How do you get your head "into the diet" ?

paul1978

DO NOT QUIT !
I need to re-start this diet now but head just is not into it. I've done it before and lost 7 st. I know I need to do this diet NOW due to certain things coming up in my life such as needing an operation but have to lose weight before I can have it (not looking forward to op itself either), but surprisingly not even that seems to get my head "into it."

How do you get your head "into the diet" and get yourself revved up to do it, if you really don't feel like it (but know you MUST do it) ?

Blimey the million dollar question!
I've restarted so many times. Sometimes I've felt 'into the diet' and sometimes not and have struggled each time.
Right now I'm taking every day a tiny step at a time, because I'm a massive emotional eater I can be high and motivated one minute and low and wanting to give in the next.

I keep focussing on the result and that its only a short time out of my life, but I still struggle. I also tell myself 'just do it!!'

I need to re-start this diet now but head just is not into it. I've done it before and lost 7 st. I know I need to do this diet NOW due to certain things coming up in my life such as needing an operation but have to lose weight before I can have it (not looking forward to op itself either), but surprisingly not even that seems to get my head "into it."

How do you get your head "into the diet" and get yourself revved up to do it, if you really don't feel like it (but know you MUST do it) ?

Hi Paul,

Being one of the few guys on here I have followed your progress and seen how you have struggled since your first CD journey. I am the same, I am now on my 13th CD Journey. In the early days, I could just decide to go back on it and do it, this time, it has taken me 6 weeks to get past 1 day! I always convince myself that I don't want it enough, and if I convince myself of that then maybe it is the case.

The only reason I have managed to get back on it this time (Day 7 today) is because I am desperate. I have gone back to a weight, where I am aching, tired, sweating all the time, can't get clothes to fit. I am so desperate that I think that has given me the strength to get through this week. You know you can do it because you did it before, but it is without doubt so much harder after the 1st time. I know how daunting the prospect of long term CD is, it literally fill you with fear and dread. You need to decide what is more important to you food or being slim/healthy/fit, because the fact is you are not going to lose the weight any other way - you have already tried!!

In an ideal world, I would say, set yourself a target of 2 pounds weight loss per week and a goal of losing the weight in 1 year and doing WW or Calorie count with a food diary and some books, such as The Beck Book. That would be the ideal advice if you can do it. But I cannot myself. 1 Year is too long to continue feeling unhappy and unhealthy, the results at the end of the week do not make the depriving worthwhile.

You have been back and forward too many times, you need to make a decision today and just stick to it!!!

Hi Paul,

Being one of the few guys on here I have followed your progress and seen how you have struggled since your first CD journey. I am the same, I am now on my 13th CD Journey. In the early days, I could just decide to go back on it and do it, this time, it has taken me 6 weeks to get past 1 day! I always convince myself that I don't want it enough, and if I convince myself of that then maybe it is the case.

The only reason I have managed to get back on it this time (Day 7 today) is because I am desperate. I have gone back to a weight, where I am aching, tired, sweating all the time, can't get clothes to fit. I am so desperate that I think that has given me the strength to get through this week. You know you can do it because you did it before, but it is without doubt so much harder after the 1st time. I know how daunting the prospect of long term CD is, it literally fill you with fear and dread. You need to decide what is more important to you food or being slim/healthy/fit, because the fact is you are not going to lose the weight any other way - you have already tried!!

In an ideal world, I would say, set yourself a target of 2 pounds weight loss per week and a goal of losing the weight in 1 year and doing WW or Calorie count with a food diary and some books, such as The Beck Book. That would be the ideal advice if you can do it. But I cannot myself. 1 Year is too long to continue feeling unhappy and unhealthy, the results at the end of the week do not make the depriving worthwhile.

You have been back and forward too many times, you need to make a decision today and just stick to it!!!

I didnt expect to read that someone has been following my journey, wow. I can associate with everything you have just said there. You mention about being tired, achey and sweaty all the time nowadays. snap. I cant walk to my local shops and back without sweating, and they are just over the road, thats how bad it is and you are right, the thought of CD long-time does fill me with dread and it is scary. Last time I done CD I was on it non-stop for about 7-8 months and now I think "How in the world did I do it for that long !" It doesnt seem real, apart from the photos Ive got. I just want to be slim, fit and healthy as I have a lot of things planned for when I get slim, fit and healthy because I am unable to do them now.
I totally agree what you said about WW (or SW) taking too long. I dont want to wait for a year plus to be able to be slim and do the stuff I want to do, so that is the reason I keep coming back to this diet, even though I cant get into it.
You are SOOO right when you say that I have been back and forwards too many times and I need to make a decision and stick to it. Easier said than done, but I totally agree with you 110%. That made me feel better just reading what you wrote there so thank you.

