How Many Lbs to a Dress Size?

Sandrah78

Silver Member
Hi, I just wanted other peoples' opinions on this. My SW consultant thinks that 10lbs equates to a dress size - I think this is wrong and that it's nearer to 12lbs - there's no way I am 0.5lbs from being the next size down.

What are your thoughts?

It is wrong. This has come up before on here and the answer is everyone's different. Some people can lose 2 stone and only go down one size whereas another person could lose half a stone and drop a size. It totally depends on your size and where the weight goes from

I've heard 10lbs too from a SW consultant years ago....but not for the first one on the basis that your clothes are generally already snug by the time we start to diet.
I'm not convinced but would love to know if there was a definitive answer tho :)
x

It is wrong. This has come up before on here and the answer is everyone's different. Some people can lose 2 stone and only go down one size whereas another person could lose half a stone and drop a size. It totally depends on your size and where the weight goes from

Thanks Taz...that makes sense :) x

There really isn't a definitive answer especially as lb loss and inch loss don't go together

Its depends on the person, their height, shape etc. Personally for me I lose a dress size every one and a half stone.

God I have no idea! And am really intrigued lol

I'll keep yopu posted when I get into the next size, that should give me more of an idea for myself though I'm sure mine is around the 12lb mark - if so there's 6.5lbs to go!

I agree with Taz, everyones so different it's hard to generalise.
I've lost 1 stone and really toned up but i havent dropped a dress sizes yet :cry:. It seems to be that those stubborn inches from my hips just will not budge which is really the only thing preventing me moving down. I seem to be losing the fat from my arms, lower thighs face etc first instead of the usual bust, waist hips. I'd say i'll probably have to lose about 21lb to 2 stone to go down a dress size.

It depends on how tall you are - for me it was around a stone per dress size.

We could do an experiment and work out our BMI's compared to dress size?

Sounds good, I'm all into scientific experiments lol. My current BMI is 28.95 and I'm a size 14

It depends on how tall you are, I'd agree with Louise. I'm 5ft 10, and it was one dress size per stone. I'm currently BMI 27 and a size 16 (in topshop jeans). At BMI 23 I am a size 12.

Thing is, it depends which shop you're talking about! I'm a 16 in topshop, but a 12 in Monsoon, and in some boutiquey shops a size mammoth!

Sizes vary so much and so do body shapes. Unfortunately I don't think the BMI thing will work out. I don't wanna be an old misery guts and poo poo peeps ideas!

Yeah it's looking like the BMI thing may not pan out. I am 31.2 and a 14-16 on the bottom and 12-14 on top. I only ever really shop in New Look and occassionally QS, Peacocks and Primark and superstores.

ive lost 14.5 lbs and think i have probably comfortably lost a full dress size now. the thing is its so hard to tell because dress sizes vary so much. i have bought a size 8 dress(!) from monsoon yet sometimes a 12 just right. generally im a big 10 now i think and i was a 12-14

my bmi is 35ish (its in my siggy bit down there) and im a size 14-16 on top and size 16-18ish bottoms, not counting this week iv lost 24ish lbs, so about a stone and a half, and i was a size 20-22 when i started in april

Back