How much almond flour are you eating?

porkscratching

Silver Member
Seems to have been a slew of almond flour recipes in the paleo community this year - like everything it seems moderation is the key. I'd probably have them once a week in pancakes but there's a heck of a lot of nuts in one little serving.
5 Reasons to Avoid Almond Flour - Empowered Sustenance

Hi Cavegirl - it's the claims about baking/heating the almond flour that causes molecular changes to create free radicals. Going out of my way to avoid them by using stable oils and then could end up back to square one if I have almond flour pancakes :cry:Confused.com
[h=1]3. The fats in almond flour aren’t heat stable[/h] [h=4]Okay, quick chemistry reminder. Saturated fats have single bonds between all the carbon molecules of the fatty acid chain. Monounsaturated fats have one double bond replacing a single bond in the carbon chain. Polyunsaturated have more than one double bond in the carbon chain.[/h] [h=4]Double bonds are more unstable than single bonds. The more double bonds in a fatty acid, the more unstable it is (polyunsaturated is the least stable, followed by monounsaturated, followed by saturated being the most stable). When the double bonds break, the fatty acid undergoes a process called oxidation.[/h] [h=4]Processing, heat, light and pressure all cause these double bonds to break. Raw (or soaked and dehydrated) almonds have their polyunsaturated fats intact, and so the only fat issues are those discussed in the previous section. But putting almond flour in a hot environment–like an oven–is going to break some of those double bonds and create oxidized fatty acids.[/h] [h=4]Why are oxidized fats bad? In a nutshell, oxidized fats = free radicals. Free radicals = cell damage. Of course, we will inevitably have some free radicals in our body. Fortunately, we can consume sources of antioxidants (like fresh fruits and veggies) to combat free radical damage. But if too much oxidized fats, like from large amounts of almond flour, are consumed, our body is depleted of antioxidants and damage to body cells ensues.[/h] [h=4][/h]

I guess a lot depends on why each person is eating paleo/primal. For myself I want my body to be able to heal itself so avoid things that I know will put an extra load on it as much as is practical for me. But everyone is different and there's a lot of discussion in the paleo world about how everyone finds the degree of paleo-ness that works for them.

Porkscratching, do what is right for you. The comments in the link you posted were very interesting and I thought a good point was that even if you eat a little bit of almond flour, not all the possible free radicals will be created and of course your overall load is much reduced as you're avoiding other sources like seed oils. So if a little bit of almond flour from time to time helps you to stay paleo/primal, you're definitely not going back to square one. :) x

Also I don't know if it's just me but the longer I eat this way the less I want to eat baked goods anyway; I just don't have as much desire for them!

Thanks. I just sometimes feel I just get an angle on something and the goalposts shift again! I also a bit of a research junkie and want to know why stuff works - I can only handle so much blind faith ;). OK reality is I don't eat baked almonds more than once or twice a week tops & I know it's better than flour full stop. Right I am off to make dandelion and lemon marmalade and I'm not even thinking about the sugar .... and found a recipe for a dandelion leaf tea which I'm going to try as well.

Thanks. I just sometimes feel I just get an angle on something and the goalposts shift again! I also a bit of a research junkie and want to know why stuff works - I can only handle so much blind faith ;). OK reality is I don't eat baked almonds more than once or twice a week tops & I know it's better than flour full stop. Right I am off to make dandelion and lemon marmalade and I'm not even thinking about the sugar .... and found a recipe for a dandelion leaf tea which I'm going to try as well.

A little bit of baked almond flour each week is definitely better than a 'standard' diet by miles as long as it doesn't make you feel poorly or anything.

Nothing wrong with wanting to know the 'why' of things, I'm the same as you and I roll my eyes every time I see someone in other forums telling someone off for 'questioning the plan'. I think all any of us can do is take in the information and then make a decision about what elements are most important to us (for example, if the only thing I can get to eat somewhere has a bit of vegetable oil in it, I'll eat it as a one off, but I would never ever knowingly eat gluten again). I think this has to be part of making this a way of life as opposed to a 'diet' as how else can it work in the long term?

That marmalade sounds scrummy; I hope you'll report back! :D

I tend to use almond flour less and less the longer I am primal as I just dont crave the baked goods like I used to. In the last 2 weeks I have had it once in some paleo cinnamon rolls and that didnt contain a lot anyway.
The odd "treat" isnt going to do any harm but I certainly wouldnt rely on them on a regular basis, Just treat almond flour like you would honey, berries and whole nuts and have them in moderation x

Back