Hi Paul,

Im only on day 3 of my numerous re start, but this is definately my last re start! Im taking it a step at a time as the full picture does look daunting, but I know I will get there, as will you!!! Iv started on SS but if I do struggle, Il not beat myself up but will go to SS+. Id rather change plan then give up. You know you can do it hunnie cos you did it before.....look at your pics and think back to how you felt with your achievements and take yourself back to there.......its not easy, but you have a great team not behind you, but with you :) Lets do this!!!! I look forward to following your progress x
ps where in Herts u from, i used to live in Hatfield :)

I didnt expect to read that someone has been following my journey, wow. I can associate with everything you have just said there. You mention about being tired, achey and sweaty all the time nowadays. snap. I cant walk to my local shops and back without sweating, and they are just over the road, thats how bad it is and you are right, the thought of CD long-time does fill me with dread and it is scary. Last time I done CD I was on it non-stop for about 7-8 months and now I think "How in the world did I do it for that long !" It doesnt seem real, apart from the photos Ive got. I just want to be slim, fit and healthy as I have a lot of things planned for when I get slim, fit and healthy because I am unable to do them now.
I totally agree what you said about WW (or SW) taking too long. I dont want to wait for a year plus to be able to be slim and do the stuff I want to do, so that is the reason I keep coming back to this diet, even though I cant get into it.
You are SOOO right when you say that I have been back and forwards too many times and I need to make a decision and stick to it. Easier said than done, but I totally agree with you 110%. That made me feel better just reading what you wrote there so thank you.

No probs mate

I know exactly what you mean about not believing that you did it for so long first time and it being a blur, I'm the same. I just think OMG how did I ever do that, but I did and so I can again. You are also right about being easier said than done to make a decision and stick to it. I talk a good game, but I am sh1t at it. Since November I have gained 4 stone and all through that period I have been trying to diet. WW, SW, Atkins, calorie counting -p can't do any for a sustained period of time. Every time I have tried CD, I have not got past lunchtime, because I have talked myself out of it. "It's too hard"." It just isn't worth it" I can't do this for that long." I'll just come off it and eat sensibly and lose the weight slowly." Any of these sound familiar? The fact is if I could do it the 'normal' way I would have and I wouldn't be where I am now. CD is the only thing that makes me lose weight. It doesn't make me maintain the loss or do anything else for e, these are things I still need to sort out, but it DOES lose vast amounts of weight quickly.

In my quest for being slim, I have had 8 months with a shrink one-to-one and extensive course of weight related hypnosis, tried every diet in the boo and 5 years on, here I am back on CD. So, in short, you aint alone, yours and my stories are the pretty much the same as everybody's on here.

Look at it this way. I bet at the moment you are gaining weight every week? I have been gaining up to 5 pounds per week. Get back on CD and you (going by previous) will lose about 6 pounds a week on average. Work out the weight difference between what you will be on CD in 6 months and what you will be without CD in 6 months and it won't just be 8, 10 or however many stones you lose, you will also be probably about 2, 3 or even4 stone extra lighter than what you would gain in that time.

My advice, and believe me, I know it's easy to say (but remember I am talking from somebody who a week ago was where you are) get back on it and get it done. 6 months is nothing and it will change every aspect of your life for the better and you can get on with your life and be happy again!

Good luck bud

I have re-started loads of times too. I got to my ideal size the first time and it seemed so easy and yet it seems so difficult when you have to start again. I am on day 11 of hopefully my last re-start. I am working through the Beck Book too which I think is helping me in that I am not only accountable to myself my CDC and my partner but also to this book. I think in fact focusing on the tasks in it is helping to take my mind off the diet. I don't think you ever are ready for doing the diet and I don't really think there is a right "head space" to be in. I think it is about saying "do it anyway" (from the beck book). I don't think anyone actually wants to do this diet. I think the difference is some people just "do it anyway".

I have re-started loads of times too. I got to my ideal size the first time and it seemed so easy and yet it seems so difficult when you have to start again. I am on day 11 of hopefully my last re-start. I am working through the Beck Book too which I think is helping me in that I am not only accountable to myself my CDC and my partner but also to this book. I think in fact focusing on the tasks in it is helping to take my mind off the diet. I don't think you ever are ready for doing the diet and I don't really think there is a right "head space" to be in. I think it is about saying "do it anyway" (from the beck book). I don't think anyone actually wants to do this diet. I think the difference is some people just "do it anyway".

Hiya - is the Beck book working O.K in conjunction with CD. The parts of Beck that I read were all talking you out of doing a diet like CD (i.e what is 'percieved' as a quick fix) and looking at a long term slower plan?

Hiya - is the Beck book working O.K in conjunction with CD. The parts of Beck that I read were all talking you out of doing a diet like CD (i.e what is 'percieved' as a quick fix) and looking at a long term slower plan?

