How much water?

DaisyDixon

Hi,

Does anyone know how much water we are supposed to drink on a daily basis?

At one time it used to be 8 glasses but I think I've read somewhere recently that this is a bit of an urban myth and now less is acceptable.

For me I aim for 3 litres a day. This is because I am very big, and also because I am on the SS Cambridge I need to keep my fluid intake up.
Drinking enough water really does make my skin and hair much clearer and brighter.

nhs still recommend 8 glasses a day..
i try to drink 2-3 litres a day bcus it flushes toxins out and my skin is always clear :)

There is a simple formula you can use to determine the minimum amount of water you should drink per day depending on your body weight. As each person's weight is different, we will also have different water intake requirements.

Imperial system: 0.6 ounces x bodyweight in pounds

Metric system: 37.5 ml x bodyweight in kg

Of course, there are many factors that can add to these requirements: volume of daily activity, climate, plane flights etc...

Im on the VLCD diet by slim and save i drink inbetween 2-3 litres per day. I feel better for it too, i feel like my skins smoother . Its not very nice when I started though and had to pop to the loo every 5 minutes. xoxo

Your body can handle something like 15L a day, so no more than that, and you should probably try to drink at least 2

Hey,
A common recommendation is to drink six or eight 8-ounce glasses of water or other fluid every day. But some adults may need more or less, depending on how healthy they are, how much they exercise, and how hot and dry the climate is.

You may sometimes need to drink more water than usual if you:

• Exercise intensely, especially in a hot climate.
  • Are sick, such as with the flu, or have a health problem like a urinary tract infection.

Hi - the NHS website recommends 1,6L and that can include fruit and herb teas, sugar free squash etc - good luck in upping ur water intake - I found it difficult in the beginning - but getting used to it now and actually feel thirsty at times (a new thing for me!)

Hello,
Drinking 8 glass of water is good for health it is not cause for reducing weight but is cause for flush out all the toxins from the body...

Drinking plenty of water won't make you lose weight but it will stop your body retaining as much water.......if you don't drink much then the body retains water for when needed, this can make you look bloated and bigger than you really are, drinking 2-3l a day stops the body holding so much and you will appear to have lost weight :)

At least 8 ounces a day is recommended. If you are an active person, I suggest more since you will be needing more replenishment then a average person who is not active.

I drink about 4 pints a day...agree that it is good for health and for the body to flush toxins, I think it does aid weight loss in so much that people often mistake that they are hungry when really they are thirsty, drinking plenty helps to keep you full... I find that it helps to "move things along" too.

Pleased I have read this thread as I was wondering the same - I remember 10 years ago when I lost lots of weight (2 stone lighter than I am now) that an online friend was drinking water straight from the fridge and that really helped her weight loss. I have also since read somewhere that you can drink too much water - not sure if that is true?!

Anyway - my diet is starting with a vengeance tomorrow - so shall make sure that the 1lt bottle of pepsi is drunk up this evening so I can chill lots for drinking throughout the day :)

I aim for 2-3L a day, according to the equation (someones already posted it) for my stats I should drink 3L a day, which does include herbal teas and things. I have a dodgy bladder and surprisingly drinking 2-3L a day I don't go to the loo as much as when I wasn't. I think it does help you lose weight, most of the time when you're hungry your thirsty so if you drink water before meals and throughout the day you're less likely to snack or overeat. It prevents constipation in a joint effort with fibre, and it also helps at a molecular level. In short - water rocks!
chucksmum, it is possible to drink too much but you're looking at an awful lot of water, more than most can drink in 24 hours. I think the limit is 15L.

i drink about 4 pints a day too - i used to really struggle because i was drinking ordinary tap water - but then i started using one of those filtering jugs that you keep in the fridge and i have found it much easier since then - you dont realise how awful some tap water can taste until you have filtered it for a while! - i also cant stand drinking water unless its cold, so that helps too!

some days i can get up to 4litres, but it really makes me need to pee. i always try to get at least 2litre and another litre on days I'm exercising

Back