How do you get your head round it?

Hi Everyone

Just wanted some advise really. I've been fat all my life and this is the first diet I've properly stuck to. I've lost about 4 stone on CD so far which has taken me down to 10.8 (about 3 stone lighter than I've ever been). I'm 5ft 7 and people keep telling me I've lost enough and I'll start to look poorly if I lose anymore. The problem is, when I look in the mirror I still think I look enormous and not really very much different than I did at 14.8. I'm not sure if it's because I've lost it quite quickly and I haven't quite got my head round it yet.
I know my clothes don't fit me, I'm wearing different things in smaller sizes and I feel a bit better about myself, but I still feel a long way off where I want to be and I certainly would never describe myself as thin or slim. I've always thought I'd like to be 9st (which would mean my BMI was still in the healthy range).
Does anyone else struggle to see a change that others appear to after losing weight or am I just whinging about nothing?

xxxxxxxx

Hi Everyone

Just wanted some advise really. I've been fat all my life and this is the first diet I've properly stuck to. I've lost about 4 stone on CD so far which has taken me down to 10.8 (about 3 stone lighter than I've ever been). I'm 5ft 7 and people keep telling me I've lost enough and I'll start to look poorly if I lose anymore. The problem is, when I look in the mirror I still think I look enormous and not really very much different than I did at 14.8. I'm not sure if it's because I've lost it quite quickly and I haven't quite got my head round it yet.
I know my clothes don't fit me, I'm wearing different things in smaller sizes and I feel a bit better about myself, but I still feel a long way off where I want to be and I certainly would never describe myself as thin or slim. I've always thought I'd like to be 9st (which would mean my BMI was still in the healthy range).
Does anyone else struggle to see a change that others appear to after losing weight or am I just whinging about nothing?

xxxxxxxx

Hi Lindsay,

Congratulations on sticking with your diet and losing 4 stone weight. Well done.

I think because you lose the weight so fast with a vlcd it does take the head a while to catch up as for looking in the mirror you still see yourself as fat...I would suffere from time to time with that one as well.

My poor husband was totally confused when this started about three weeks into the diet and I could see no improvement myself even though the scales was saying I was 18lbs. down over a stone!!!

What he done was get my before and after photos and put them on the computer side by side and this is the only way at the time I could relate to the difference.

I found I go through phases of when I seem to see myself as is...at the moment I think I see myself as is for I fell and look slim...I do know I have another three stone or so to lose, but I can see the huge differnce and progress I have made from the start.

I am wondering will I go through this body image thing again or not?

I was looking at your BMI and it says you are 23.2 and in the normal range.

Here is the link to check it out yourself:
http://nhlbisupport.com/bmi/

What step on CD are you doing now?

Love Mini xxx

It does take a while for your head to catch up when you've lost weight quickly.

Every time I iron my clothes, I think I've shrunk them in the wash as I'm not used to seeing the smaller clothes on the ironing board! But lo and behold, they fit when I actually put them on!

Thank you again, it's nice to know other people go through the thoughts.

I'm on the 1000 cals now and would like to lose another stone, maybe stone and a half.

It's stupid things like I still wont go into what I think are "thin girls shops" like H&M and Topshop, because I've always thought people would look at me and think what's a fat lass like that thinking she could buy in here! I don't know why I care what other people might think, but I do.

I know it's all in my head and I'm sure looking at photos would be a good place to start.

Somedays I think I've set myself up for a fall as, for lots of reasons, I think I decided that all my problems were because I was fat and if I lost weight everything would be fine - harsh realisation that life's not like that!

xxxxxxxxx

Thank you again, it's nice to know other people go through the thoughts.

I'm on the 1000 cals now and would like to lose another stone, maybe stone and a half.

It's stupid things like I still wont go into what I think are "thin girls shops" like H&M and Topshop, because I've always thought people would look at me and think what's a fat lass like that thinking she could buy in here! I don't know why I care what other people might think, but I do.

I know it's all in my head and I'm sure looking at photos would be a good place to start.

Somedays I think I've set myself up for a fall as, for lots of reasons, I think I decided that all my problems were because I was fat and if I lost weight everything would be fine - harsh realisation that life's not like that!

xxxxxxxxx

Hi Lindsay,

I think we start out feeling perhaps if we were slimmer etc., that all our problems would be gone, or a lot less and in some ways they are...but like everyone on this planet we all take baggage with us as we travel through life, this is just the way life is.

