How Slimming World Works - Advice for Newbies (Updated for 2015)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great advice! Thanks for the tips x

this was amazingly helpful, but i've heard of superSPEED foods but cant find any clear information on what foods fall in to this catergory. theres always confusion between superfree and superspeed

Dannii x

this was amazingly helpful, but i've heard of superSPEED foods but cant find any clear information on what foods fall in to this catergory. theres always confusion between superfree and superspeed

Dannii x

My mum has this issue too, I think it's quite common to confused the two.

Basically speed and super speed, speed up, or super speed up your weight loss as these foods having maximum filling power with minimum calories.

Superfree came from when there was only Red and Green these were fruits and vegetables that were free on both plans, for example peas and sweetcorn are NOT superfree as you had to syn them if you were following Red. Whereas lettuce and cucumber ARE superfree because they are free on any plan.

To add to the confusion MOST superfree foods are (super)speed foods, but there are loads of (super)speed foods that aren't superfree!! (Certain fish for example).

The way to try and remember it is that essentially, the SW marketing team didn't want to say "fill a third of your plate with fruit or vegetables" so they came up with superfree!

I hope this helps, if not let me know and I'll try again.
Natt

My mum has this issue too, I think it's quite common to confused the two.

Basically speed and super speed, speed up, or super speed up your weight loss as these foods having maximum filling power with minimum calories.

Superfree came from when there was only Red and Green these were fruits and vegetables that were free on both plans, for example peas and sweetcorn are NOT superfree as you had to syn them if you were following Red. Whereas lettuce and cucumber ARE superfree because they are free on any plan.

To add to the confusion MOST superfree foods are (super)speed foods, but there are loads of (super)speed foods that aren't superfree!! (Certain fish for example).

The way to try and remember it is that essentially, the SW marketing team didn't want to say "fill a third of your plate with fruit or vegetables" so they came up with superfree!

I hope this helps, if not let me know and I'll try again.
Natt

Thanks, I get confused too, do you have any idea where to track down a list of which foods are (super)speed?

S42.jpg
Som_June.jpg
Club10.jpg
FitBronze.jpg

Thanks, I get confused too, do you have any idea where to track down a list of which foods are (super)speed?
In your book it's any foods from pages 10 to 19 that have either a S or SS next to them. If you don't have a book then we cannot give out lists of types of foods, however we can confirm/deny requests. For example if you wanted to know if lettuce, cucumber, courgettes, mushrooms, onions, clams, prawns, cod, veal, turkey, venison, butter beans, mushy peas, apples and strawberries were all speed/super speed foods, I'd say yes, they all are. ;-)

I just started SW and on my first weigh in on thurs I had lost 8lbs! Delighted with myself!!! All was going well but I had a bad day yesterday - im devestated - i just ate all around me... im heartbroken - i feel like crying... I know its childish... i was just doing so well. All I wanted this week was a maintain anyway but I know now that il have piled the 8lb back on after sundays pigfest :(

I just started SW and on my first weigh in on thurs I had lost 8lbs! Delighted with myself!!! All was going well but I had a bad day yesterday - im devestated - i just ate all around me... im heartbroken - i feel like crying... I know its childish... i was just doing so well. All I wanted this week was a maintain anyway but I know now that il have piled the 8lb back on after sundays pigfest :(

Honestly, the chances of u gaining the 8lb back after one day off the wagon are pretty much non existent. Brush it off and chalk it up to a lesson learned. If the rest of the week is on plan, you could still even have a small loss. Don't let one days weakness sabotage your journey, that's what WILL gain you back what you worked hard for.

Good luck x

S42.jpg
Som_June.jpg
Club10.jpg
FitBronze.jpg

Thankyou! I think I might join a meeting for a couple of months. It too difficult to stay on plan without all the info. Most of it seems pretty easy as long as you stick to the basics but I need more recipes and variety for my family x

Thankyou! I think I might join a meeting for a couple of months. It too difficult to stay on plan without all the info. Most of it seems pretty easy as long as you stick to the basics but I need more recipes and variety for my family x

It's definitely worth it if you can, and being accountable to someone is a huge help. There are some great recipes on here as well, you'll never be lost for something to cook :p good luck and let us know how you get on with your weigh in ;)

S42.jpg
Som_June.jpg
Club10.jpg
FitBronze.jpg

Restarting today from home, not sure how difficult this is going to be, but I always fail miserably as have no will power, but I'm determined to do this, this thread is just what I needed to put me back into the game! Wish me luck x

Thank you, having a good week so far, its just getting so unbearably hot and sweaty, slaving away in the kitchen for dinner for 3! I need to find some light quick easy meals that do not require standing infront of my cooker for long periods of time! :( I might have a go at making some bbq bubble and squeak cakes, so that they are at hand for quick lunch/ dinner, check me getting sorted ;D xx

Thank you, having a good week so far, its just getting so unbearably hot and sweaty, slaving away in the kitchen for dinner for 3! I need to find some light quick easy meals that do not require standing infront of my cooker for long periods of time! :( I might have a go at making some bbq bubble and squeak cakes, so that they are at hand for quick lunch/ dinner, check me getting sorted ;D xx

I know exactly what you mean. Have you seen those new Philadelphia Simply Stir pouches? It's 13 for the whole pouch so 4.5 each in a family of 3. There are a couple of other low syn pack/sauces we use to cut down the faffing! Patak's curry pastes are 1.5 /2.0 syns per tablespoon and if you follow the online recipes, you need 2 tbsp, also swap the cream for fat free yogurt and use mostly fry light, but you do need to syn a bit of oil (6 syns per tbsp or 2 syns each) otherwise it'll be a bit gritty. There are some nice micro meals we keep in the freezer for times when we're too tired to be bothered!

89160011_H.jpg
Philly - 13 syns (4.5 between 3)

83921011_H.jpg
Pataks Korma 1.5 syns per 1tbsp, Tikka 2 per tbsp

112225.jpg
Sweet n Sour 3.5 syns

020680.jpg
Tomato and Basil Chicken - whole pack 2 syns

Last edited:
Hello all! I'm new to this thread and new to SW. I live in Rome (moved from London in April) and have really struggled with my weight, and am now up at 10st3lbs, whcih for me, is heavy. I joined SW last week and weighed today and was devestated to see I'd GAINED a pound :'( I was certain I stuck to plan and wrote a food diary, so if anyone has any advice, I'd really appreciate it. Im going home to the UK in 2 weeks to try wedding dresses so would really like to be in the 9s by then...even if it's just 9st13lbs! Ha! Thanks all! xx

Hello all! I'm new to this thread and new to SW. I live in Rome (moved from London in April) and have really struggled with my weight, and am now up at 10st3lbs, whcih for me, is heavy. I joined SW last week and weighed today and was devestated to see I'd GAINED a pound :'( I was certain I stuck to plan and wrote a food diary, so if anyone has any advice, I'd really appreciate it. Im going home to the UK in 2 weeks to try wedding dresses so would really like to be in the 9s by then...even if it's just 9st13lbs! Ha! Thanks all! xx
The best way for us to help would be to see your food diary, but you might not be able to do that, so instead; why don't you explain back to us your understanding of the plan (including which version you are following) and we can see if there are any obvious misunderstandings.

Hope that helps,
Natt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back