How Slimming World Works - Advice for Newbies (Updated for 2015)

Status
Not open for further replies.
What was mentioned by one person was to join a group to get the book . I must admit thats what made me reply .
That may have been me. All I was suggesting was that if you cannot afford to go to a group, then go atleast once. It's a £15 - £20 investment plus you get the latest 100% correct information. Personally I go to a group for several reasons and wouldn't be able to succeed if I didn't. I didn't write this thread to stop people joining groups, it was just to explain the fundamentals as it can be a lot to take in on your first meeting.

I'm a slimming world consultant , very interesting information your broadcasting !! The book is not the only thing you need to follow the plan I'm over 3st lighter thanks to my own consultant and also my group and the knowledge I gained going to group and I wouldn't have done by picking tips up off this site . I'm afraid there's a lot of ppl on here who think they know all there is to know about slimming world well they don't , join a group it's the best way to go .

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins
personally when i previously went to meetings i hated it, i felt as if i was paying to be peer pressured into losing weight, no one ever said anything negative, but it felt like being back at school and having to do well to fit in, i really appreciate all the help and advice on here, its very friendly and makes me worry a lot less :)

When I went to group I enjoyed it, but our C didn't really do things as she should have. There was no going around the room going through losses and gains. She just asked for a show of hadns for people who were pleased or not pleased. Of the people that were not pleased she asked whether they knew why or not. That worked well and left the rest of the time for discussing new products, scary syn values (I still can't look at a bag of Kettle Chips without feeling some guilt!) and strategies for keeping on track. However good she was, it was no more than I could have got here. The only extra a group has for me is the accountability. If I gain, I won't be able to keep it a secret. That was quite stressful. At least here if I gain (not happened yet but very early days!) I'm relatively anonymous and people always offer helpful advice.

I found when I went to group the leader made us feel so ashamed for putting on a lb it made you feel like you were scared to return. Wouldn't of minded but I was always bumping into her around town buying mcdonalds. While I was living off mullerlights. The nerve lol. So this time no group meetings for me

When I went to group I enjoyed it, but our C didn't really do things as she should have. There was no going around the room going through losses and gains. She just asked for a show of hadns for people who were pleased or not pleased. Of the people that were not pleased she asked whether they knew why or not. That worked well and left the rest of the time for discussing new products, scary syn values (I still can't look at a bag of Kettle Chips without feeling some guilt!) and strategies for keeping on track. However good she was, it was no more than I could have got here. The only extra a group has for me is the accountability. If I gain, I won't be able to keep it a secret. That was quite stressful. At least here if I gain (not happened yet but very early days!) I'm relatively anonymous and people always offer helpful advice.

She should really be reported to HQ because she obviously wasn't doing her job properly! It goes against everything the Image Therapy training teaches which emphasises the importance of focusing on and supporting each member in the group. That's what members pay for!! X

God no! It was a big group. No one pays to sit there for an hour clapping like seals as they go round the room reading out names and losses...on the weeks she was on hols and the class was covered by someone doing it 'properly' she lost members!

Sent from my Desire HD using MiniMins

Sassia said:
God no! It was a big group. No one pays to sit there for an hour clapping like seals as they go round the room reading out names and losses...on the weeks she was on hols and the class was covered by someone doing it 'properly' she lost members!
Sent from my Desire HD using MiniMins

Oh riigghhtt! Fair point! I suppose it can be tiresome waiting for my C to go through every member when it's busy and I am known to glaze over a little, but I must say that on the whole I get a lot out of staying for image therapy as a lot of us can relate to each others' struggles (as here on MMs) and quite often something someone says will stick in my head and help me through the week! Because I've been going so long my C often involves me a lot in supporting the other members as I've experienced every weight-loss/gain emotion known to man so I do enjoy being able to help others! And crikey sometimes I need help too! It's horses for courses but I know that I'm the kind of person who needs to go (and stay) to class! I wish I could go it alone (and with the help of the wonderful people on Minimins) but I'm afraid I can't!

I used to enjoy staying too (and with her not doing it properly we had more time for the fun stuff!)- quizzes about syn values, tasters, finding new products, advice about social functions and how to not consume a months worth of syns etc Really, really useful.

I miss going to a group, but there isn't one near enough to me...

I used to enjoy staying too (and with her not doing it properly we had more time for the fun stuff!)- quizzes about syn values, tasters, finding new products, advice about social functions and how to not consume a months worth of syns etc Really, really useful.

I miss going to a group, but there isn't one near enough to me...

Sounds a little more like the WW meetings then! Maybe it's time for me to persuade my C to do it the wrong way teehee!! I must admit I do find she rushes through the new product info and news at the start in order to get to the members bit, but I guess this is through no fault of her own :sigh:X

She is only obeying orders!

I think our one was known for being a bit of a maverick, but whilst her groups had great losses and were really popular, no one at HQ was going to argue too much.

I've never been to WW meetngs. I've tried WW for 2 months or so online and never really got on with it.

thats why I stopped going to meetings,in the summer when we went in she would say nobody is staying because it's nice weather and she made you feel you just had to get weighed and go.that done nothing for me I wanted to stay but didn't have the bottle to say so.this happened 3 wks on the run so I left.Needless to say I put another 2 stone on so disheartened about it....I think this forum is brilliant for advice and motivation and what I am saving without paying out the fees for class I can take my grandkids out for a treat.thank you to a wonderful bunch of virtual friends.x

Can someone please confirm whether ALL fruit and veg is now superfree on EE?

When I did SW about 15 months ago I was told that it didn't include sweet corn, parsnips, peas or baked beans..........

I live in a very rural area now so I'm going it alone at home this time as my nearest meeting is a 24 mile round trip :eek: and with the price of rural petrol (around £1.45/litre round here at the moment) and membership fees it would prove too pricey.

Any advice from resident experts would be much appreciated :) Thank you

All fruit and veg apart from potatoes, sweet potatoes, sweetcorn, peas, parsnips, avocado and some of the more exotic fruits. Basically any that are free on BOTH red and green plans.

Thanks for clarifying that Circes :)

G1zm0 - sadly can't afford to do it on line either :( There's only me working now and I'm finding it hard enough to afford the extra fruit and veg and other specials with only a Co-Op close by and the nearest major supermarket a 60 mile round trip away!

Thankfull Minimins is here to give me a helping hand, for which I am very grateful.

Hi, can someone help with the following, I am new so advice appreciated! I know that on EE you are supposed to have 1/3 of your plate superfree food (ie veg/fruit). How does that work with snacks? so for example I had free curry rice and veg last night. The veg was 1/3 of my plate. But there was some curry and rice leftover, we ate all the veg, and so I will prob snack on that about 4pm (as going to weigh in tonight but wont be back unil 8.15 and will be starving by then!) But there are no veg left. So for a snack of a smallish plate of curry and rice, would you then be expected to have some veg as well? Or would a piece of fruit do? Thank you!

This thread is fantastic! I'm joining SW on Wednesday and has gave me a good idea of what to expect. Thank you and congrats on your weight loss! :) x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back