Hi, I am just ignoring those bits. May seem a bit counter productive but I just tend to think she is talking more about the likes of the maple syrup diet and things like that and don't let it apply to CD. Some of the aspects of it are hard to fit with it but I think the extra effort of doing that is also doing me good. It's hard for example to sit down and drink a shake noticing everything about it but this works with the bars. I am more interested in the bits where you are learning to recognise what your body is actually trying to tell you and the bits that encourage you to make life changes such as the excercise and not giving into yourself. I would recommend it purely for those reasons. Also the reaffirmation twice a day of why you are doing it helps. I think if people are having a hard time getting started again it is probably helpful in that it gives you two weeks to prepare yourself.

Hi, I am just ignoring those bits. May seem a bit counter productive but I just tend to think she is talking more about the likes of the maple syrup diet and things like that and don't let it apply to CD. Some of the aspects of it are hard to fit with it but I think the extra effort of doing that is also doing me good. It's hard for example to sit down and drink a shake noticing everything about it but this works with the bars. I am more interested in the bits where you are learning to recognise what your body is actually trying to tell you and the bits that encourage you to make life changes such as the excercise and not giving into yourself. I would recommend it purely for those reasons. Also the reaffirmation twice a day of why you are doing it helps. I think if people are having a hard time getting started again it is probably helpful in that it gives you two weeks to prepare yourself.

Cool - cheers for that :)

Cool - cheers for that :)

No problem. let me know if you are going to give it a go and what you think. Some of it is quite funny. Giving yourself credit is strangely difficult.

I have The Beck Book after many recommendations from this forum, but as of yet haven't had time to actually read it.

Give it a go. It may help. it gives you two weeks to prepare so now is as good a time as any. Dr Beck says you have to make time to diet. Do it now. thought the tough talk might help. Works on my OH.

paul1978 said:
I have The Beck Book after many recommendations from this forum, but as of yet haven't had time to actually read it.

I sat and read it in one afternoon. I was looking for all the reasons why it wouldn't work for me......but I didn't find any!
I then worked through the days slowly and did all the exercises.

That was a couple of months ago, so I'm about ready to reread it again.

I can honestly say - the only reason I am confident I will get to goal this time, and will maintain it, is down to this book.

Referring to Big H's comment about it not applying to CD, I read it from the stance that I'm already at goal, following SW. I know maintenance is the hardest bit, so know that if I am to maintain this, I need to follow the principles of SW forever (with a few flex syn days thrown in for good measure!)
Reading the book in this way has already started to change my thought process and my attitude.

I know this is it for me. If I get to goal, and then put it all back on, I will not be able to find the strength to do this again. Therefore I have put a lot of thought into maintenance, and am spending this time on CD trying to prepare me mentally for the rest of my life at goal!

Good luck whatever you decide!

It's a bit like running and walking for me. Sometimes both are a complete joy, easy to do, enjoy the view, breathe deep and relax into it - you just motor on unconsciously. Some days it's rainy or the ground is hard and your shoes are rubbing or there's a b*gger of a hill to get up...if you look to the distance it becomes painful and hard, so you just have to look at your feet - one step at a time, or distract yourself by singing a song or doing something that takes your mind off it. All the time remembering that you'll get there if you just put one foot in front of the other. You can also plan your escape routes - that can be a good distraction - as long as you keep telling yourself that finishing properly is your choice and you choose to achieve.

That's sort of how I do it...that and imagining the face of my mortal enemy when I next see them... ;)

Hi - I completely get what you are going through and this diet is so difficult if your mind isnt in the right place. I did CD 2 years ago started off brilliantly no blips no cheating nothing - I then came off for my sisters wedding weekend - and I just could not get back in to it! I tried several times and just ended up wasting time money and effort - my head just wasnt in the right place! - and to be honest I probably gained more than I lost during that period and just dug myself in a hole. I would start the week all positive after day 2 I would begin to falter then I would convince myself that there was always tomorrow then I knew I had failed then I would get emotional and then eat to cheer me up then hate what I had done and decide I really needed to do this and thats the circle I went through over and over again! I really wish I had just stopped drawn a line decided it wasnt the right time for me to be doing this and moved on or tried something else. I have recently started again I'm on day 13 this time and havent cheated once my head is in the right place - and I know it probably sounds silly but I tested myself before I would allow myself to contact my CDC - by deciding right if I really want to do this then I would go to the gym everyday for 2 weeks and lose 4lbs - I then gave myself a challenge of cutting down on carbs for the few weeks before and upping my water intake and when I proved to myself that I could do that I contacted my cdc and started the plan. In fact I made it so much easier for myself this time round as at the end of day 1, I was already in ketosis and this time I know I will stick with it.
Cd is too expensive not to stick at it - maybe stop for a few weeks set yourself some other goals to prepare you for your journey. Whatever you decide to do good luck and I hope you get there eventually x

HTML:
HTML:

I've read the first few chapters, but I prefer "Only Fat People Skip Breakfast" by Lee Janolgy.

I've also had many restarts, I do think you've got to get your head in the right place. Tell yourself that you can do this.

Back