How do you feel about large consultants?

I think there are 2 issues here. 1) a consultant who doesn't practice what they preach (in that they don't follow the plan) and 2) an overweight consultant. I don't think anyone would disagree that a consultant who does not follow the plan is not a good role model. The issue here is that it seems to be the case that people are assuming that (a) is the case because of (b) - which is a false assumption. It is perfectly plausible that as a newbie you could walk into a group and see a consultant who is a size 20 for example. Its equally plausible that she is 5 stone lighter than when she started SW.

I genuinely cannot believe how many people on here seem to think its acceptable to label someone due to their size. Me thinks some people have very short memories.

My turn!
My consultant is very overweight. I wouldn’t have a problem with this – I really wouldn’t – if my consultant ‘joined in’. I’ve read about consultants who weigh in with the Group, talk about their own weight loss journey, and admit their own successes and failures. I would love that and am jealous.
My consultant on the other hand just lectures and harangues, setting unrealistic targets (told me I should lose a ½ stone in the first week and made me feel like a failure when I ‘only’ lost 1 ½ lb “Are you happy with that?” she said)!!! When I started I just felt like another sausage in her machine (low syn of course!).
If a consultant could prove that they’ve done it, doing it, knows what it feels like I would have respect no matter what his/her size. If a consultant is showing no evidence of any of this then I have no respect.
What makes me turn up to group is the support of the other members and the discipline of the weekly weigh in. It’s certainly not my consultant! What supports me during the week is the lovely people in this forum and reading about other peoples successes, failures and the general mad banter!
I'm feeling calmer now after that rant...thanks for listening!

My turn!
My consultant is very overweight. I wouldn’t have a problem with this – I really wouldn’t – if my consultant ‘joined in’. I’ve read about consultants who weigh in with the Group, talk about their own weight loss journey, and admit their own successes and failures. I would love that and am jealous.
My consultant on the other hand just lectures and harangues, setting unrealistic targets (told me I should lose a ½ stone in the first week and made me feel like a failure when I ‘only’ lost 1 ½ lb “Are you happy with that?” she said)!!! When I started I just felt like another sausage in her machine (low syn of course!).
If a consultant could prove that they’ve done it, doing it, knows what it feels like I would have respect no matter what his/her size. If a consultant is showing no evidence of any of this then I have no respect.
What makes me turn up to group is the support of the other members and the discipline of the weekly weigh in. It’s certainly not my consultant! What supports me during the week is the lovely people in this forum and reading about other peoples successes, failures and the general mad banter!
I'm feeling calmer now after that rant...thanks for listening!

She just sounds plain awful!!! I'd be complaining to head office if it were me.

My consultant has been both very overweight and near on anorexic, and is very open with us about how much she struggles with her weight, and how the plan helps her. When she goes on holiday she sets herself a goal of how much weight she will accept putting on - and she tells us how she's done against it when she gets back. She also then lets us know how long she has given herself to loose it all again - and keeps us updated. I like this about her - she's completely realistic about the plan, has lost a significant amount of weight doing it, and enthusiastic about it as well.

it helps she's a bit batty too - which some would think is a bad thing, but she makes me laugh every week!!

I understand that consultants are people too BUT their job at group is to help people lose weight and if they're not setting the example then what's the point in staying?

xx

My consultant who put on some weight had lost two very close family members in quick succession. I think that in that state weight loss would be the least of my worries too. Nevertheless she continued to work insanely hard and motivate us with extracurricular activities every single week. And she succeeded. I lost six stone. She had a very successful group. Should she lose her job because she put weight on?

The WW lady who had remained at target for ever after losing 11lbs in a year gave me no motivation whatsoever, just reading out pre-prepared WW scripts every week to a room of bored-looking people, half of whom left immediately after WI. I stayed for four weeks as it was crap. Sure, she can keep the job as she was at target - but I wont be attending her class.

Come on! I'm not that hard hearted that I don't understand reasons behind weight gain and I wouldn't leave a group because my consultant had put on weight due for reasons like that.

I'm talking in generalities, which is the only thing you can do, and in general - not taking into account specific circumstances - if a consultant isn't practising what they preach - for me - they aren't inspiring and why should I bother staying, on the general proviso that if they can't inspire themselves how can they inspire their group?

I think I put enough caveats in that sentence to make sure that no-one can get their nose out of joint reading it....

The thing is though, you arent going to know whether a consultant is inspiring or not until you have attended a few of their classes. By which time their weight will be pretty much irrelevant, because you will have got to know them, maybe heard a bit of their own story, and be able to see how the other members have got on under their care - all of which are far more valuable markers of success than what size she/he might happen to be.

There is no real way of knowing what a consultants home behaviour is like without living with them 24 hours a day - so its impossible to decide whether they practice what they preach unless they are trotting into class and blatantly stating that they havent been.

I don't care what my consultant looks like - how big or small they are , whether they are male or female, brown, blue, whatever. Its not important

I'd hate to think that as a group of overweight people we would be judging someones ability to be a good consultant based on how their weight.

