How much exercise?

lou1978

I dont think thats true. When I did CD I worked out (really hard) 6 times a week doing high intensity cardio and weights and the weight came off at around the same (if not quicker) that those not exercising, Plus I was really toned.

Will try to do the same this time (maybe not as intense though).

If your body can cope with it you will be ok. Remember to listen to what your body needs, you may need a few days where you will need an extra pack e.t.c.

If you're use to exercise it shouldn't be a problem, I think it is if you are on Exante and you are new to exercise you should take it easy. Don't want to shock your body too much lol.

Last edited:
I read somewhere on here that too much cardio will stall the losses, is this true as I exercise 5 days a week doing 45mins in the gym each day? Hope someone can answer me.
?????? burning more calories than you are taking in equals weight loss. Cardio is best for weight loss as it burns more calories than just weight training. Plus it makes you feel great !!!

?????? burning more calories than you are taking in equals weight loss. Cardio is best for weight loss as it burns more calories than just weight training. Plus it makes you feel great !!!

The problem with VLCD's is that your calories are so low you need all of them for your body to function correctly, if you expend too many calories doing exercise it may push you into a state of starvation where your body refuses to let go of anything at all and your weight loss stops.
B xx

The problem with VLCD's is that your calories are so low you need all of them for your body to function correctly, if you expend too many calories doing exercise it may push you into a state of starvation where your body refuses to let go of anything at all and your weight loss stops.
B xx
Hi Quak,

Where did you get that idea from then??? I have never seen that theory except from people who don't understand what VLCD are about and don't agree with them at all.[ which is obviously not you] I just don't think that is true from everything I have read and personal experience.I think having good nutrition in the packs prevents the starvation issue. I am afraid we have no[ valid] excuse not to exercise,[ I have loads of invalid ones] it is essential for health all round.
Really appreciate all your posts on this forum Quak, sorry to disagree with such a star dieter.It's good to have a bit of a debate though.

Hey Baby,

Thanks for that. I was in Sussex yesterday, it's really snowy! Have you been doing any sledging on those Downs?
I looked at that link, very helpful. I don't know if that's what Quak saw but it's one of those anti very low calorie diet pages that many of us VLCDers and the medical profession know not to be necessarily true. It does say though that to avoid losing muscle you should do more exercise. This adds to my passion for exercise. The likes of Exante and LL etc are expensive because they are very clever starvation mode avoiding combinations of all the nutrients you need at minimum calories in a palatable form. If you keep feeding the body all the nutrients it needs you fool it into avoiding starvation cos it feels well fed and all it does then is dip into your body's own larder of fat stores for extra energy calories. Bingo ! we all get gorgeously slim and live happily ever after. Exercise helps keep your metabolism on the boil too, builds muscle and then you burn even more calories even when you are sleeping.
Hope you keep safe on the slippery ice and are getting your deliveries OK. Nice to talk to you.

Hi Tummy

Yeah its very snowy here but no I have not been sledging I am a clutz at the best of times let alone going down the downs on a bit of plastic. Haha

I agree that everyone should exercise and that it has many benefits for your health but I also think that exercising EXCESSIVLY (sp) whilst on a VLCD would not be a good idea, purely because of the pressure it would put on the body.

I dont know if excessive exercise would cause you go inot starvation mode whilst on a VLCD and to be honest I probably would not even do enough exercise to find out, I do however believe that if you are already doing the exercise and enter a VLCD you probably would not have to adjust your exercise by much if any at all because your body is already use to the exercise.

I am probably not making much sense, I am confusing myself. haha.

Sarah
xxxxx

Hi Quak,

Where did you get that idea from then??? I have never seen that theory except from people who don't understand what VLCD

Yes, it is true. There's been a lot of research concerning VLCDs and cardio exercise. It's not necessarily that weight loss slows straight away (though it can), more that your body can get it's energy stores from lean instead of fat if it's pushed too hard..ie calories in vs calories out and so reduce your metabolism which obviously makes longer term goals harder

And yes, I do understand about VLCDs (am a VLCD counsellor). It's a whole different ball game than exercising on a higher level of calories

However, research does show that though cardio can have this effect, resistance exercise will help spare lean loss :) So hit those weights :)

KD to the rescue - I have read this many times on the various VLCD forums and it makes sense to me, and I know from my own experiences that I can "run out of steam" if I push myself too hard on this level of calories. I don't want to do any long term harm to myself and although Exante recommend 20 mins exercise I usually do twice that but as brisk walking rather than hard cardio. I also have one of those vibro plates that I use regularly which I think helps with the toning. I do need to do some weights work but think what I am doing at the moment is enough for what I need and it seems to be achieving my aims.

And yes Tummy Tamer - debate IS good :D
Bxx

Ooh sneaky Quak, you pulled out the "brisk walking" card. That kind of trumps everything doesn't it . Brisk walking is the Mary Poppins of exercise, "practically perfect in every way"

I guess everyone's body is different and reacts differently to calories and exercise. I know that I feel more bouncey at the beginning of a run when I have had carbs[ ie xmas] and have a store of glycogen in my muscles. I also know that after the first 10 minutes I then feel about the same as when I am in ketosis on low carbs and calories. So it is different for sure. Lifting my fat old body off the ground when I run is resistance training a plenty and I have been amazed to feel my thighs are not actually made of marshmallow as I have always thought but there is muscle in there and it is are pretty firm now, well when I tense them up anyway. I have Jillian Michaels 30 day shred DVD.It is only 20 minutes and I really recommend it. It is a good short intense all round workout to keep your body guessing, you need some hand weights though, good for preventing flabbiness post weight loss.
The most important thing for me in this debate[ and I am sure you agree] is that we don't feed the idea you shouldn't do any exercise on a VLCD as that is the sort of thing my inner car junkie food addict likes to hear and uses to sabotage my weight loss and health goals. This discussion started with a new to the diet person asking the question about exercise so I was just keen to promote the idea that yes , listen to your body, but get moving, and if you have been a gold medal couch potato like me, that probably means moving a bit out of your comfort zone in order to push yourself into new healthy habits and then really feeling the benefit of exercise...... So you had a good time at xmas, jumped straight back on the diet afterwards and lost a mighty 4lbs.... you're not Mary Poppins are you?????

Hi TT - no certainly no Mary Poppins here lol - brisk walking for me means being towed behind a choccy labrador who used to weigh one third what I did and now weighs just over half what I do so I am going faster and faster as there is less to pull along! Yes I had a good time at xmas but did not go overboard and tried to leave the carbs alone as I know they are my problem area and somehow it all worked out fine :D
Yes, exercise is good and recommended by Exante as long as you don't go overboard - moderation in all things ;-)
B xx

Back