How Slimming World Works - Advice for Newbies (Updated for 2015)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi and welcome to the forum. I joined SW Online a couple of months ago before finding this forum. To be honest I find this forum more useful than the SW online site. There is always someone on here that will answer any questions, offer ideas and tips. If you haven't already, have a good look thru the forum and check out all the threads. The food diaries are always good to get ideas for meals. Below is a link to the thread for those of us who are doing SW from home. Good luck.

http://www.minimins.com/slimming-world/243438-doing-sw-home.html

Thanks LizzieM!!! I am starting to like the idea more and more. Read a whole bunch of reviews online last night comparing SW to WW and was really impressed! The only thing I am worried about is without the "pressure" of going to a meeting, I might not be as disciplined. I was thinking of doing the "free 7 day meal plan" thingy on the website just to try it with the hubby (he is super fussy about food - and he is super fit with like NO fat on his body - so he NEVER diets or worries about what he eats)... The meals on the website look really yummy and I think that might be a good start before I commit to paying etc.

This website is awesome by the way! :D

Hi

I am fairly new to slimmng world and have a few questions re extra easy.

I know you have to fill your plate with 1/3 superfree at every meal - sometimes im not a great lover of salad etc and will have some with my dinner - can I have fruit afterwards - would this add up to my 1/3? Hope that makes sense!

Hi Jillian,
Ideally you should eat your superfree 1/3 with your meal, if you dont really like salad try having some roasted veg or check out slimming world syn free ratatouille. If you really can't eat veg with your meal then you could try and have your fruit just before you eat. The idea of the 1/3 superfree is that you fill up on the superfree and eat less of the rest of the food so you will still be satisfied.
Does that make sense?
Good Luck
B x

Hi, does anyone know if the new SW Free Branded Food book is worth buying? My consultant didn't have one in group on Thursday so I couldn't have a flick through. Thanks for your help :)

This thread is great thank you, although I am a member of online slimming world it is great to have all that in one easy to find place x

Such a useful thread! Thanks. I've re-started for the new year and am always tempted to not use all my syns but now the reason why they are there is so much clearer. I have the starter pack from last summer is it worth getting another so I don't have lots of wrong syns?

these look soooo good... hubby will like these

Here is a recipe for Falafals, easy to make!
Enjoy..............

Pete’s Mini Falafels

Makes 18

Ingredients

2 Wholemeal slices of bread (400g loaf) 1Heb or 6syn
1 400g chickpeas (s)(sff)
1tsp cumin
1egg (ff)
2tbsp chopped coriander
1tsp chilli flakes (s)(sff)
100g Roasted red peppers (s)(sff)
2 spring onions (s)(sff)

Method

In a food processor reduce the ingredients to a smooth paste, put in a small bowl and cover, place in the fridge until the mixture is firm, remove and form into small size “burgers”

Heat a frying pan and spray with Fry Light, cook in batches on both sides, remove and allow to cool.

View attachment 64372

Unsure if it'll work?!

Hi all

I joined Slimming World last week and I'm really dubious if it'll work because I seem to eating a lot! For example, yesterday I had:
1 miller light (fat free)
Tuna (in spring water) salad
An apple
2 x celmentines
1 cheese snack a jack
1 carrot and tub of mini Philidelphia ( extra light x 2)
Jacket pot
A little bit of a chicken breast
A small tin of beans

Is this too much? I don't feel any different and I started on Thursday - not a huge amount of time, I know but I thought I'd feel a little flatter tummied?

I was 11.6 and a half when I weighed and I want to be at 9.7 (by June - is that possible on SW??)

Reassurance needed - it's for my wedding in August!

