How to cut back when eating out without trying

charlottegrace1

Gold Member
Eat at the restaurant I did today. I had spinach and mushroom lasagne and I know the sauce would be syned, but I saved a lot because I couldn't eat most of it as it was so dried up and hard round the edges even my knife couldn't cut it let alone the old tooth bite it. The salad was good and the slim line tonic brilliant, lemon slice could have done with being a little thicker but otherwise no complaints (liar!)
Talk about a disaster, it is my MIL 90th Birthday to day and some of the family took her out for what was to be a lovely lunch. We used a restaurant on a recommendation from a family friend (now public enemy no1) and went out to enjoy ourselves. Well out of 7 of us, not 1 had a meal that was eddible, should have worried when we were the only customers realy, but hey, go with the flow as they say. How sad that an old lady or 90 has a horrid meal on her special day, so concequently, afternoon been very flat!
Sorry, just having a moan.

Oh HOW disappointing! I would have complained! I'm getting rather good at complaining! :) I hope you didn't leave a tip!

We only left the table in a tip Judi lol.
It is awful though isn't it when the old girl is 90 and non of us go out very often because of shortage of funds, so today was a treat for all of us really, and disappointing. We did complain and had some knocked off the bill but not enough to suit me, but then I'm just a fire breathing dragon when needs must, and so I stepped in and we got another £5 deducted. Result!

Awww that sucks! It sounds like 'old' lasagna re-heated - fresh lasagna doesn't go hard. Euw! Sounds like somewhere to avoid - sorry you had a recommendation. Has the management changed recently? Your friends might not have known it would be so gross :-(

Sorry your day out was bad, especially given it was a rare treat and special occassion. And well done for moaning and getting some money off!

Hope next time you go out it's much nicer xxx

overcooked and overcharged by the sound of it - glad you complained and got a partial refund!

we had terrible service at a Harvester last night - simple things like no drinks being offered, stood waiting for over 5 mins to be spoken to, food came out a bit ill presented! now i know its only the harvester but a smile, and presentation is simple!!!

we all know really that food is best home cooked ;) xxx

Trouble with most eating places now is that its all frozen and microwaved foods. My son worked in a pub for a while that served food, similar to Harvester and apart from the fish and chips, everything was microwaved, or boil in the bag. And they have the nerve to charge around £8.99 for the privalage of eating this stuff.

Trouble with most eating places now is that its all frozen and microwaved foods.

And this is the very reason we avoid chain type pubs/restaurants these days.
I go to local pubs with home cooked food using local produce and they charge the same or less as the Brewer's Fayre/Harvester/Hungry Horse type places. It's a disgrace to be charged almost a tenner for a ready meal lasagne let's face it!

So sorry you had a disasterous meal CG but pleased you complained. I always do when things aren't right :mad:

Back