How do you feel about large consultants?

Just wanted to add something to this thread regarding who is more inspirational. Someone who has lost loads of weight and who has a way to go or someone who has lost 2/3 stone and is at target.

I feel everyone has a cut off point as to when they say that's it I need to do something. Some people's cut off is 2/3 stone over weight. For others it maybe 10+ stone over weight each person is different.
But I personally don't think the less weight you have to lose the less inspirational you are. The feelings of being worthless, not wanting to go out, hiding yourself away, trying to control the binges and not eating in secret are the same no matter how much you have to lose. I started off needing to lose about 3 stone and am about half way through my journey but as some of you on here will know I've struggled at times. but I don't think that because I've not got as much as others to lose it makes my journey any less valid. We all have our struggles and emotions to deal with being a cons doesn't stop your eating triggers etc from surfacing. I feel so long as they can motivate me on my journey by giving advice that is relevant to me then I don't care how much they weigh.

Suppose what I'm trying to say in my rambling way is everyone is human cons or not. If they are good at their job you will lose weight no matter where they maybe in their journey.

How true! I often say to people when they ask me how much I have lost, well its just under 2.5stone! But thinking about it, it is a lot of weight and I am staying within target so I will give myself a little pat on the back. Does that sound awful? We should all be proud of our achievements, be it a small loss or a big one. And I think once at target you are still on a journey of some sorts in that you dont want to look back along that road, but forward to another maintaining one if that makes sense.

I think this all comes down to how you get inspired. For me, I just woke up one day and decided I didn't want to be over weight anymore. It wouldn't have mattered how big/small/nice/nasty my consultant was when I walked through the door. I was staying, I WAS going to loose weight. Similarly, (and I really don't want anyone to be offended by this as its not a personal thing) I don't get inspired by reading the stories in the mags, or how well people have done on here either. I am continually impressed by the amount that people loose, and I take my hat off to the perserverance of some peOple, but it doesn't ever inspire me to loose more weight or do better. Equally, when I am going through a rough patch (or 2012 as its called in my house) no amount of people being paraded in front of me in a 'look!!! it works!! - we're all slim now' way is gonna get me back on plan. The drive to do that comes from me, and me alone.

I must say I've been watching this thread with interest as I've just been accepted as a consultant (open my group in January) but am still not yet at target. I've lost just short of ten stones and have gone from a size 30ish to a 16 but am still about 2.5 stones away from target. I've wanted to be a consultant for ages but was put off because I wondered if some people would see me there, clearly not at target, and think 'hmm does it actually work then? Look at the size of her and she's a consultant!' I was reassured by my team developer and area manager that it wasn't necessary for me to be at target and that actually it might make me empathise more if I was still on my own journey too, but having read some of these comments I'm starting to worry now! I don't want anyone to walk into my group and think I'm too fat to be a role model! :(

Don't be daft! If you have gone from a size 30 to 16 that's amazing!

Well this is quite a discussion isn't it? I suppose I am very lucky to have a wonderful consultant who happens to be a Gold consultant, she has three groups in different towns and has been a consultant for about 15yrs. She must have 300+ members in her groups but each person is special to her. We are all individuals and have our own special journeys. She too is special to all of us, she is not super skinny, she has had her ups and downs like us all of life along the way. She is 100% comitted in helping us all. She is very much human and shares her bad times with us, and she gets help from us when she is struggling. She is a true insperation which shows in the fantastic weight losses that her group members acheive.

jezzi999 said:
I do agree with this Kingleds - I do it from home so ultimately the only person who can inspire me is me.

I should have added to my post that mine was a hypothetical answer as I don't attend group.

I would if I could cope with scales in my house, but I can't! Plus I like the people at my group too!

