How important is BMI?

Yorkiegirl

is happy being Yorkiegirl
When I started LL, my BMI was over 40. Now it is 29 I think.

Do you go by how you look and feel or by your BMI when deciding on your target weight?

Should I try and get into the 18-25 BMI bracket, or go with a slightly higher weight and a BMI of 27? I like how I am looking now, and am not sure how much more I want to lose.

BMI is only a very rough guide, if you feel happy stay as you are!
BMI doesn't take into account frame size etc, what size frame are you on?
Measure round your wrists to find out.
You can always go back and lose more if you change your mind...

In my own personal opinion (although I've got a long way to go!) I think the BMI thing is quite severe as I was very near Morbidly Obese (I don't think I was that bad but maybe I'm a bit touchy!!!) when I started (just obese now!!!!) and couldn't imagine being anywhere near the lower end of my BMI scale (5ft4 - 8st6lbs). BTW healthy is 20-25 I think so 18 is too low to aim for! I am still aiming for the middle ground of the BMI to see how I feel. (probably haven't been there since my early teens if ever!!!) I'd like to lose the fat around my belly to eleviate any forthcoming health problems and don't think I'll get there until I am at a BMI of about 23. On saying that I want to be comfortable and able to maintain whichever weight I get to so I'm going to take it as it comes! I would go by how you feel, you've massively reduced your BMI (well done BTW) and you can always lose a little bit more later on. Some people manage to lose a decent amount of weight during maintenance. Good luck.

As Pixie has said it is only a rough guide at best.

But when you go into management after being SSing you will fill out a bit as the glycogen stores refill.

Here is a link for a BMI calculator.

Calculate your BMI - Standard BMI Calculator

I think whatever you feel good at and are happy with yourself.

My husband has a BMI of 22 and just looks right:)

I myself would be thrilled to have a BMI of 24

Love Mini xxx

In my opinion, BMI is a load of toss. As has already been said, at very best it can be considered a rough guide.

I am not judging numbers at all when it comes to 'weight' loss and management. For me it's not so much about what the scales say, more how I look and whether or not I am comfortable. Am more inclined to use my old slim clothes as a guide.

Having said that, I was still overjoyed when I reached 50lbs, and will be just as thrilled when I get to 4 stone :)

Interesting question. I've just looked it up on wikipedia and while I don't understand some of it I think it seems that BMI is quite a rough guide. If you're tall your range should probably be higher than a short person but you need to take frame size, amount of muscle body type etc into account. It doesn't measure proportion of body fat. Some athletes are overweight according to BMI because muscle weighs more than fat. I'm extremely small framed and when I was at college I was about 8 1/2 stone (BMI 19.5) and my mum thought I was anorexic(!) so sent my psychiatrist brother to see me. He turned me round, poked me below the waist and diagnosed me instantly as nowhere near! (aren't brothers lovely?!) At the same weight and age I was told I was fat/chubby by 2 different doctors - not very helpful to my self image. I think you should be whatever BMI you feel is right for you - you know your body and what feels "slim" and healthy for you. Don't lose weight to fit in with other people's theories.

Personally I think the thing to do is keep going until you decide that YOU look and feel the way that you want, and that you will be happy with forever. BMI is a good indication but, as has been said before, doesn't account for each individual. Keep your goal of 12 stone, and when you get there reassess and decide if you're happy there or not. If not, keep going!

Good luck!

Its a hard one, my opinion is one size does not fit all, I have a BMI of 25, sometimes creeps up but I go by my weight, Im happy in a size 12 having never been there is my life, so i figure that if my bmi is not what proff so and so says it should be then Im not that bothered, I know when I need to pull back by my weight, not my BMI.

You stop when you feel ready, if its slightly over the "normal BMI" then so be it x

In my opinion, BMI is a load of toss. As has already been said, at very best it can be considered a rough guide.

I am not judging numbers at all when it comes to 'weight' loss and management. For me it's not so much about what the scales say, more how I look and whether or not I am comfortable. Am more inclined to use my old slim clothes as a guide.

Having said that, I was still overjoyed when I reached 50lbs, and will be just as thrilled when I get to 4 stone :)

LOL! I thought nobody else used that phrase!

Even though my ticker is set at BMI of 24, i think for personally I will stop Cd-ing and move up the plans, when i reach a size 12. I dont think being thinner would work for me, as I am very broad shouldered and wide hips, big bottoms run in my family. as do big boobs:eek: so i dont think going slimmer is an option. if my BMI states i am still over, then so be it.

Back