How do you recover from a binge?

Jenna88

Gold Member
I am SO annoyed with myself, I've completely ballsed up my week in one evening. I feel physically ill and am fully ashamed of what I've just put away. I feel the need to type it out in the hope if shaming myself - big bag of sensations, pack of maltesers, 7 hi fi bars.

I am fully aware how disgusting it is and in all honesty I never would have done something like that prior to sw. I'm so raging that one evening will have set back the past few weeks work and I'm considering changing my wi back to a Sunday morning for free as obv going to group hasn't changed my behaviours.

Is there anyone else who binges? How do you recover from it? How do you stop yourself from doing it? It's really left me feeling crap tonight and like I literally can't do anything.

Apologies for wallowing when it's all my own fault but I guess I'm just looking for some advice

This is my 3rd weekend running of binging had loads of birthdays this month I don't normally drink but social occasions call for it so obviously Sunday's are hangover cure days today has been a flake mint aero pack of chedders 2 slices of chocolate cake and a chinese ! Not at all looking forward to weigh in but in my opinions I'm in this for the long run some times you are going to slip up or have occasions you can't avoid so I'm just going to start again tomorrow like nothing happened mabe have a long walk or have a few less syns and loads of super free to be honest over the 3 bad weeks I have only gained 1lb so I can live with that this weekend is another one so get this over and get back on track. Don't be to hard on yourself you are only human and I'm a bit jealous of your malteasers lol x

Firstly, relax. You're human, you made a mistake. Take a breath, have a cup of tea and a bath.

Secondly, don't beat yourself up. That will, sadly, just lead to binging again. Thinking negatively about yourself will reinforce that you don't deserve to be happy, and might result in you making mistakes again. Be kind to yourself. If you feel yourself thinking or feeling badly about yourself, recognise that you're having that thought and make an effort to change it.

For example - 'I'm feeling like I've done something disgusting and I'm angry with myself. I shouldn't be. Instead, I'm going to recognise that I've made a mistake and be kind to myself about that - like I would if someone was coming to me with this problem'.

Thirdly, reflect on what happened, once you're relaxed. You might have made this mistake because you were 'feeding' something other than your stomach. What were you hungry for? Were you trying to change something about the way you were feeling? Were you bored? If that situation arose again, what would you do instead?

Fourthly, whatever you do, don't go hungry in order to compensate. Today, tomorrow or ever. Starving yourself or cutting back drastically will not only result in you eventually gaining weight because your body might 'hang on' to weight because you're starved, but also it'll increase the possibility that you'll get hungry and binge again.

Fifthly, get back on plan. Go to group. The worst thing you can do is not engage with a plan that works, because you made a mistake. You might gain a bit of weight and that might be embarrassing (though it shouldn't be, it might feel like this).

Sixthly (if that's a word?!) - chuck in a Success Express day or two - eat loads of superfree food to fill yourself up. Cut back on syns to five a day for a few days. Within a week, you'll have easily compensated for your little mistake and your weight will be right back on track.

Hope you're okay.

Firstly, relax. You're human, you made a mistake. Take a breath, have a cup of tea and a bath.

Secondly, don't beat yourself up. That will, sadly, just lead to binging again. Thinking negatively about yourself will reinforce that you don't deserve to be happy, and might result in you making mistakes again. Be kind to yourself. If you feel yourself thinking or feeling badly about yourself, recognise that you're having that thought and make an effort to change it.

For example - 'I'm feeling like I've done something disgusting and I'm angry with myself. I shouldn't be. Instead, I'm going to recognise that I've made a mistake and be kind to myself about that - like I would if someone was coming to me with this problem'.

Thirdly, reflect on what happened, once you're relaxed. You might have made this mistake because you were 'feeding' something other than your stomach. What were you hungry for? Were you trying to change something about the way you were feeling? Were you bored? If that situation arose again, what would you do instead?