I think this all comes down to how you get inspired. For me, I just woke up one day and decided I didn't want to be over weight anymore. It wouldn't have mattered how big/small/nice/nasty my consultant was when I walked through the door. I was staying, I WAS going to loose weight. Similarly, (and I really don't want anyone to be offended by this as its not a personal thing) I don't get inspired by reading the stories in the mags, or how well people have done on here either. I am continually impressed by the amount that people loose, and I take my hat off to the perserverance of some peOple, but it doesn't ever inspire me to loose more weight or do better. Equally, when I am going through a rough patch (or 2012 as its called in my house) no amount of people being paraded in front of me in a 'look!!! it works!! - we're all slim now' way is gonna get me back on plan. The drive to do that comes from me, and me alone.

I agree, my consultant is lovely (and possibly if she was horrible I wouldn't have gone back) but it makes no difference how much she lost (haven't a clue) all i can do is hope my willpower stays with me this time

I think other members also play a big part in the 'inspiration' because in our group there are boards up of current members who have lost a lot of weight, therefore I don't think it should only depend on the consultant, member of that group that have been there a while (perhaps more so those at/ or near enough target or have lost a heck of a lot of weight) could play a big part in the whole inspiration part for existing new members. Just a thought.

kingleds said:

Totally agree. You have to be ready - last year I too decided I was ready. I equate it very much to alcoholism on that way - you have to want to stop before you can start your journey (sorry for saying journey - I hate that term actually)

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

There are mixed opinions here. Some would love someone like you who has lost a lot of weight But others wouldn't. Some would like someone like me who is at target but only lost 2 stone some wouldn't. I also am looking into being a consultant. We just cant please everyone can we. Send the people with a problem over to me and I'll send the people with a problem over to you lol. People just have different preferences.

When does your training start c

Oh! i had a (kinda) similar conversation with a friend of mine about the "success stories" in the SW magazine

(i was due on and full of hormones- that was my excuse)

I was really disheartened that the "i lost double-digit stones on sw" stories were about guys (from the ones that ive seen)

I started with 10 stone to lose- and i would get soooooooo much more from someone who got their 5 stone award and was half way than someone who had 2 stone to target and got it.

Not that having a bit less to lose and getting to target isnt awesome-but it just wasnt something i could personally relate to, and sometimes i feel *that* fat, i just need a mini pickmeup, ya know?

but ya- slight hijack there, sowwie :(

I completely agree with this!! I see success stories and see - I lost 2 stone to target and feel great. I just think... I have 14-17 stone to lose, it in no way motivates me x

I agree you have to be in the right place to succeed. You have to want to do it for yourself, no-one else, and it does come from within. You have to be in the S W zone! Rosie, you have lost just under what I have, its not "only lost 2 st" You have done brilliantly, as I said before every lb lost is success! :)

rosierose15 said:
There are mixed opinions here. Some would love someone like you who has lost a lot of weight But others wouldn't. Some would like someone like me who is at target but only lost 2 stone some wouldn't. I also am looking into being a consultant. We just cant please everyone can we. Send the people with a problem over to me and I'll send the people with a problem over to you lol. People just have different preferences.

When does your training start c

I start my training at the end of November Rosie. When do u hear? X

I had the interview on Friday and heard on tuesday evening. Good luck! I hope you do well :)

I wore black trousers and a blouse. Dressed up. Well it was an interview! They asked me all sorts of questions, nothing too formal, but it does sound like they tailor the interview questions to you and your personal information so would be hard to advise you on that. You'll be fine. :)

i think as long as you are helpful and encouraging to the people in your group it shouldn't matter either way

I think is important to remember the journey doesn't stop when you're at target, its as difficult to maintain as a target member as it is to lose, the old habits creep back in quite quickly

keyyrathome, totally agree with your post. I find maintaining really hard to be honest, I eat exactly the same as I did before target, always 100% S W and never lose anything anymore. I think my body tells me this is where I should be. I am at the bottom of my target range, ie 3 lbs below target figure of 10st 8lbs, so seem to be staying at 10st 5lbs. But I am happy with that, I just gain lots if I have a day off plan, its strange really.

Back