How much could I expect to lose on Xenical?

hypno1

Hi everyone,

I kow that's a bit of a tough question considering everyone is different but I would like to kow what you all lose in an average onth by taking xenical and following a low cal diet?

I am currently on the Cambridge Diet and I am losing the weight pretty well. So far i've lost 31lbs in 7wks. I am finding it quite a struggle now though, really fed up of the little variety of flavours that I like and hubby is finding it tough thay we can't go out for a meal or do things we would normally do together.

I already have Xenical here and can get more on prescription as my doc is very helpful and wants me to lose the weight. I still have about another 49-56lbs I would like to lose and estimate this will take me around another 16wks-ish to lose on the CD diet.

Realistically I know it would prob take a bit longer on Xenical but would be gratefull of an idea how long.

How long is a piece of string though? The first couple of months I was on Xenical I had high numbers ( 10s and 11 pounds ), and then that slowed to a steady 1 -1 ½lb per week loss. Its not so much the calories that you are counting ( although of course that helps), but the amount of fat in your diet, and the percentage of fat in the food also. Lots of label reading lol :)
I know you say you are fed up of the small variety of flavours on Cambridge, but is that not really the point of Cambridge. I'm not dissing Cambridge at all, I've never done it, so don't really know much about it, or any VLCD either. Have you spoken to your CD counsellor at all?
I'm not trying to discourage you from taking the Xenical, but I do think you need to be 100% sure that you're not going to be upset when you're not losing as much on Xenical than if you had stayed on CD. And that upset leads you to sabotaging the fab weight loss you have already achieved.
xxx

Thanks for that, I totally get what your saying about the possibility of sabotaging my current losses. The thing I have been struggling with most is the thought of not losing the same amount as on Cambridge Diet and regretting my decision if I do stop. I think I would be really upset if I stopped and ended up losing 4/6lb a month when I have been doing more like 14lb a month. It is a huge difference. I just wrestle with myself all the time now about what I want to do. CD actually has quite a large range of flavours but there are very few I like and it still is only bars, soups or shakes so although you are alternating the flavours you haven't got the different textures ect.

I guess i'm just being impatient and want it all to come off asap but I would love to eat something normal again!

Hi Gillian

Not sure if this helps but here goes...

I started new new eating regime in Jan, lost 20 odd pounds and then plateaued... went to the docs and she suggested Xenical.

I am on week 4 and have lost about 5-6lb, its about what I had expected as my diet hasnt changed much from before but now I am not tempted.

From the losses I have seen on the CD website its no comparison - BUT there are some big loosers on here (meant in the nicest possible way) some loose a lot when they first start BUT that is due to a radical change in their diet.

Effectively your calorific intake may increase on this as I understand the CD is just shakes/bars, we are on about 1200-1500 a day (ish), what are you eating calorie wise?

I think its a different concept, Xenical aids in your food choices, I dont know about others on here but I am beginning to like less fatty foods and explore alternatives I would never have tries or even knew existed so I am enjoying this rather than resenting it.

I will be more than happy with 1lb a week, its gone - not coming back so I dont really care how long it takes, i will get there in my time and arrive at a lifestyle I can maintain.

I hope this makes sence!

Julie x

hiya, i'm not on either diet, but i just thought i'd add my tuppence as well, hope you don't mind :)

i reckon you should stick with cambridge. your losses have been fantastic and you know that you are guaranteed to get to your goal if you stick to it. if you take it one day at a time, i'm sure you can forego a couple of months of 'real' food if it gets you to your goal. what do you want more? the weight to come off, or to taste real food right now? it will happen, and what's a couple of months in relation to your long term health and happiness?

hope you make the decision that's right for you hun, good luck with the rest of your weight loss, you're doing fab so far!!

- rhuba x

Hi Gillian
I'm with Julie on this one.....I'm happy to lose the weight slowly but for good, as I know I'm re-educating myself with the choices I have to make because of the Xenical. And, again like Julie, I really can't face the idea of fatty food anymore - not now my taste buds can actually tase real fresh food again. Xenical stops me from going back to greasy food for fear of the embarrassing episodes, but to be honest, I wouldn't want to anyway.
Even my boyfriend has got into this label checking low fat business, and he's eating things I'd never have dreamed he would, and he feels loads better and is losing weight - and he isn't even on the Xenical.
So I guess I'm saying this is a slower and steadier way of losing weight and not in the same league as the CD, it depends on whether losing the weight quickly is your aim, or getting your head around the beneficial ways of eating normal foods. I just wish I could do both...that would be a dream come true :)

Well done on your losses so far, I hope to get there myself one day

Hi Gillian

I've only just started on the xenical (day 3) but before I went to the doctor about it I gave serious thought to CD and went to see a counsellor.
What swung it for me was although you get very rapid weightloss on CD, it doesn't really educate you into knowing what works for you foodwise. I figured if I was capable of making healthy food choices all along, I wouldn't have got to the size I am. That is why I chose the xenical route. Although I know I won't achieve the rapid weight loss of a VLCD, it will be better for me in the long term as I am looking at the change of diet as a new way of life.
I hope whichever you decide to go with will work best for you, depending what your motivations are.

Kate x x

Thanks for all the replies!! It really has gave me more insight in to xenical. I think I am going to try to stick to CD for now and see how I get on. It is really tough going but I do want to lose the weight as fast as possible. I wouldn't say that I have an unhealthy relationship with food or that I need to re-educate myself. I know everyone is different but my weight has mainly came on through having 2 babies in under 2 years with 2 c-sections so long periods of not being able to get about alot and previous to having the babies I stopped smoking. Obviously I was eating to get to this weight but it was more through circumstance than my eating being out of control for a long time. I was never fat pre babies and pre stopping smoking.

You all sound so sure of your reasons for going on xenical and good on you all, I really hope you all do well on it, i'm sure you will.

I think my main problem with cd is the very little variety. I'm certainly not craving rubbish or fatty foods. I've actually been dreaming of home made soup and salad rolls lol! BUT once i've finished the diet I will be able to eat those things and stay healthy and slim. I guess i've got at another 8/9wks of the hardest bit (sole source) and then 6wks or so working my way up the maintenance plans. So about 15/16wks all in left to go. It doesn't sound alot and I know it isn't alot in the long run, just some days are better than others. We are all in the same boat in that respect.

Thanks again for sharing all your stories and for the advice. I wish you all the best with your weight loss journeys.

Hi Gillian

Not sure if this helps but here goes...

I started new new eating regime in Jan, lost 20 odd pounds and then plateaued... went to the docs and she suggested Xenical.

I am on week 4 and have lost about 5-6lb, its about what I had expected as my diet hasnt changed much from before but now I am not tempted.

From the losses I have seen on the CD website its no comparison - BUT there are some big loosers on here (meant in the nicest possible way) some loose a lot when they first start BUT that is due to a radical change in their diet.

Effectively your calorific intake may increase on this as I understand the CD is just shakes/bars, we are on about 1200-1500 a day (ish), what are you eating calorie wise?

I think its a different concept, Xenical aids in your food choices, I dont know about others on here but I am beginning to like less fatty foods and explore alternatives I would never have tries or even knew existed so I am enjoying this rather than resenting it.

I will be more than happy with 1lb a week, its gone - not coming back so I dont really care how long it takes, i will get there in my time and arrive at a lifestyle I can maintain.

I hope this makes sence!

Julie x
This site is so good just reading your message i was begining to give up on the weight loss thing...... and just love my fat. you have given me hope again thanks

Back