How many syns?

Razzle Dazzle

Hi, last week was my first week of doing SW and i weighed in tonight and have only lost 1/2lb :cry:. I do wonder if i am not having enough calories?? :confused:. I am eating enough so that i am not hungry but i know in the past when i did Weight Watchers my points added up to around 2300 calories a day plus vegetables were free and i am not consuming anywhere near that on SW as i have added up roughly my calories each day and i am having loads of salad and vegetables. i feel like giving up already. I read somewhere either on here or on facebook that someones consultant had rang them up and told them to have more syns as they were over a certain weight. I weigh 24st 4 :eek: so wonder if i should have more?? xx

I'm sorry to hear of your stress x

I started out at over 20 stone - I have since day one stuck to between 10 - 15 syns a day. I can't believe that your syns are the problem.

Did you do a food diary and hand to your consultant? If you have done WW before you must remember that SW is very, very different and the two plans can't really be compared.

Are you sure you used your HEXs properly and are you sure of the syn values? I have fallen foul of mis-calculating in the past as I have just assumed something is free and turned out to be massive in syns!!
It can be a difficult plan to understand at first, but once you get into the swing of it, it becomes second nature... honest!!

Other than that - it may just have been star week or water retension. Keep going hunny as I'm sure the weight will slide off soon x

PS you could always do a food diary on here and take a peek at others!!

Last edited:
Yes, my consultant checked my food diary and was 100% happy with it. I have correct syns for everything as i have the food directory, phone app and online access for syns etc. I have done SW before so know the plan from before. I know WW is a totally different plan but i just wonder if i am not having enough calories because if you dont have enough your body stores fat thinking its being starved! I have always lost before :confused: xx

Hi Razzle, how did you find your first week? Did you feel hungry?
I started over 21st, and stuck to 15 syns a day... try to keep your mind off calories, off points (I've done both too, I know what it's like with numbers in your head) and listen to your body. I know, sounds funny but eat til you are satisfied, not til you've had x calories.

Sometimes it just takes a couple of weeks to get into the plan, for your body to get used to it. Keep at it, give it 4 WIs and I bet you see a good loss :)

I wouldn't have thought your body would be thinking it's starved if you are filling up on free foods - but I'm no consultant!!

Apologies for the lecture on WW and SW *embarressed now!!* I thought you might be a newbie.

Sometimes weight loss can just be an evil thing - I really hope that you get the loss you deserve next week. I've had a small loss in the past then promptly lost 6lb the following week.

did you consultant have any suggestions?

So what are you eating then? Can you post a sample day so we can take a look?

I don't know if you are exercising or not but that can play a big part especially if you are not drinking and eating enough.

Also if you were following a very strict or very low calorie diet immediately before SW then it can take a while for your body to adjust. Or even going from WW to SW and suddenly eating a lot more carbs than you were previously can have an impact.

And also (don't know if you are male or female) time of the month.

Don't give up! You have to give it at least four weeks before deciding it's not working

Hi Razzle, how did you find your first week? Did you feel hungry?
I started over 21st, and stuck to 15 syns a day... try to keep your mind off calories, off points (I've done both too, I know what it's like with numbers in your head) and listen to your body. I know, sounds funny but eat til you are satisfied, not til you've had x calories.

Sometimes it just takes a couple of weeks to get into the plan, for your body to get used to it. Keep at it, give it 4 WIs and I bet you see a good loss :)

Hi, i didn't feel hungry atall other than late last night and i went and had something to eat. I notice you are in the Aberdeen area, so am i :). x

I wouldn't have thought your body would be thinking it's starved if you are filling up on free foods - but I'm no consultant!!

Apologies for the lecture on WW and SW *embarressed now!!* I thought you might be a newbie.

Sometimes weight loss can just be an evil thing - I really hope that you get the loss you deserve next week. I've had a small loss in the past then promptly lost 6lb the following week.

did you consultant have any suggestions?

No, she had no suggestions. She just said to keep a food diary again which i also do anyway when trying to lose weight as i find it helps. I bought a 12 week countdown last week so will just stick at it! xxx

So what are you eating then? Can you post a sample day so we can take a look?

I don't know if you are exercising or not but that can play a big part especially if you are not drinking and eating enough.

Also if you were following a very strict or very low calorie diet immediately before SW then it can take a while for your body to adjust. Or even going from WW to SW and suddenly eating a lot more carbs than you were previously can have an impact.

And also (don't know if you are male or female) time of the month.

Don't give up! You have to give it at least four weeks before deciding it's not working

Hi, i wasn't following any diet/plan for a few months so it can't be that affecting it. Also time of the month was last week, so thats why i even more so expected a bigger loss this week!! I haven't been exercising anymore than usual either i have walked slightly more but i thought i would just build up exercise gradually with being so heavy. I do have a food diary in the section on here if you would like to take a look. It has a lightbulb icon to make it stand out! As you can tell i am very impatient when it comes to weightloss! x

I mentioned on a another post recently that the latest research I read on how long it takes for excess food to register as numbers on the scales. It can take up to a week to do so. If you were still eating in excess of your needs prior to joining you may still have been putting ON weight for the week you started on SW. By the end of the second week this should have evened out and hopefully you will see a much better loss. Remember to only eat when hungry and stop when full xx

Felt the same as you earlier in the week, and took on board the advise you have just got how the body adds weight later :) sure we will have super losses next week :)

Sometimes it just happens & there's no explanation for it. You could have a massive loss next week. Do you FEEL smaller? Maybe its worth measuring yourself once a week or month to see if you are losing inches? :)

Just drop the idea of calories & points, thats not what slimming worlds about. Eat when you are hungry. Eat your HE's (measured!) and eat your syns!!

Not to be cheeky here, but someone with a lot to lose like you (and me!) can afford to eat all of our syns. So eat them all and enjoy them :p

My first week I only lost half a pound, (I was 27st 8.5lb), I was fuming! The next week I lost 8lb, I think it was just all very slow catching up with me! Give it a month and you wil be fine! :)

Back