How successful is the counselling

Angel1974

Loves Porridge
Hello All,

I've done the cambridge diet and lost 3 stone in 3 months then I thought I would be OK on my own and started to eat again, gained 1/2 stone then tried to go back to CD but not been successful, I think I need support and not the claps you get a SW/WW real support.

I am a constant dieter and have been on and off diets forever! - I found CD relatively easy first time round but got to a weight/ size 16 which is the smallest I have been, but couldn't get my head round what is was like to be any smaller so thought that's OK I will manage my weight myself, but surprise surprise I have started to eat everything in sight - so the burning question is would I be better following LL??

Will it help me nail this cycle once and for all??

Any replies would be really helpful in my decision making process

Hi Angel

I love LL. I find the counselling really helpful. I am on week 5 of the foodpacks at the moment but week 7 of the CBT.

When you go to Rosemary Conley, Weight Watchers, Slimming World etc... you get weighed and a quick chin wag with the leader then a group chat. At LL they help you work on why you overeat and give you the tools to work with to stop that happening and change your thought processes about food.

I am sure peole who have been doing LL alot longer than me will provide you far more knowledge than I can but one thing I would say, is that is does work. Last night I was explaining how alot of it works to a friend of mine who is on day 3 and I found myself smiling inside when I could hear myself!

You have made a great start on your weight loss. My suggestion would be, carry out some research on LL, read posts and forums and make your decision but I can confidently say, you won't regret it.

I think that you have to believe in yourself, embrace it with open arms and want it enough to be successful on extreme diets.

Good luck with whatever you decided to do.

Kat xx

Hi, I am on week 12 at the moment and the counselling was one of the things that drew me to LL - that and the dramatic weight loss! For me the TA part of the counselling (about the first 6-7 weeks) was the most relevant, there have been parts of the CBT that have been good but I have found it more difficult to "get". Having said all of that I love the small groups that you are in and the fact that you are all in it together - my group is great and we have really bonded. I get as much from the group as I do from the counselling. I would definitely recommend LL, in fact I have become slightly evangelical about it!

It's great! And it works!
If your councellor is good and motivated they will help you immensely!
My LLC saved me this week by putting me back to place after my somewhat shaky week last week.
I have done every diet there is and i know for a fact LL is by far the most effective and easiest!
I would say, have a good and long think before you decide for or against LL. And be sure to visit the site as often as you can.
It really helps!
Good luck hun
xxx

Hello all,

thank you so much for your comments it's great to hear from people who are really doing it, I am still looking into it and trying to work out when I would need to start as I am off to America in Oct for a trip of a life time need to work out 14 weeks

Will be popping around the forum to see how everyone is getting on
Bye for now x

Morning Angel

Never a better time than to phone and get some info today ;-)

When I started with Lighterlife I went to an information evening when they explain the diet and all the processes to you.

Mike

Hi Angel - It will work and you will keep the weight off, but only if you learn not to treat food the same way as you have!

The fact is that if you continually eat too much (or too much of the wrong things) than you will just get fat again.

LL has given me some great tools to help me out, and also it has given me a much lower weight to start from.

If you want to lose weight quickly, get some useful tools to sort out your food related issues (and others) then go for it.

Just remember that you can never suddenly go back and eat too much and think that you will remain thin!

I've done both LL and CD. I actually did enjoy some of the CBT aspect of LL, but it doesn't work for everyone and some of it is common sense.

What I liked more was the group aspect of it. Just my own take on it though.

For me, CD is the way cause I know my issues and don't need the CBT to highlight them again for me.

Completely up to you I'm afraid!

I find some of the counselling part is a bit hit and miss - mostly because we have a men's group with a mix of abstainers, RTMer's and maintainer's - having said that a lot of what we do cover is very enlightening in exploring the reasons why we behave as we do. Also our counsellor has given us a lot of grounding in the physiology of eating - i.e. glycogen, sugar, insulin, exercise,fat metabolism etc, etc.
All together it proves to be a really good mix.

My stock answer for whenever this question comes up is this:

It will work, if you make it work.
LL won't do it for you, it only gives you the tools which you then have to CHOOSE to use, continually, for the rest of your life (if you want a thin life that is :) )

Deep down, we all know what we should and shouldn't be eating.
The CBT and TA helps you identify *why* we ignore what we already know to be true and best for us, but you have to put in the daily effort to make it work for you.

thanks for all you replies I am going to contact my local LL group to find out a little more ..

Will let you know how I get along. thaks again its great to hear from people who have first hand experience.

bye for now x

I find that the CBT part is really helpful in helping me develop a better attitiude to food already. I feel that my thoughts are already becoming nearer to that of the slim people that I know rather than the scewed relationship that I had before.

Thanks Helen, I have made the first steps to LL and sent my details to a LLC in my area x

I WANT and NEED to get my eating in control :p

Back