How do you feel about large consultants?

Big Consultants

Hi, I went to a local SW class and the Consultant has had the class 17 years so maybe she did lose weight at some time, She must weigh 18-19 stone and she is only about 4foot 9 in in height and losts of people in the class said she s never been slim in he years they have known her.I soon left her class.

How do u feel about small consultants?

My interview to be a consultant is next weekend and I am very exited. I am 22 and I have lost 2 stone through slimming world taking me down to 9 stone 5 pounds.

How do u feel about having a 9 stone 22 year old being your consultant?

I am a very nice caring person and my full time job is looking after disabled adults so I am definitely not judgemental and I treat every individual equally.

How would u feel with me being your consultant. Be honest xx

thelandlady said:
Hi, I went to a local SW class and the Consultant has had the class 17 years so maybe she did lose weight at some time, She must weigh 18-19 stone and she is only about 4foot 9 in in height and losts of people in the class said she s never been slim in he years they have known her.I soon left her class.

Did you bother to wait around long enough to figure out if she was any good at being a consultant or just judge her on her looks? Always amazed me how many overweight people feel its okay to judge people on their size, big or small.

In answer to the question about whether I would mind a slim 22 year old consultant - couldn't give a toss how old you are or how big or small you are. I care about 1) do you know the plan 2) can you give good sensible advice 3) are you enthusiastic about SW. Nothing else matters to me Hun x

I don't think age should really be an issue, but it is.

I teach private antenatal classes, I'm 23 and I would say I look my age. The look on some womans faces when they first walk into class is priceless, and I know it is because my age. I'm atleast 8 years younger than my youngest current client, it doesn't bother me though.

As for weight, I think they should have to stay within 10% of their target. All other consultants (WW/CWP) HAVE to stay within a range. But then again it's good knowing that they also have their personal journey they are going on.

Did you bother to wait around long enough to figure out if she was any good at being a consultant or just judge her on her looks? Always amazed me how many overweight people feel its okay to judge people on their size, big or small.
If she were a surgeon/shop assistant/teacher/lighthouse keeper/TV presenter/cleaner etc etc, then no. I would not judge her on her looks. But when somebody is making money out of leading a weight loss group, then yes. I will judge her ability to practise what she preaches.
I know that sometimes life gets in the way of weight loss, but SW make enough money out of us persuading us that food optimising is the way to achieve a healthy weight despite what life throws at us.

lardylady said:
If she were a surgeon/shop assistant/teacher/lighthouse keeper/TV presenter/cleaner etc etc, then no. I would not judge her on her looks. But when somebody is making money out of leading a weight loss group, then yes. I will judge her ability to practise what she preaches.
I know that sometimes life gets in the way of weight loss, but SW make enough money out of us persuading us that food optimising is the way to achieve a healthy weight despite what life throws at us.

Well I for one am extremely glad I'm not your consultant if you are this judgemental. For one thing, It is possible to still be overweight whilst having lost a load of weight. This does not detract from their ability to be a good consultant - they have proven the plan works.

I agree up to a point- but I think as someone else suggested, they could display before and after pictures. Last week, we had a stand in consultant, who has lost 10 stone following SW. He is not slim, but his photos showing his journey were really inspiring. He said that he knew that he would not be able to maintain a lower weight, so opted to have his target at a weight he could maintain.

All consultants are just like us surely? Still have a weight problem, battles, holidays, down times, who knows what they have been through.

This weight loss thing is tough, no matter who you are.

I think I've posted on this thread before so that's why it's popping up again for me.

The "larger" consultant I experienced had lost a lot of weight - about 6 stones - but had gained it back. However, this alone did not influence my decision to change groups. I stayed to group and listened to what she had to say.

She openly admitted shed always done green days and didn't really understand EE (this was late last year so it wasn't new). She also recommended crisps or chocolate before bed to use up any syns. There were other odd things like this. Anyway it wasn't just the weight gain. In fact my current consultant has gained a little back but she knows SW inside and out and she shares her weekly WI result so it's like we're in it together :)

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

I don't believe a consultant should be allowed to become one without being so close to or at a healthy weight... I would like to see someone who has took off and kept the weight off instead of someone who is still getting there.
Losing weight is often the easiest part...most diets fail at the end were about 75% end up putting the weight back on!

I,m sort of in both camps on this one! My consultant is really big (and seems to be getting bigger every day!) BUT she is absolutely fantastic at her job.She is SO knowledgeable about how slimming world works and goes into more detail about the science behind it all than any other consultant that i,ve had, which means you understand more about WHY the rules are there.HOWEVER,my OH and me have had numerous discussions (or rather arguments!) about fat consultants.His is along the lines of 'how can you take her seriously when she,s that size?!'My only answer has been as i,ve said above.So the jury,s still out methinks!
Sal

I do believe that to be a weight loss consultant you should be within a healthy Target range even if they have lost 6 stone already, if they have never been at target themselves how are they going to tell me who is a target member and has lost 8st7lbs how to maintain my target when they have never had to do it, im not being horrible im being honest :eek:

saleek1 said:
I do believe that to be a weight loss consultant you should be within a healthy Target range even if they have lost 6 stone already, if they have never been at target themselves how are they going to tell me who is a target member and has lost 8st7lbs how to maintain my target when they have never had to do it, im not being horrible im being honest :eek:

They may be at target though. As we set our own targets at sw, it may be that he/she is still slightly overweight BMI wise, but they may have started out morbidly obese and are actually happily within their target range..

