How easy/difficult is it to adjust to your new body?

esmeotto

Been pondering over the past few days what it will be like to be a normal size and will I be able to cope. It will be like entering totally unknown territory, I've been overweight since junior school so I don't know how my head will adjust and also is it harder to adjust the longer you have been overweight? For me it will be nearly 30 years, and my mindset is in 'I'm fat' mode. Can anyone with such experiences enlighten me?

Many years ago when i got down to a size 10 i found it really difficult to adjust my thinking. I was still in 'fat mode', i'd walk past places like river island and think oh they won't have anything that fits me........& i'd try on size 16's and be amazed that they were too big. I have to say that even looking at myself in the mirror, i saw a fat person and it wasn't until i'd put weight back on and looked back at the photos that i realised i wasn't anywhere near fat at that time!
I don't know what it'd be like if i got back down now though. I think i'd still struggle with not being that big anymore.

I had always been overweight since primary school too, always got told it was puppy fat and I'd grow out of it:rolleyes: 30 odd years later I slimmed out of it:D

I find that it's taking time to adjust, once I first reached goal i still looked in the mirror and saw fat and wobbly bits. People would say how trim I was and have even had the word tiny used:eek:, but I could not see it. I was still very critical of my appearance. I'd look at my jeans in awe and wonder how they could actually fit me as when I looked at my body it seemed so much bigger than those small jeans.

I haven't been maintaining for long, but I have changed a great deal, I look in the mirror now and 90% of the time I see my true reflection, still have few fat days though.

What I now feel is more important isn't how I physically see myself, but how I mentally feel about myself and the fact that my health is greatly improved and getting up the stairs dosent puff me out anymore:)

Good luck with your weight loss journey

Tracey
x

I managed to get from a 32 to an 18, felt as fat as i did in the begining, now i'm back up to a 24 I realise how good I actually looked. I'm usung that to get smaller again.

Thanks for your replies ladies. I think I'm going to have to work on it. I wonder how long it takes to realise that you are slim and that it is your body.
My dh is in the same position he lost loads of weight when he was at uni, and he looks really skinny in photos, but he thought he was still fat, and subsequently put on lots of weight when he left. He's currently trying to eat healthily, so I'm cooking lots of soups for him to take to work.

I went shopping this morning and tried some clothes on ( I don't usually bother, and it was a bit like being in a hall of mirrors. Even though I've got a long way to go it didn't look like my body staring back. I bought a fitted jumper 18/20 I normally go for loose stuff....so I'm feeling good today :)

Thanks again

Helenxx

Back