How do you snack?

hazysummer

I just wondered if you only snack when you are hungry or you snack so that you don't get hungry...or is it just that you fancy what you have earmarked as your snack?

I realised that if I don't have a piece of fruit and a cuppa round 3.30 - 4.00 ish, then I'm more likely to end up mooching round the cupboards round 5, or I start preparing dinner early - when usually we eat round 7...

anyway I was just interested how other people experience this

I've been having fruit just as i'm starting to feel the need to pick - I find it seems to head off the full-force of the snack attack!

My colleague just laughed at me as I unpacked my 6 pieces of fruit onto the desk!

lol jenny. Fruit is great though as its there and ready to eat. Also another quick snack get yourself a bag of carrot battons form the supermarket great for nibbling on. Also helo me write my essays as before i used to smoke(which i quit) or eat biscuits(hance the flabbyness) and these work well

I agree, if I have a snack of fruit or yog at about 3.30 I am less likely to be claiming starvation by 530 and having an early dinner...!!

Whatever gets us through the day! :eek:) xxxxxx

I tend to have my brekkie when i get to work - so 9:15 ish - then i have a snack around 11ish to tide me over until lunch at 1:30 - then i have another snack around 4 ish.

I then eat my dinner about 7/8 o'clock and have another snack about 9:30!!

Always scoffing me!!! xxx

ps please note the snacks are mainly fruit/yogs/or a HEB cereal bar.

I normally snack on fruit or yoghurt whenever I feel like it. Quite often when I'm in the kitchen waiting for the kettle to boil.
I try and keep my hunger to a minimum because when I get really hungry, that's when my willpower fails and I go for the biscuits or hubbys chocolate.

Synned snacks I normally plan to eat at a certain time so I can sit and enjoy them.

I only eat when I am hungry. Some days I snack all day and my fruit bowl gets pretty low lol, but then other days I don't feel the need to snack at all. Same goes for meal times, I only serve up what my appetite tells me I need, if I am not that hungry then I don't have very much, but if I feel quite peckish I will have a big portion with plenty of superfree (more than the 1/3 suggested). I never let myself get really really hungry, as of course that can be a danger zone too.

I think it is important that we listen to our bodies and eat when we need to and not because we can (i.e. because food is free).

I think listening to our bodies is really difficult to do if we've had years of forgetting how to! I used to eat on my emotions and through boredom which is what led to my problems and I'm sure the same goes for a lot of people here! We literally have to learn all over again to be in tune with what our body needs/wants! I feel I'm getting better at it! I think that the fact that we aren't too portion controlled on SW (eating to satisfy appetite rather than eating to a set number of points/calories) is a great thing because it's less likely we'll be hungry between meals! I try and snack on fruit, yogurts or HEX's (if I still have them/haven't planned them into main meals) where possible but sometimes I give into temptation to the wrong things but I suppose I'm only human (last time I checked!!) To answer your original question, I think we should snack only if we're hungry between meals and I think that eating decent and nutritious meals should be what helps to warn off hunger between meals X

:eek::eek: Total shame. I'm not eating until later tonight when OH gets home and I was really hungry so I had a Mugshot. I don't usually snack on something like that but the 2 satsumas and fennel tea I had before hand were not working. The kids are having tea now and I didn't want to pick at it (old habit, even more :eek::eek::eek::eek:). Usually I'm not too bad with the snacking and it is mostly fruit. I don't even know why I'm hungry (and my stomach was actually rumbling). I think I do need to work on the listening to myself thing. though.

:eek::eek: Total shame. I'm not eating until later tonight when OH gets home and I was really hungry so I had a Mugshot. I don't usually snack on something like that but the 2 satsumas and fennel tea I had before hand were not working. The kids are having tea now and I didn't want to pick at it (old habit, even more :eek::eek::eek::eek:). Usually I'm not too bad with the snacking and it is mostly fruit. I don't even know why I'm hungry (and my stomach was actually rumbling). I think I do need to work on the listening to myself thing. though.

I have Mugshots as a snack sometime! There's no hard and fast rule to say that all snacks have to be superfree! It's better to have something like a Mugshot if it's going to satisfy a hunger pang/energy slump than to end up picking on chocolate or gorgeing on too much dinner because you're ravenous! Keep going as you are hun, you're having great losses!X

I find carrot and cucumber sticks are great for snacking. Or those little tomatoes.

Other than that it is fruit - and anytime really, no hunger required lol

I tend to have my brekkie when i get to work - so 9:15 ish - then i have a snack around 11ish to tide me over until lunch at 1:30 - then i have another snack around 4 ish.

I then eat my dinner about 7/8 o'clock and have another snack about 9:30!!

Always scoffing me!!! xxx

ps please note the snacks are mainly fruit/yogs/or a HEB cereal bar.

i'm the same apart from meals are earlier times.

I snack on fruit, im trying to learn not to snack because im bored. So usually its a bowl of chopped apple, strawberries, melon etc whatever we have at home.

On friday's i finish work at 4:30pm, i then catch the 6pm train to London to see the bf. Which means dinner isnt until 8-9pm, by then im starving. I always make sure i have an alpen light bar or a banana in my night bag which i take with me instead of buying a packet of crisps at the station..which are just stupidly priced!

I like to use my healthy extras for snacks. I'd rather have fruit for breakfast and then have weetabix and milk before I run 5km-10km in the evening.

And healthy extras are the best bit of the day, don't want to squander them at breakfast or in another meal where I could do without them!

I tend to snack in the evenings ... I do like a night time nibble because we tend to eat dinner at about 4.30pm as the kids are usually dashing off to a club or game so we eat early. At about 7ish I do start to get peckish so I will have something like fruit or a muller.

Back