I have found this weight loss journey very emotional at times and I have cried buckets!!!

But I have been able to get rid of not only my biggest fat clothes but some stuff that no longer serves me and along with it some friends and family members as well...it has been tough at times, no two ways about it.

I feel like I am claiming my life for me!

Losing our weight is one part of the journey and we all know keeping it off is the other that is why I feel online support from others who have lost or those that are going through this process is essential and for continued well being to have somehwere to log into and have a few friendly faces to come and just chill out with us and let us rant on, offer support and a little bit of TLC as we can all do with it from time to time.

I hope that members who lose weight will stay around and offer guidance an support for those who are starting out, because nothing helps more than to have someone who has been through the mill themselves.

It does make such a difference to feel someone can understand where your coming from and to shine the light on where we are heading...

I think we all or most of us suffer from the fear of putting it back on once we reach goal...how are you finding the reintroduction of food?

Love Mini xxx

Last edited:
Thanks Mini, that means a lot. I can't get over how lovely, kind and non judgemental everyone on this site is.
I'm finding it really tough introducing food. I always knew that for me SS'ing was the easy part. I loved that control of only being able to have what was in the little blue box. It's not that I feel out of control now, just maybe a bit scared if that makes sense?? I think SS'ing has taught me alot about how I use food and when/why I overeat and I feel utterly determined not to regress into old habits. It's made me find other things activities of an non-food realted nature to occupy myself when I've got th urge to eat.
I've also been so suprised by some peoples reactions, people I've known for a long time. It's clear they've liked me being their "fat friend" and as such I was their confidence boost and somehow see me totally differently now I'm a bit thinner. I don't really understand their motives, but am finding them cruel and hurtful and so different to I expected.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi lindsay, I am also feeling the same way. I also lost 4 and went down to 11. stone and am now 11.8 as I couldnt get my head round re eating.. My image which I knew was slimmer as I could now wear 12/14 clothes was still alien to me and I still felt like I did when bigger. I didnt enjoy the new me properly and it felt like a dream i might wake up from... I still havent gone out and bought all the clothes i promised myself like you i cant make myself go into the trendy shops and try something on... i dont know why!!! I am also 5.7 and have lost so called friends and my familyis my life but some of my family is funny with me as well.... I have decided i dont care what they say or think I did this for myself and will loose a bit more until I feel ok with myself... I hope you crack the maintenaince part and find a weight you are ok with.... good luck and i agree with all mini says...
love debxxxx:) :)

Thank you so much Deb. It's makes such a difference to know I'm not alone.
I'm amazed at how emotional I've finding my little weight loss journey!

You've done fantastically and I'm really chuffed for you

xxxxxxxxxxxx

It does help when you have someone who understands what you are going through a lot!!!! I got through reading posts last year and it kept me going... I also thought all my worries and upset would be gone with my weight but that was just wishfull thinking, life goes on i realised and not all is good..

I am much better now as it affected my health but but even though family have been great they dont really understand how you feel inside. Hubby said arent you happy now you are thinner and i said yes but it made me realise just loosing weight doesnt make everything suddenly great!!! I still cant do everything I want to do and that still hurts.... Hope you are not too downhearted at mo I always smile and tell myself it will get better, it has to i believe it!!!!
Ta for reply... Look after yourself ....... WE CAN DO IT!!!!!
LOVE AND SUPPORT DEB xxxxxxx:D

I'm having a cry again now!
Thank you Deb, you're right WE CAN DO IT. Onwards and upwards (or downwards in the case of my scales!). I think I just need to realise that some people aren't worth having in my life and that my problems are still my problems - no amount of thinness will take them away.

Thank you again for your words of wisdom and support, people like you and Mini have made a really poo day not so bad.

xxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi lindsay , just went onto the tickerfactory and glitterkiss and realised I could do it if i only tried and believed :) :eek:

Its true we can do it!!!!!!!

Love debxxxxxxxx

Have a great day you deserve it:D

:)
Hi lindsay , just went onto the tickerfactory and glitterkiss and realised I could do it if i only tried and believed :) :eek:

Its true we can do it!!!!!!!

Love debxxxxxxxx

Have a great day you deserve it:D

I agree it is lovely!

Eleanor Roosevelt
You gain strength, courage and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, 'I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along.' You must do the thing you think you cannot do. :)

What a fantastic thread! :D

Back