maybe has a mental block?? Becausr she was a size 34 at one stage & being a size 20 means she's lost 6 stone? Any number of reasons why that don't involve judging her. And please bear in mind how many people on here have slimmed to a size 16, or 20 for that matter & are proud of themselves for doing so. It belittles those achievements when you label those sizes like you have.

I don't care what my consultant looks like - how big or small they are , whether they are male or female, brown, blue, whatever. Its not important

I'd hate to think that as a group of overweight people we would be judging someones ability to be a good consultant based on how their weight.

Need to spread the love, but blooming well said...

Although I do like the idea of smurf consultants...

MadameLaMinx said:
Need to spread the love, but blooming well said...

Although I do like the idea of smurf consultants...

Lmao!! Gonna suggest it to mine - she's usually game for a laugh ;)

My first consultant was an amazing, fantastic woman a really motivating, kind person and I lost 6 stone at her class. She was a very small lady and had lost I think 4 stone with SW (which was a huge amount for her size) and had a before picture that we were all impressed with. During the time I was there she had a few life crises and put quite a bit on, but she remained an amazing consultant. I stayed there for about 2 years until I had my own issues.

This time around I started at WW and the consultant there was nice enough but I never felt I connected with her. It felt more of a clinic and one day I found when she had lost weight with WW (as they have to do) she'd 'only' had to lose 11lb and it took about year and she had remained at target ever since.

On one level it doesn't matter, as to her that was what she needed to lose, she wanted to and understood WW through that process. But on another level I could never really connect with her as she never really could understand it from my perspective, she'd never had to face the prospect of having to lose 17 stone! Similarly I couldn't really understand what it must have been like for her. Whereas I could *so* connect with the other lady despite her having put quite a bit on purely because she was a damn good consultant, which the WW wasn't really, although she was nice enough. It seemed like it was just like an office job to her or something.

I guess what Im trying to say is no consultant can connect with everyone or understand how we all feel because we all have such different goals and backgrounds. The lady who has 11lb to lose still has a task ahead of her which I at 27+ stone could never really have understood. Someone who has stuck at target forever might never really understand someone who cant and vice versa, but that doesnt stop people being able to be fantastic consultants (or not). I think the SW lady was amazing, the WW lady not so much. Its nothing to do with what they weigh, its what their experiences have given them in being able to help other people in whatever their circumstances are, and a lot of these might be nothing to do with their weight.

I suppose like anyone else we judge people on first appearances. But when you get to know people their weight is just not an issue. Its no different to the way people judge "us" (as overweight people) when they dont know us and it becoming a non-issue once they get to know us.

Anyway, Im babbling so Im off to superfree myself :D

kingleds said:
Becauae she's not perfect perhaps??? Because she has tried & tried & tried to loose weight, but maybe has a mental block?? Becausr she was a size 34 at one stage & being a size 20 means she's lost 6 stone? Any number of reasons why that don't involve judging her. And please bear in mind how many people on here have slimmed to a size 16, or 20 for that matter & are proud of themselves for doing so. It belittles those achievements when you label those sizes like you have.

Well said, I've got about 7/8 stone still to go, and one of my aims at the moment is to get into a lovely dress I've got that is an 18/20, and I find that persons comment quite offensive to be honest! By the time it fits, then I will probably have lost about 4.5/5 stone which surely is no mean feat!!! Thanks for defending the larger members on here! We sometimes have a tough enough time in the real world without it carrying over to our 'safe place' on here x

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

So we're not allowed to express opinions on here now? Others said they would find a larger consultant off putting, thats all I was saying. I appreciate that some members are larger than others. I started at about a 20, I now fit most 18s, I know as well as the next person that losing weight is incredibly hard. But the regional manager was rather on the large side and I would've thought that after 20yrs, what ever size she started at that she would've been a healthy bmi. If she's happy the way she is then thats fine, I personally want to see relatively healthy looking people leading the way to set a good example and show that its achievable to go from overweight/obese to healthy.

Of course you are entitled to your opinion. I'm also entitled to disagree with it and point out if what you are saying might be offensive to other forum members. Whilst many people said they would a larger consultant no one but you put a value on that larger consultant in sIze terms which could ( and was) be seen as offensive.

The thing is, SW don't set your target for you, you do it yourself and there is nothing in their rules that says you must be a healthy BMI to call target. The only rule afaik is that you must have lost at least 7lb before you do. If someone had a BMI of *plucks random figure from the air* say.. 65, and reduces their weight down so their BMI is then... say... 35, they have still lost a significant amount of weight and have spent long enough learning and understanding the plan to be an effective ambassador for the fact that it works, and could be a great consultant. But they don't have a "healthy" BMI, so what? They are still a damn sight healthier and most likely happier than they were!

So why shouldn't they be as good as anyone thinner at doing the job?

In my opinion a larger consultant wouldn't put me off at first, especially if they had a before picture hanging around so you could see their journey but it would make me stop and think for a minute about whether i'd stay for IT.

There would be a number of factors to my decision of whether or not to stay for IT. Obviously having a larger consultant makes no odds to the mechanics of paying and weighing, so lets assume that's not part of the discussions.

If the consultant was still on their journey and still losing weight then i'd stay because they'd be along the ride with you.

If the consultant was large but had declared target, then i'd stay. Who I am to say what their target should be?

But if the consultant was still on their journey but wasn't losing weight I wouldn't stay to IT for 2 reasons:
1. If the consultant is struggling with weight loss, how can they inspire others, I stay for IT for a top up of willpower for the coming week, if my consultant clearly has none then where would my top up come from?
2. If they are trying but not losing any weight, you'd question their application of the plan and therefore you'd question everything they told you - not what i'm looking for.

