How Slimming World Works - Advice for Newbies (Updated for 2015)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm new to this forum and only been doing SW about 1 month. The post was really helpful, thank you :)

Am soo loving this Extra Easy plan, seem to be able to eat pretty much most things and the weight coming off at a nice pace

Hi squiddie very informative for the sw people x

Hi
thanks for the advice,
just checking im not missing something, on EE you can have meat, veg and potatoes/pasta as free foods? i did sw a good few years ago and have since put it all on again and more, and now im under a year to go to my wedding i really want to make a start but due to my work patterns i dont have time to attend meetings (or the money with saving for the wedding!)
The only info i have is my old sw book, and a few old mags, if anyone have any more tips or advice it would be really appreciated!

You can but you need to have one third of your plate as superfree foods - fruit and veg (exc potatoes, parsnips, peas, sweetcorn) - as this helps to limit the amount of free food you eat.

Hi if you need new sw books you can buy them on e bay but they not always cheap or you could join sw and just go for a couple of weeks to get the up to date plan good luck x

boofle said:
Hi if you need new sw books you can buy them on e bay but they not always cheap or you could join sw and just go for a couple of weeks to get the up to date plan good luck x

I'm a slimming world consultant , very interesting information your broadcasting !! The book is not the only thing you need to follow the plan I'm over 3st lighter thanks to my own consultant and also my group and the knowledge I gained going to group and I wouldn't have done by picking tips up off this site . I'm afraid there's a lot of ppl on here who think they know all there is to know about slimming world well they don't , join a group it's the best way to go .

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

I don't think anyone is saying that we shouldn't go to group, but some people really can't manage it. Either they can't afford the fees or they have other commitments that don't fit in with meetings. The nearest group to me is over 3 miles away on a night that I babysit my grandson. The others around are at least 4 miles away and at times when I am working. I did attend a group several years ago and was a target member. It seems that every holiday and Christmas I put on 7lbs and lost 3lbs so over the years I became 2 stones heavier. I lost 1st and gave up as I was trying to lose at a busy time in my life. Then at Christmas I found this site and I've lost another 1st with the support I've found on here. My days at SW classes were before EE. As I have never had it explained to me officially I don't do it. I stick to red or green days and only ever offer advice on those. Most people on this site only say what works for them. They don't claim to be experts. I don't think we are trying to do you out of a job. We all think SW is great. :)

Hi anne like supergran says not everyone can get to a class or cannot afford to go to class so they go it on their own with a lot of help and support from each other on this forum and i think they do a great job whether they know it all or not they are all there for each other

join a group it's the best way to go .

I don't think groups are necessarily the be all and end all of SW - and they definitely don't work for everyone. In addition to the reasons already mentioned some people just do not enjoy the group dynamic, the personalities may not be welcoming and just because someone is a consultant does not not automatically make them a motivating leader. I've seen some very poor consultants in my time and we regularly hear of consultant who misinform their members. Lots of people lose weight very successfully without ever going to class. I think the point is that people have to do what is best for them - and it that means buying the materials off ebay then fair do. Group worked for you and, until recently, me but I wouldn't dream of suggested it's one size fits all.

Circes said:
I don't think groups are necessarily the be all and end all of SW - and they definitely don't work for everyone. In addition to the reasons already mentioned some people just do not enjoy the group dynamic, the personalities may not be welcoming and just because someone is a consultant does not not automatically make them a motivating leader. I've seen some very poor consultants in my time and we regularly hear of consultant who misinform their members. Lots of people lose weight very successfully without ever going to class. I think the point is that people have to do what is best for them - and it that means buying the materials off ebay then fair do. Group worked for you and, until recently, me but I wouldn't dream of suggested it's one size fits all.

What was mentioned by one person was to join a group to get the book . I must admit thats what made me reply . Maybe that's what a lot of ppl do ... It's wrong really After all they sell them on eBay and i wonder were they get them from must've ex members even we can't buy them

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

If you look on ebay there are always lots of SW (and other slimming club) materials for sale, most likely by people who have joined and for whatever reason no longer attend. I don't have a problem with that personally. What I do disagree with however is the people who go to class and get their materials, and then scan them and make multiple copies on disc for selling on. That is clearly well out of line and I always advise people not to buy it in that form.

I actually e-mailed one seller on ebay to ask if what she was selling was legal. She was advertising copies of the EE plan, complete with SW logo, which she had designed on her computer.When I queried this she said her consultant had asked her to design them as Head Office were not supplying them. I think that was a load of tosh and agree that sort of thing should be stopped by SW head office.

I just read this original post in my third week just coming to weigh in and its given me a boost, my week 1 was a loss my second despite working harder was a maintain and I know it was not a gain but I was miffed especially as my hubby lost 6 and we ate identically. However it was a star week so that could be it, but this weekend I struggled a lot, have famnily issues going on and feel low. Its so hard to have to find meals to cook for a family planning and creating when stressed.
I am a good cook and in my head are literally hundreds of meals, now I am starting from scratch learning new ones and its been tougher this week.
The post made me feel a little bit less despondent, glad I read it as I just destroyed a pasta n sauce in the microwave, I can cook a gourmet meal but not a dried pasta dish it seems. Off to get a fruit salad instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back