Thank you!x

It sounds absolutely fine hun, probably not enough!! Make sure you are using your syns and def you're healthy extra's. Drink lots of water too. Be patient, sw really does work. I lost nearly 4 stone in 9 months last year. It can be done! Keep going :)

Sent from my HTC Desire S using MiniMins

Hi, does anyone know if the new SW Free Branded Food book is worth buying? My consultant didn't have one in group on Thursday so I couldn't have a flick through. Thanks for your help :)

I think so, I take mine to the supermarket with me and it fits in my pocket :). I'm doing SW from home so I got mine from Ebay along with the low syns book.

Mrs Vix, that doesn't look like enough veg (superfree) in each meal, and maybe not enough food in general. Do you have a group?

My advice to anyone starting is: Make sure to fill out the measurements in your book. I wish I had done that! Now that I've lost a stone, I can feel it in my clothes, but I'd like to know how many inches I lost. Oh well :)

Hi all

I joined Slimming World last week and I'm really dubious if it'll work because I seem to eating a lot! For example, yesterday I had:
1 miller light (fat free)
Tuna (in spring water) salad
An apple
2 x celmentines
1 cheese snack a jack
1 carrot and tub of mini Philidelphia ( extra light x 2)
Jacket pot
A little bit of a chicken breast
A small tin of beans

Is this too much? I don't feel any different and I started on Thursday - not a huge amount of time, I know but I thought I'd feel a little flatter tummied?

I was 11.6 and a half when I weighed and I want to be at 9.7 (by June - is that possible on SW??)

Reassurance needed - it's for my wedding in August!

Thank you!x

congratulations! I lost 1.5 on SW last year for my wedding, just a shame it's back plus some lol xxx

Syns

Remember:
15 syns = 300 cals
300 x 7 days = 2100 cals

To lose 1lb per week you need to reduce your calorie in take by 3500 (on top of your normal maintenance cals) so by not having any syns at all you will not even lose an extra pound! You might think well every calorie helps, this isn’t necessarily true. Just trust and follow the plan.

I know this initial post is 3 years old :eek: but thank you ever so much for it Natt. I've just been doing this a week and I found the clarification of syns and estimated calories really helpful - especially for sticky eating out situations where I may need to estimate until I'm a bit more clued up. So thank you again & everyone else whose contributed to the thread - have to pace myself with reading through it all now!

Question regarding Free and Superfree.

So i started SW EE last week, and am getting my head around all of the terms.

It says to fill your plate with 1/3 super free and 2/3's free. What happens if some mealtimes there just isn't that balance? For example today my lunch mainly consisted of Superfree veg and some Free ham. Will this be a detriment to my weightloss if there's more SF than F??

If it is, then I'm out straight away to chow down on some chicken!!

xx

I just wanted to say the reason I joined this forum was because I spent hours reading this thread yesterday - thank you for all the advice! :D

Question regarding Free and Superfree.

So i started SW EE last week, and am getting my head around all of the terms.

It says to fill your plate with 1/3 super free and 2/3's free. What happens if some mealtimes there just isn't that balance? For example today my lunch mainly consisted of Superfree veg and some Free ham. Will this be a detriment to my weightloss if there's more SF than F??

If it is, then I'm out straight away to chow down on some chicken!!

xx

No not at all! In fact that will boost it even more - do you have the new pack? If so, the meal you just had is called 'success express' where you have 2/3 superfree and third free. I often eat meals like this as I'm vegan and I find it does really give you a boost.

Hi everyone. I'm new to SW (started last Wednesday) and have been religiously following the EE plan and for the most part enjoying it. I have roughly 3-4 stone to lose so a lot of LBs and yet I know from my own bathroom scales (it will be my SW weigh-in tomorrow) that I have not lost a single pound. To say I am disheartened and upset is an understatement as I've given this everything over the last week. :( I am due my period on Thursday/Friday - could that have something to do with it? Or can any fellow SW people reassure me that not everyone loses a mammoth half stone in their first week. Am feeling ever so disappointed. :sigh: Incidentally I am noshing on lots of superfree and am having 10-12 Syns a day.

Thanks to anyone in advance who can shed some light/offer kind words!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back