Fourthly, whatever you do, don't go hungry in order to compensate. Today, tomorrow or ever. Starving yourself or cutting back drastically will not only result in you eventually gaining weight because your body might 'hang on' to weight because you're starved, but also it'll increase the possibility that you'll get hungry and binge again.

Fifthly, get back on plan. Go to group. The worst thing you can do is not engage with a plan that works, because you made a mistake. You might gain a bit of weight and that might be embarrassing (though it shouldn't be, it might feel like this).

Sixthly (if that's a word?!) - chuck in a Success Express day or two - eat loads of superfree food to fill yourself up. Cut back on syns to five a day for a few days. Within a week, you'll have easily compensated for your little mistake and your weight will be right back on track.

Hope you're okay.

What cheery said! :D Can't really add anything to that it's brilliant advice! I've always been a binge eater, and it's taking time to break this addiction and relationship to food (which trust me - is a bloody good one!) What I'd say is always make sure you have something in the house which is low syn but so pleasing. I have sainsburys sugar free marshmallows (4 for 1 syn), and eat them with melted nutella (1 tbsp = 4syns) and meringue nests (2.5 syns) with a muller! So if you feel like a binge then you have the options there. I find the marshmallows are sickly and so you can't eat as many as you want!

Just hold in there and get back on it! We all believe in you :D you inspire so many people with your pictures! xx

You can't erase what is done, all you can do is draw a line and carry on. Dont beat yourself up, we've all done it. Me included!

I used to eat a whole bag of sensations in one go i could never have just a few....what i do to avoid binges is dont buy them, its hard though when you dont live on your own because then its down to pure willpower and not everyone has that :( i know i havent and ive had the odd binge here and there and feels better to write them down too, takes a few days to get propley back into the routine after (especially after a night out) just try and draw a line under it and get straight back into it, its easy to just think oh ive ruined it now and carry on binging. X

I am SO annoyed with myself, I've completely ballsed up my week in one evening. I feel physically ill and am fully ashamed of what I've just put away. I feel the need to type it out in the hope if shaming myself - big bag of sensations, pack of maltesers, 7 hi fi bars.

I am fully aware how disgusting it is and in all honesty I never would have done something like that prior to sw. I'm so raging that one evening will have set back the past few weeks work and I'm considering changing my wi back to a Sunday morning for free as obv going to group hasn't changed my behaviours.

Is there anyone else who binges? How do you recover from it? How do you stop yourself from doing it? It's really left me feeling crap tonight and like I literally can't do anything.

Apologies for wallowing when it's all my own fault but I guess I'm just looking for some advice

I can binge terribly on those cereal bars. I had ten of them on weigh in day, yes ten!!! Curse Sainsburys and their 2 for £3 offer.

I had five special k ones today. If i buy a packet, ive eaten all of them by the time i get home.

I've done the same....had a chocolate day Saturday and went out sat night and had a hangover day yesterday which included 5 pieces of white thick sliced bread...cheese...a huge cooked dinner...cheescake AND a mars ice cream! I feel disgusting:( but the best thing I can do is just face the gain that I will have on Wednesday and have no syns till then....ive put on 4lb according to my scales :( hopefully get that off next week now and gonna try exta hard! Lets do this!! :D x

After writing my advice i wnt and binged earlier i counted around 16 syns :( start fresh tommorow!

16 syns isn't really that many though, considering that a mars bar is 14! It just goes to show that SW does change your way of thinking. Would you ever have considered a mars bar as a binge before? You have counted them and stopped and that is what is important.

Over the last few weeks I have been through a lot and found some days I've not eaten and other days I've eaten a lot of rubbish. I think the key thing for me is to not let myself get hungry otherwise I just pounce and end up eating loads of junk food in a matter of seconds.

I don't know if anyone else is like me but when I'm upset I can can go through phases where I won't eat at all, go all day without a single thing to eat but then have one evening meal or I can not eat all day but then binge on junk. I'd definitely say I can be an emotional eater.

