How many calories should you eat to lose weight?

Discussion in 'Calorie Counting' started by Zöe2, 6 August 2009 Social URL.

1. Zöe2

Zöe2 New Member

Calorie Counting/Intuitive Eating
    Just wondering how many calories you guys eat to lose weight. I have worked out on the internet that I should be able to eat around 1400 to lose one pound per week. Does that sound right to you lot??
  2. Avatar Matched Content

3. The Rose

The Rose Rosie

Start Weight:
    Current Weight:
    Goal Weight:
    Calorie Counting
    Hi Zoe

If you log on to - they will ask age, height, weight and work out how many calories you need to lose 1lb a week. They have a 5 day free trial which I keep renewing although I will eventually subscribe to it. Iris from this board recommened it to me and I use it every day to log the food I eat and I couln't be without it at the moment.

Good Luck
  4. x letty x

x letty x Member

Hi again Zoe,

OK this is what I've learnt: to lose 1lb of fat you have to create a calorie deficiency of 3500 per week, which is 500 per day. So you'd need to work out how many calories your body burns in a day - I'm sure there are websites which allow you to calculate this by your weight, age and activity level, maybe Google it - and subtract 500 from the figure to lose 1lb a week, or subtract 750 for 1.5lb, 1000 for 2lb (although that'd probably be tough going!)

This is just the scientific basis though, in reality I don't think many people actually lose weight at such a consistent rate!
Popular Forums
  1. is a weight loss support community helping each other on their weight loss journey. We have a multitude of forums, from Slimming World and Exante, to Success Stories. Click the logo at the top right to return to the forum home page at any time.