How is CD better than slim fast ?

Zoe

Is the CD much lower in calories than slim fast ?

Slim fast seem a slightly cheaper idea, and easier to buy, but is it as effective as CD ?

Slim fast is not a total food replacement diet...it is a calorie controlled diet as you must still have a main meal each day as part of your calorie intake in order to make sure you are getting all your vitamins and minerals for health and you have easy access to buying it in your supermarket.

With CD you do it through a counsellor...You must fill out a medical questionnaire before being accepted to partake in CD as a total food replacement diet as some medical conditions could be contradictive... it provides all your daily requirements of vitamins and minerals.

Notes:​
Your doctor will need to
be informed before you can start
on ‘Sole Source’, regardless of
BMI, and clinical supervision is
optional if the doctor wants.
*CD = Cambridge Diet
All Cambridge programmes are
subject to the client not being

contraindicated.

You can read more about the plan here on this link.

http://www.cambridge-diet.co.uk/brochures/solesource.pdf

I believe also that slim fast has quite a few carbs so you're more hungry on it, that's what my DH found. Whereas when you get into ketosis on the other vlcd's you're not hungry anymore!

Slimfast apparently has loads of sugar in it too...

Yes, as the others have said. Slimfast isn't a tfr (total food replacement diet). You have to have an extra meal as the shakes don't contain all the vits and minerals you need.

It's also higher carb, so you are unlikely to go into ketosis (assuming you do the diet correctly).

With CD, the carbs are lower, so you can have less calories, which means a faster loss. But it also has a good level of protein so that you preserve your muscle mass.

There is nothing wrong with Slimfast. It's just a different kind of diet.

I believe also that slim fast has quite a few carbs so you're more hungry on it, that's what my DH found. Whereas when you get into ketosis on the other vlcd's you're not hungry anymore!

Doesnt ketosis only last about a week though?

I think on cambridge sole source (which i am on) once you are in ketosis you stay in it until you move up the diet to something like adding a low calorie meal - your counsellor advises when you are ready, and she/he should have sticks to test your urine every week to check you are still in ketosis (and havent been cheating heehee)
I tried Slim Fast but was so hungry, so Cambs is great and i struggle to eat my 3 packs a day!
Good luck whatever you choose
xxx

Doesnt ketosis only last about a week though?

No, I've been in Ketosis for the last 7 months and my body's been burning fat like there's no tomorrow

Er, there is no difference...just the carb ratios (and even they have been sorted now in slimfast...) and the counselling...as well as having to defo go through a doctor to be on the meal replacements...any meal replacement or vlcd uses the same principle...none have special ingredients (they all have the same protein/carb/vitamin, etc ratios as each other)...basically it is a brand name competition...they all are competing for your custom remember? All diet programmes cost money (even the ones you devise yourself like my own)

With Slimfast containing so much sugar, I found I had constant cravings for carby food. Much prefer CD.

Hi, I'm doing SlimFast as a VLCD ie total meal replacement and no milk. I compared vitamins etc with LL (did Foundation on LL)and didnt think there was a huge difference. I am still having BP checked every few weeks. Upside of SF is that it is cheaper than LL and more easily available. Downside is no counselling and you need to be self-disciplined on bars and number of scoops of powder. After a couple of wobbly weeks I am now back on plan especially when I found that if I kept my calories at around 650 I felt fine and not hungry, if calories went up to 800 I felt down & hungry. This was a valuable lesson and should be useful knowledge for the future. In total lost 5 stones on LL and 2 stones on SF as a VLCD. The LL counselling got me started now I carry on alone.
Go with what works for you.
Regards

Have tried SlimFast several times in the past but always gave up after the first couple of days because I felt awful and was absolutely starving. After years of yo-yo dieting and trying every slimming club and pill available I'm just coming up to my first week on CD and can honestly say I feel really positive this time. Apart from the couple of bad days which my CDC warned me about, on the whole I feel great and even my nails (which have been stumps for ages:D) have started to grow. More importantly tho' is that I have found this so easy up to now, with no hunger pangs at all.

Any diet will work if you stick with it, but if you feel good doing it you're less likely to wander of track......

Why not have protein shakes instead of Slim fast a couple of times a day, then a proper meal at night?

Suzie if you get the chance would you mind posting the nutritional value of Slimfast? I dont take it because it has too many carbs(for me). In particular how much protien does it contain per serving(without milk).

Thanks

Why not have protein shakes instead of Slim fast a couple of times a day, then a proper meal at night?

Great idea! (slimfast and similar products are a lot higher in carbs than total meal replacements) Although some people find a big tub of protein powder a bind, but it works out cheaper I have found...I am a big fan of protein supplementation...you can buy protein based meal replacements in sachets too...

Hi, I'm doing SlimFast as a VLCD ie total meal replacement and no milk. I compared vitamins etc with LL (did Foundation on LL)and didnt think there was a huge difference. I am still having BP checked every few weeks. Upside of SF is that it is cheaper than LL and more easily available. Downside is no counselling and you need to be self-disciplined on bars and number of scoops of powder. After a couple of wobbly weeks I am now back on plan especially when I found that if I kept my calories at around 650 I felt fine and not hungry, if calories went up to 800 I felt down & hungry. This was a valuable lesson and should be useful knowledge for the future. In total lost 5 stones on LL and 2 stones on SF as a VLCD. The LL counselling got me started now I carry on alone.
Go with what works for you.
Regards

Hi, I don't wish to scare you, but can I suggest you check out this thread.

http://www.minimins.com/very-low-calorie-diets/77579-slimfast-but-no-meal.html

I thought Slimfast was only designed to be used with food?

I am using VLCD products with food and still losing a stone a month.

Great idea! (slimfast and similar products are a lot higher in carbs than total meal replacements) Although some people find a big tub of protein powder a bind, but it works out cheaper I have found...I am a big fan of protein supplementation...you can buy protein based meal replacements in sachets too...

what prorein products would you reccommend??

im wanting to do something similar to this but dont really know how to go about it

I used Met-Rx meal replacements which work out with discounts at the moment at around £27 per week...they come in choccie, berry blast, vanilla and mixed flavours (20 sachets to a box) and they are total meal replacements so you can do three shakes and no food or two shakes and one meal in the evening or for luinch...I used this method to get down to a goal weight recently and it was fast, ideal, cheap and handy as sachets take up little space. You can carry around your shaker and sachets instead of lunch boxes...don't forget to drink 3 litres and more per day...ideally 4 litres...if using them as total meal replacements...

Met-Rx Total Nutrition Drink Mix from GNC Direct UK

Or there are the EAS myoplex diet sachets in strawberry and choccie for £24 per week...

http://www.gnc.co.uk/sports-nutrition/protein-supplements/eas-myoplex-diet/product.htm

Back