But I think it does matter if a consultant is overweight and not losing. I wouldn't judge an overweight consultant as a person, but I certainly would judge their ability to practise what they were preaching.The whole SW business is about weight loss so they should be setting the example. If a consultant is constantly banging on about how fabulous food optimising is, and clearly isn't doing it him/herself, then that's not really going to inspire the class members.

But I think it does matter if a consultant is overweight and not losing. I wouldn't judge an overweight consultant as a person, but I certainly would judge their ability to practise what they were preaching.The whole SW business is about weight loss so they should be setting the example. If a consultant is constantly banging on about how fabulous food optimising is, and clearly isn't doing it him/herself, then that's not really going to inspire the class members.

My point, but said without the gumpf. :D

xx

Please read the rest of my posts on this subject- you will see I agree wholeheartedly with the fact that a consultant should practise what they preach, I just don't agree with the assumption that because they are overweight they don't.

hi all,
last week at our group we had a stand in C, she had a fab figure and had lost with SW which was great, my usual C is probably a 14-16 and struggles but is stilll incredibly motivating, what I found sad last week was there was a new lady who had joined our group and 'confessed' that she was a C struggling with the plan. She seemed visiably upset and embarrassed that she was struggling which made me think maybe someone somewhere had made her feel that because she's a C she should be perfect.

In reality Cs are human too, agree with above, they should practice what they preach but I think I'm right i thinking we all have times when we fall off the wagon - might be for a minute, sometimes we can't get back on track for weeks.

I stay for IT because the group motivates me too, not just my C (although she is fab). The C, IMO, is a facilitator, we are all mistresses of our own destinies, and it strikes me that if we are going to be put off by an overweight consultant its just another excuse to be overweight.

x

Perhaps it would be best if we all drop this. I've always liked this forum because people are kind and understanding, I think things are getting a buit out of hand over something that doesn't really matter.

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:
I don't see that its got out of hand. Its an interesting discussion with some different opinions is all.

Also - really very confused about your comment reference kind and understanding - has anyone on this thread been rude to you? I know that people have disagreed with you maybe, but not rude as far as I can see.

I don't think it's getting out of hand either, personally

I find it interesting- seeing how other people think....it's a touchy subject, but everyone, imo, is being adult and just discussing

Ah, the joy of text.

If you come into a thread feeling already defensive because your views are being challenged then it is very easy to interpret what is being said as attacking you. As the others have said, it doesnt seem that anyone is attacking anyone here or being rude, a question was asked and views have been exchanged.

Its ok not to agree with those views, but if you dont want to take part in any further discussion about it, you dont have to call for the entire discussion to just stop - just stop discussing it yourself!!

*ETA* - if you ever find yourself fortunate enough to be asked to attend the regional finals of a SW event like Woman of The Year etc - you'll get to meet and see consultants right across the region you live in. Trust me when I tell you that they come in ALL shapes and sizes. But yet they are there to support members that have successfully lost over three stone. So they must be doing something right!

Really, its not the size of the consultant that matters at all, but how much the individual member wants to lose weight and how inspired they are by the consultant that leads them.

Last edited:
Thank goodness these "overweight" consultants don't judge US in the same way!
Imagine walking in and them saying "nope, you're TOO fat to lose enough weight here, you'll have to find another group".

Thank goodness these "overweight" consultants don't judge US in the same way!
Imagine walking in and them saying "nope, you're TOO fat to lose enough weight here, you'll have to find another group".

Well, you'd expect there to be fat people at a slimming club, but you wouldn't really expect the leader to be fat. I wouldn't expect a driving instructor to go through a red light, or a teacher to have trouble spelling, or a vicar to be an atheist therefore I would expect a slimming club leader to be a healthy weight (or at least on the way to getting there!)

lardylady said:
Well, you'd expect there to be fat people at a slimming club, but you wouldn't really expect the leader to be fat. I wouldn't expect a driving instructor to go through a red light, or a teacher to have trouble spelling, or a vicar to be an atheist therefore I would expect a slimming club leader to be a healthy weight (or at least on the way to getting there!)

Congrats - you have successfully managed to do something my husband has been attempting for years. I am genuinely speachless.

I was thinking of a way to respond to Hels comment, but you beat me to it and worded it better than I could. Exactly my sentiments.

xx

lardylady said:

Agreed, but the point I was making was the judgement.

My consultant text me to ask how my week was going and I replied asking how she was doing. She said that she's fallen off a bit and was upping her sf and exercise to make amends for the 2 lb gain she's had. This just proves she's human like the rest of us. If a doctor had to refer to a medical book because he didn't know the answer immediately, I wouldn't judge him not knowing what he was doing. An overweight consultant, as has been said a million times already may have any kind of any reason for not being a stereotypical slim jim. Doesn't mean they're not a healthy weight and doesn't mean they're not aware of their progress. Personal preference. What's slim to you may not be for others.
There's people on this site who have their goal weight as my start weight and others who have my goal weight as their start date. This doesn't mean I think they'll still be fat when they're at target. It means they'll be happy with themselves at the end. That is the individuals choice and no one can judge for that.

Back