How many calories...

laurenmay

Gold Member
..do you all eat?

I'm confused as to what number is best for me and will encourage a steady weight loss week by week. I have 85lbs to lose so would like to lose at least 2lbs per week.

I've done a few calorie calculators online which come out at 1350.. but then others say to use BMR and your activity level and then there's the general rule of thumb of 1200 for women.

I'm confused?

blob said:
I thought you were doing Slim and Save now? I'm sure you'll lose a minimum of 2lbs a week if you stick to plan.

That was my plan, to follow slim and save.. I did start this morning but came over very unwell, dizzy and sick so decided VLCD's just aren't for me and I won't be 'attempting' one again!

gaz316 said:
I am on 1500, I use the BMR rate and also exercise and don't go over my 1500.

My BMR is 1780, but obviously that will drop as I lose weight so it's confusing as to if I should eat my BMR and gradually decrease as my BMR decreases?

Really depends how close you are to your ideal weight or target, at the start I was on 2200 calories, but I was 8 stone over weight so had more, the less you have to lose the harder it will be, just a case of being careful and swap products around. For example I tend to stay away from bread and eat mostly chicken. I weigh all my vegetables, rice and pasta and eat small amounts of it. I am also careful of some vegetables such as sweetcorn and beans as they are high in calories

My lunch is around 220 calories and I do not snack between meals.

How many are you eating now?
I think 1500 will probably give you a decent loss each week. I eat about 1200 (well, was! have been rubbish the last few weeks) but go out for meals and drinks
at weekends so it probably averages out to that and I've found that gives me a good loss.

gaz316 said:
Really depends how close you are to your ideal weight or target, at the start I was on 2200 calories, but I was 8 stone over weight so had more, the less you have to lose the harder it will be, just a case of being careful and swap products around. For example I tend to stay away from bread and eat mostly chicken. I weigh all my vegetables, rice and pasta and eat small amounts of it. I am also careful of some vegetables such as sweetcorn and beans as they are high in calories

My lunch is around 220 calories and I do not snack between meals.

I have 6 stone to lose, I'm 15st 4lbs and my goal weight is 9st or thereabouts. I'll be staying away from rice, pasta and bread, I'll allow myself one slice of granary wholemeal a day but that's all and won't be eating carbs after lunchtime.

Blueway said:
How many are you eating now?
I think 1500 will probably give you a decent loss each week. I eat about 1200 (well, was! have been rubbish the last few weeks) but go out for meals and drinks
at weekends so it probably averages out to that and I've found that gives me a good loss.

I was thinking about eating 1500 a day and then seeing how I get on.. I got back to CC just over a week ago and ate 1300 a day and lost 9lbs my first week, but I've gained that back now by going back to my old ways.

have you registered with myfitnesspal? If you register with them it will tell you how many cals to eat, depending on how much you want to lose.

laurenmay said:
My BMR is 1780, but obviously that will drop as I lose weight so it's confusing as to if I should eat my BMR and gradually decrease as my BMR decreases?

My BMR is 1780 as well.
I've set my level at 1700, and don't count the couple of glasses of NAS squash i drink.
I've been over cals about three times since i started. Not by much and always planned (evening outs/parties etc)

I've lost 28lb in nine weeks, i had one week where i STS but other than that have lost at least 2lb a week.

I do a small amount of exercise but not much. I walk around two mile a day but am sedentary at work.

MFP has me at 1300 calories a day to lose 2lbs a week, and that's the amount I was consuming before so I'll stick with that and see how I get on... BMR etc is so confusing.

I'm a lot heavier and taller than you so i guess 1300 should be ok.

The good thing is you can play around and find an amount that works for you.

I would advise changing your setting to 1.5lbs a week. Just because that is the setting does not mean that is the weight you are going to lose and I think since you're just starting out, it would be best to give yourself a few more calories to play with. I have used 1.5lbs consistently as my setting since the beginning (June) but my average loss is 2lbs. You are shorter than me with a slightly higher start weight so I would imagine this would work for you and give you more room to reduce your calories as you progress. I've lost 2 and a half stone and I'm only now eating about 1300 a day!

And relax about it. Try- if you lose only 1/2lb in the first week you can always change it next week. Just stick to the calories and don't give up. I think starting higher is best as it gives you more room to manouvre and helps you get used to the process. :)

Back