I understand that consultants are people too BUT their job at group is to help people lose weight and if they're not setting the example then what's the point in staying?

xx

Last edited:
kingleds said:
I don't care what my consultant looks like - how big or small they are , whether they are male or female, brown, blue, whatever. Its not important

I'd hate to think that as a group of overweight people we would be judging someones ability to be a good consultant based on how their weight.

Couldn't agree with u more, weird how the fatties are judging other fatties. Surely we should be more empathetic to them?

Agree with the- 'they should practice what they preach' concept though..

2. If they are trying but not losing any weight, you'd question their application of the plan and therefore you'd question everything they told you - not what i'm looking for.

I understand that consultants are people too BUT their job at group is to help people lose weight and if they're not setting the example then what's the point in staying?

xx

It could be they have a medical issue that's preventing them from losing weight, or making it far harder to lose weight. They may even be taking medication such as steroids which are causing them to struggle with losing weight. Who knows?

I don't go to a group, so I probably shouldn't be sticking my nose in on this thread, but it wouldn't bother me what size or shape the consultant was. Just because someone is big doesn't mean that they can't inspire people to lose weight! And they may have already lost a lot of weight, but still need to lose some more to get to target. They may still technically be overweight, but happy with their size and weight at that point, and may have successfully maintained for ages. That would inspire me and give me faith in their knowledge and understanding of the SW plan!

At the end of the day, what I'd want is an inspirational consultant...this doesn't have to only be about getting to target. Some consultants may inspire their members to be creative with new recipes, or with new ingredients thay they haven't tried. They may inspire someone by how helpful and kind they are. Or by how non-judgemental they are. Different people can be inspired by different qualities.

I do sometimes feel that we focus too much on what we weigh and how we look, and that we compare ourselves to others too often (this won't apply to everyone, I know! :) I'm guilty of it though!).

When I've lost weight I just want to be happy...whether I'm slim and happy, or still slightly chubby but happy, I don't care! :D :8855:

xxx

I think we are all going to relate to different consultants in our own way whether thats because they are bigger, smaller, male, female etc and hopefully we can all find one that can help us follow/keep to the sw plan.
I can see both sides of this and I am one of those people that has set their own target by personal preference rather than a figure on a graph.
Part of my motivation to keep going as long as I did was to get to a weight where I thought I could become a consultant without people thinking I wouldn't know what I was talking about because I was so big. I would still like to become a consultant in the future but some people would still probably consider me too big.
As sw do not make it so that c's have to stay at target or set a certain target in the first place to be/remain c's then maybe we should trust their judgement and find a c we like under that umbrella (hopefully!)

I don't think its about being judgemental, i think it's about personal preference, nothing more.

I mean- i wouldn't be able to have a male C, because of certain issues i have- nothing personal against male C's, but its just my personal preference.

The same that i would feel more comfortable around a C that is.....well, not uber skinny.

Actually what i find more important is the motivation a C gives, the advice, guidance and tolerance for newbies (well, im not new but i still need some hand holding) My C gives all that. I don't think of the size now, that's irrelevant to me. The fact that she is a size whatever (i dont even want to guess cus im cr@p at it) doesnt matter

i guess thats slightly contradictory- but im too tired to think clearly lol

I can understand feeling intimidated by a skinny mini that never had more than a stone to lose when you have quite a few stones to go.
However, I would still prefer a slim consultant that is say, no bigger than a size 12. Seeing a slim consultant would inspire me and show me that the plan works.

It's true that the consultant might be on meds or lost lots of weight and still on journey but unless they say that and mention it every week whenever there is a new member, how will people know?

My consultant is on the larger side, and told me when I went back last week that she's still losing weight and goes to a group herself as a member. I was fine with that, as I knew she'd be able to help me if I have any problems myself.

The size of the consultant doesn't matter to me- I only really noticed her weight because she mentioned it :) More important is having someone who I feel is able to help me, and is able to understand my circumstances. I think I've found that with my consultant (who did notice I'd lost weight in the 3 years since I last went there) :)

if someones consultant is, what has been described as 'on the larger side', then maybe he or she did get to target, or get near to it, or even lose a few stone and still has a way to go. but then became a consultant, and now put all of his/her energy into getting all those other people to where they want to be and has put themselves to one side and is making slow progress too.
also maybe they lost say 5 stone and is now at a weight that they've never been before, for example at a size 16, they feel amazing. i don't understand why someone would judge them just because they look like they've not made an effort.
i'm sure that a consultant will share their story to an extent but they certainly don't have to justify why they aren't a size 12 or whatever. they're there to get US to where we want to be. theres plenty on here including myself who can vouch for sw working, thats the main thing right? :)

It could be they have a medical issue that's preventing them from losing weight, or making it far harder to lose weight. They may even be taking medication such as steroids which are causing them to struggle with losing weight. Who knows?

I don't go to a group, so I probably shouldn't be sticking my nose in on this thread, but it wouldn't bother me what size or shape the consultant was. Just because someone is big doesn't mean that they can't inspire people to lose weight! And they may have already lost a lot of weight, but still need to lose some more to get to target. They may still technically be overweight, but happy with their size and weight at that point, and may have successfully maintained for ages. That would inspire me and give me faith in their knowledge and understanding of the SW plan!

xxx

I did mention in my post that if the consultant had decalred target then I would stay and if they were still losing I would stay.

My issue is with consultants who have either given up with the plan or are doing it wrong.
I've had a consultant like that and it's really awful and uninspiring and the reason I left SW and gave up myself.

I may be being judgemental, but having a large consultant who is not losing (but wants to!) is not for me.

xx

Back