How long

loungelizard

Silver Member
does it take to get used to realising that some things you think will be low syn value are infact very high:confused: I've just bought some Special K mini breaks thinking they'd be low syn to find they're infact 5 syn:eek: To add insult to injury I've also picked up zesty lemon and I don't like lemony things!

I'm still finding things are higher syn thn i thought they'd be. I've been doing it 6 weeks now, and I try to go for healthy things, but most times when i go shopping, I find at least one thing that isn't as low as I thought.

However, I don't think 5 syns is too bad for the mini breaks. I think i might get some actually, for snacks. I actually struggle to use my syns up though.

I have been doing SW for 6 months.. you kinda get the jist of what the syn value will be.. things that are high in protein, fat and calories is higher.
Most people in my group ask me about syn values and thats that they can eat.. I feel like I am a bit of a walking syn directory!.. you get the hang of it!

As a very rough rule of thumb, you can use the 20 calories per Syn rule. Might not be totally accurate, but you get a rough guess as to whether the item will be high in Syns or not.

Im quite boring in that I never buy anything that I dont know the syn value of. If Im shopping and see something that I like, then I have access to internet on my phone and will look it up online....I know Im a :kissass:

Thanks all. I usually do my shopping with Ocado so can check syns beforehand but nipped into Morrisons on the way back from WI to get the yogs on offer.

Alwyn, that calorie rule of thumb will be great to remember as they are 99 cals a bag.

I'd rather have 5 syns on something that feels naughty like chocolate.

With a few exceptions, the naughtier something tastes, the higher in syns it is i think! same with all food I think, if it tastes amazing it's probably not good for you!! hahahaha :)

Im quite boring in that I never buy anything that I dont know the syn value of. If Im shopping and see something that I like, then I have access to internet on my phone and will look it up online....I know Im a :kissass:

I am the same!!! :eek: If it's something I am not sure of I will leave it & check on-line first. I also keep my eye out on here for new idea's as we all generally say what syn's are in new food's we have tried.

But you do soon know roughly how many syns are in everyday things :)

You do get the hang of it, but I always check before I eat!
I made a few mistakes early on and it taught me not to get complacent.
As Alwyn says, there is a general rule of thumb, which I do use, but do check if you can!
Now I'm maintaining, I'm constantly on the look out for new foods/snacks that I can try so that I can use my syns up!!!!

You will get the hang of it - it starts to become easier over time, promise! x

Thought I'd add to this tonight as I have had loads of salad with smoked salmon and some boiled new potatoes. I also bought a lovely crusty baguette/french stick from M & S. DH cut me a much smaller piece than I would normally have but I thought best to weigh it first. It was 40g and was miniscule so I checked for the syns and decided not to bother. A 28g piece would only have been a mouthful!

Back