The other week I came home from work after hardly eating a thing and raided the fridge and cupboards and in seconds I managed to eat 2 packs of crisps, 2 finger kit kat, timeout bar, 3 babybel lights and washed it down with a can of lager.
Afterwards I felt upset, guilty and disgusted in myself and this was all because I had a rubbish day at work.

Although it is hard to overcome Hun just remember you are not the only one in this position. We all do it from time to time and just need to find ways to avoid it. Now I try to stay calm, I will start cooking dinner and if I get a strike of hunger I will instead munch on things like cherry tomatoes or chopped cucumber. xxxx

I've just drank 2 cans of fat coke and eaten a dairy milk bar which comes to 27 syns. Am i now annoyed? Yes! I feel like just blowing it tonight but I won't because I know that I can make up for those extra syns by reducing my syn allowance for the next few days. When I have a binge which is quite a lot, probably once every two weeks I try not to beat myself over it. As much as I want to reach my target weight which seems such a long way off, I know in my heart that it is unrealistic for me to give up the things I love which are of course of high syn value. I'm only loosing around a pound a week but I also know the binges aren't helping and that I need perhaps to compensate by doing exercise. Don't get me wrong, I do get cross with myself but I also have a life and I want to live it, if I want a chocolate bar I'll eat it. I've found that by allowing myself to go over my syn allowance one day and make up for it over the next few days usually prevents me from going on one.

I've just drank 2 cans of fat coke and eaten a dairy milk bar which comes to 27 syns. Am i now annoyed? Yes! I feel like just blowing it tonight but I won't because I know that I can make up for those extra syns by reducing my syn allowance for the next few days. When I have a binge which is quite a lot, probably once every two weeks I try not to beat myself over it. As much as I want to reach my target weight which seems such a long way off, I know in my heart that it is unrealistic for me to give up the things I love which are of course of high syn value. I'm only loosing around a pound a week but I also know the binges aren't helping and that I need perhaps to compensate by doing exercise. Don't get me wrong, I do get cross with myself but I also have a life and I want to live it, if I want a chocolate bar I'll eat it. I've found that by allowing myself to go over my syn allowance one day and make up for it over the next few days usually prevents me from going on one.

I think thats why sw is so successful for some. We can treat ourselves, get back on the wagon and job done. If we are constantly in denial, it just builds up like a boiler under pressure.

Oh hun i know how you feel. :hug99:

I found i tend to binge if ive restricted myself that week with syns or used on other things. So i tend to use on chocolate, hifi bars, crisps. As these are what i tend to binge on when i do. At the time you think ohh what the heck you dont give a sh*t(yet i know in my head il regret it, yet i still do it!!), but as soon as its all gone, you feel sick & upset and disgusted with what you've done. Yet we still do it?
Its a tricky thing to get hold of when we've been in such bad habits of doing this :(
When i plan my meals it helps me stay on track and from having a binge. Only buy whats needed for that week, and keep the naughty stuff out of site!! If i go in my cupboards and see these everyday id be more tempted to get them...

Put these behind you and draw a line underneath and start the week fresh. Dont let these mess the week ahead xxx

To be honest I'm a bit guilty of self hating, which really doesn't help when you feel guilty and awful already.
The person who is going to be the hardest on you, is you. Cut yourself some slack. You've done a amazingly well, look at your numbers. I was looking at your pictures last night and thought wow, this girl is amazing! This is no less true today, because you're human like the rest of us and entitled to hit a bump in the road. My vote is for: draw a line under it and reread cheerys post over and over. Feel better :)

I've been really naughty this week. I went for a curry on Friday night with the OH and had poppadoms (!), chicken korma (!!!!) & drinks. Yesterday was a really stressful and busy day so all the family (including me) ending up getting a McDonalds. Today being Easter Sunday I've just scoffed a little lindt bunny & a creme egg.
I'm disappointed in myself for not having the will power to refuse all of the above...but sometimes I think you need a crash to bring you back up again! Next week will definitely be a good week :)

I think sometimes you just have to get a binge out of your system. And then try and remember how you felt after, so next time you feel like a binge, you can make a decision to binge or not to binge!

Back