How healthy is a healthy extra?

I want to revive this thread because I have had the exact same feeling towards SW. It's working but I think it's not sustainable long term (and why would they want it to be, they make more money the more times you come back to it). The reason is isn't sustainable long term is that you swap convenient food (macdonalds etc) for convenient food (mugshots, alpen bars) but you haven't thought about planning meals and changing bad habits. Who would ever eat a mugshot if they weren't on SW! I can't stand the things, and never buy/eat them, but those that do, will presumably not keep eating them when 'off plan' and will go back to the convenience food that got them overweight in the first place!

Sorry for the rant but I find it difficult to defend SW against the 'haters' when the plan CAN lead people to be unhealthy in their choices, albeit lose weight in the short term. Does anyone else feel like this?

I've started to eat avocado, olive oil, butter, hummus and cut down the alcohol, sugar and processed food in a bid to make long term changes but it's hard and means that when I have a weak moment - a biscuit or two at work - I have fallen off the wagon because I don't have the spare syns!

Tell me I'm not the only one!

Hi hun glad you revived the thread :D

When on SW I don't eat mugshots or alpen bars because I prefer "real" food ;)

I think you just need to be mindful of how you would like your eating to be when you have finished loosing weight:rolleyes:

It does confuse he that you can eat mountains of white pasta but can't add a second (if you used your first for a healthy extra) slice of very healthy bread :eatdrink051:

but it is what it is :confused:

on my profile I am listed as "healthy eating influenced by SW" instead of purely SW

Nice to meet you x

Hmmmm.... let me think.... I have only just started back on my weight loss journey...

One thing that is a definite for me is I don't use fry light.... I used it when I started doing slimming world but I ended up with terrible stomach problems... (did you know if you use it on tefal pans it invalidates the guarantee - if it can do that to pans... well that says it all) for which I had to be put on medication ... and the medication made me gain nearly half of the 70lbs I had lost back.... unbelievably frustrating..

I don't eat unlimited "free" stuff... apart from veggies

I also will count some different breads as a healthy extra such as burgen because it is actually more nutritious

just simple things like that

I did not know that about frylight and the pans! How awful for it to make you ill too. Crazy! I've always stayed away from it because of the smell... it's not very nice. You can get the same affect with olive oil and water (1 part olive oil to 5 parts water).

Do you eat more if you do a lot of exercise too? I commute to work, swim, and occasional yoga and squash. Sometimes I wish that SW did bonus syns for exercise like WW do. You can choose to have the equivalent calories to eat if you do exercise and I like that it forces you to think of calories out vs calories in. I suppose the idea is that it's a boost to your weightloss and that you don't say you've done 30 mins tough exercise and done 20 minute stroll... But then again, if they can't trust you to follow the plan, then that person is just cheating themselves really!

I've been eating nuts for my health extra for the good fats, but I really miss toast at breakfast time :(

I always find it difficult to find breakfasts.... and snacks.... meals are easy.... but good old toast is my breakfast of choice :D

I don't really find exercise increases my appetite in a huge way... sometimes it even has the opposite effect on me :D

Back