how many eggs is too many Eggs?

denise42

Silver Member
Hi

I know eggs are free, but how many eggs is too many eggs?
I've had 4 today, I don't usually have that many maybe 1 or 2 on the weekend with my grill up.

Personally I think four in a day is fine. The medical establishment used to believe that eggs raised your cholesterol if eaten to excess and so advised only 1-2 a week. Scientific investigation has revealed that theory to be false however and tests have been run on volunteers eating 3 a day whose cholesterol remains unaffected. More than four probably isn't wise simply because the advice is to eat as wide a range of foods as possible to get all your vitamins and minerals in.

Last edited:
Thanks for that Krupskaya...I won't be having any more this week lol the 3 in the omelette was a bit to much really, anyhow I'm totally full so jobs a good un.

My dad swears by no more than an egg a day, he keeps chickens and often has an abundance of eggs, but he won't eat more than his limit, lol! I think I probably stick to that usually though, like if I have two in an omelette one day, I won't have any the next, so it's obviously ingrained in me now too! :)

I relied on eggs when I first started sw, especially for breakfast! I think its because I didnt really know what else to have. Since joining minimins I try other peoples ideas all the time and have more variety.
id never have more than two in a day, but this is more because id go through so many and my chickens haven't started laying yet! From a health perspective i dont know the right answer, or even if there is one, but variety is the spice of life and all that. Mmm creme eggs!!

I believe Krupskaya is right.
However, eggs can have the opposite effect to fibre in terms of, er, blocking up your digestive system. So watch out towards weigh-in day if you have lots and don't 'go'! :eek:

Thanks for this post! Love eggs, and felt I was eating too many. Despite them being free they are high in cholesterol, so can't be ideal! Just love them in fry up/rice/curry/salad....

I have a copy of a booklet which I was given when I originally had cholesterol problems. It very firmly states that there is no evidence that dietary cholesterol (that is, cholesterol found in food) has any effect whatsoever on cholesterol in the blood.

Foods that are high in cholesterol are not bad for you.

And that booklet was published FIFTEEN years ago, so it was well known even back then, although it took a very long time for SW to bring itself up to date!!

It says nothing in the food optimising book about a limit of any free food, it does however state two golden rules:
a wide variety of food and everything in moderation, and we all have our own take on that!

Thanks for this post! Love eggs, and felt I was eating too many. Despite them being free they are high in cholesterol, so can't be ideal! Just love them in fry up/rice/curry/salad....
they are so flippin versatile can't help but eat them, egg n chips n beans....yummmmmmy

If I'm having more than two eggs (in say, an omelette/frittata/scramble) then I would use two whole eggs then just whites. But I wouldn't limit the amount of eggs per day, if thats what I really wanted to eat.
I could literally eat eggs at every meal. We usually fight over them in our house!

If I'm having more than two eggs (in say, an omelette/frittata/scramble) then I would use two whole eggs then just whites. But I wouldn't limit the amount of eggs per day, if thats what I really wanted to eat.
I could literally eat eggs at every meal. We usually fight over them in our house!

Now I am curious!! What do you do with the leftover yolks?

I think excluding the yolk is a throwback from early low fat dieting! Most of the fat is in the yolk I believe and so low fat dieters were encouraged to use more whites. I'm sure Rosemary Conleys Hip and thigh diet in the 80's/90's recommended this. What a waste!! ;)
Thankfully we don't have to do that these days!!

I eat loads of eggs, never actually counted but I always seem to be buying them and think nothing of using 4/5 for an omelette or scrambled eggs

I eat approximately 14 eggs per week. Love `em. Thank goodness they are not a cholesterol problem. 20yrs ago I had to have 1-4 per week. Then diabetic nurse confirmed no problem, eat what you like. Eggs that is.

Back