They may be at target though. As we set our own targets at sw, it may be that he/she is still slightly overweight BMI wise, but they may have started out morbidly obese and are actually happily within their target range..

Yes I agree we set our own targets to what we are happy with, I don't agree with the BMI system because its not always fair we are all different builds etc, but that consultant would still be at a target which they have set and have to maintain then the advice they give will be from their own experience, im speaking from the point of view as a target member, again im just being honest, I would never be mean because I was very overweight myself .

In answer to the question about whether I would mind a slim 22 year old consultant - couldn't give a toss how old you are or how big or small you are. I care about 1) do you know the plan 2) can you give good sensible advice 3) are you enthusiastic about SW. Nothing else matters to me Hun x
Good points, a consultant should be all of those things I don't care about age either
I don't think age should really be an issue, but it is.

I teach private antenatal classes, I'm 23 and I would say I look my age. The look on some womans faces when they first walk into class is priceless, and I know it is because my age. I'm atleast 8 years younger than my youngest current client, it doesn't bother me though.

As for weight, I think they should have to stay within 10% of their target. All other consultants (WW/CWP) HAVE to stay within a range. But then again it's good knowing that they also have their personal journey they are going on.
I think the 'ageist' is often displayed more by older people looking down on younger professionals. At work everyone is older than me, and they're always stating things like, for example, the dental surgeons at their practice being 'kids'. Well if that'kid' has been through uni and got all the qualifications, does it matter how old they are?! I think sometimes older people don't have much respect for advice given by a proffesional if they're a lot younger than them. I'm young myself so maybe I am still seeing things from these young peoples point of view lol I might think differently when I'm older, hope not though!! If someone is good at theior job, to me it doesn't matter if they're 18 or 58

I'm going to stick up for you here. Personally I would be embarassed to be a consultant if I'd put all of my weight back on. Running a group should motivate you to actually follow the plan yourself. Yes, we all have bad days. Yes, we all have holidays and parties to go to, when we're entitled to time off plan. BUT I would feel hypocritical telling someone how to maintain their target if I'd not done so myself!! I know all consultants are human, but in my opinion they should practice what they preach.

I don't know what my consultant has lost, she doesn't have before and after pics (I would find this very encouraging by the way, if a consultant did this) and I think she a bit out of her target. But she is following the plan with us and gets weighed before she starts IT and tells us how much she's lost. She does know the plan, is very enthusiastic and very friendly and approachable. I wouldn't have any other consultant. The stand in one that we get when she's away I just don't gel with at all!!

So after reading what I've posted I suppose I'm at both sides on this one lol

"I'm going to stick up for you here. Personally I would be embarassed to be a consultant if I'd put all of my weight back on. Running a group should motivate you to actually follow the plan yourself. Yes, we all have bad days. Yes, we all have holidays and parties to go to, when we're entitled to time off plan. BUT I would feel hypocritical telling someone how to maintain their target if I'd not done so myself!! I know all consultants are human, but in my opinion they should practice what they preach. "

This! Yeah I'd think it'd be horrible to stand in front of a group and know your not /perhaps/ leading the way, yes everyone has problems but it shouldn't just be about money it should be about inspiring people!

Must say I am bit shocked by this thread. Surely a consultant should be judged on how good they are at their job and not their size? My consultant, at a guess, is about a size 20-22 but has lost over ten stone herself and is still on her 'journey' and us a great consultant! I would have thought the last people to judge someone on their size would be the people who are attending a weight loss group themselves. Get over yourselves and concentrate on you own weight loss...

pandora13 said:
Must say I am bit shocked by this thread. Surely a consultant should be judged on how good they are at their job and not their size? My consultant, at a guess, is about a size 20-22 but has lost over ten stone herself and is still on her 'journey' and us a great consultant! I would have thought the last people to judge someone on their size would be the people who are attending a weight loss group themselves. Get over yourselves and concentrate on you own weight loss...

:) :)

"I'm going to stick up for you here. Personally I would be embarassed to be a consultant if I'd put all of my weight back on. Running a group should motivate you to actually follow the plan yourself. Yes, we all have bad days. Yes, we all have holidays and parties to go to, when we're entitled to time off plan. BUT I would feel hypocritical telling someone how to maintain their target if I'd not done so myself!! I know all consultants are human, but in my opinion they should practice what they preach. "

This! Yeah I'd think it'd be horrible to stand in front of a group and know your not /perhaps/ leading the way, yes everyone has problems but it shouldn't just be about money it should be about inspiring people!

I agree 100%, this quote hits the nail on the head.

Back