How to deal with trigger foods?

Lostris

Serena's title didn't fit
Hi,

Figured this fit here best. :) I noticed that as I'm doing the steps up I seem to have trouble with 'bad' foods that are lying around here at my parents house.. I don't really crave them, I just... have them sometimes?? It's very, very weird.. Anyone felt like this? >_<

Was wondering if anyone has a good idea on how to deal with it :)

Much appreciated ^_^

xx Lostris

I seem to have trouble with 'bad' foods that are lying around here at my parents house.. I just... have them sometimes??
xx Lostris

You and me both :8855:
Go on, confess, what are those 'bad' foods.???
Mine are my husband's can of lager, which i have to have the first swig from, but still resisting my own glass.
My kids have loads of cereal bars in stock in my kitchen, but i have had to buy some high protein Special K bars, just to keep my snacking carbs down.
Shocked though at how i am resisting so much stuff which i previously would have scoffed, without a thought.

Hi as I am home today - there is so much food around- I have been good and had a jacket pot with tuna and a banana... I have to keep telling my self - AM I Hungry... the answer is usually NO so I am resisting (only Just)

Good luck ladies...

Are you all keeping up with your water intake... I am finding it a little difficult.

Hiya,

My trigger foods are ... well. I;ll sketch the situation hahah. When we're drinking tea here, at home, at the TV in the evening a BIG HUUGE box of chocolates / cookies and nuts come on the table and everyone has tons! I have trouble resisting it sometimes and then I have some.. I feel bad, sometimes, and I feel okay (but weird) about it other times.

I should ask myself if I'm hungry more as I'd seriously be able to skip so much :'')

It does make you consider how much you'd have before. Now I may have a bit of choc but not 3 bars... Though I did have 5 cookies a while back... my excuse? They weren't big? ^_^;;;;;

It's confusing coz I'm not hungry but I still want some lol..

I'll admit to having trouble with my water intake!!

xxx

Hi as I am home today - there is so much food around- I have been good and had a jacket pot with tuna and a banana... I have to keep telling my self - AM I Hungry... the answer is usually NO so I am resisting (only Just)

Good luck ladies...

I keep doing this too and then questioning myself further if i'm not hungry and still wanting it!! not getting any answers so far ...mostly hearing in my head 'because I do' is not helping, but it is making me think about what i'm doing more than i used to!!

Two lines of thinking here.

When I was doing the plans up, trigger foods weren't an option. I was still in the diet mindset having decided that it finished when I was past the 1500 point.

Not saying I was perfect by any means, but I definitely treated everything outside the book as a 'cheat'. Not beating myself up or anything, but no different than being on SS.

Once I got to maintenance (BTW, I don't consider myself a CD maintainer at all)...just thought I'd add that ;) I used a variety of techniques

More in a mo.

More in a mo.

Actually, not sure there is more :D

Pretty tough with choc and nuts on the table! Sounds like you are dealing with it well!

Maybe you could take a little of what you want...sort of give yourself a limit before you start? Rather than dipping in? Easy to lose count of what you've had if you pick

Just an idea.

Actually, not sure there is more :D

Pretty tough with choc and nuts on the table! Sounds like you are dealing with it well!

Maybe you could take a little of what you want...sort of give yourself a limit before you start? Rather than dipping in? Easy to lose count of what you've had if you pick

Just an idea.

Thanks, that's good advice I can work with. I'm only at parents on weekends and vacations, during the week I'm at my studentplace where there's little temptation (unless I buy some (temptation, 5,99 a bag))

I guess what's confusing me is that there are no real guidelines for my steps up :S My CDC changed the ones from the book to suit me better but.. I'm confused about what I can and can't do. (Obviously, I know I can't have sweets and all yet!!)

So, just going to try my best to be good for the next 2-3 weeks I'm doing the last step up. Will be in studentplace for 10 days so I'll be good then ^_^

Other 11 days are either vacation or weekend.. *sighs*. ^_^

xx

The other thing I would add is that whilst asking yourself if you are hungry before you eat is always a good thing to do there are occasions when you just want something purely for the pleasure it brings. For example, it's a crisp, sunny winter morning and you want to go for a walk... not because you are unhappy, not because you want to escape from something but just because it's enjoyable and brings you pleasure. It can be the same with food and there is nothing wrong with just wanting something because you will enjoy it, the trick is to just have one or two and not ten or twenty!

xx

The other thing I would add is that whilst asking yourself if you are hungry before you eat is always a good thing to do there are occasions when you just want something purely for the pleasure it brings. For example, it's a crisp, sunny winter morning and you want to go for a walk... not because you are unhappy, not because you want to escape from something but just because it's enjoyable and brings you pleasure. It can be the same with food and there is nothing wrong with just wanting something because you will enjoy it, the trick is to just have one or two and not ten or twenty!

xx

I guess that does sounds reasonable. Former me would've seriously pigged out by now, I haven't really done that yet so guessing that's good.

Just want the steps to be easier, and more clear so I won't end up having bad stuff when it's thrown in my face. (I had NO problems, ok.. well a little, with those foods when I was on CD SS)
:sigh:

(I had NO problems, ok.. well a little, with those foods when I was on CD SS)
:sigh:

For me it was a lot to do with conditioned response.

For example. I have 3 very good friends.

Friend x smokes, and I smoke with her
Friend y doesn't smoke, but always puts out a plate of biscuits with our coffee. I have only ever had one in her company
Friend z neither smokes nor offers biccies :D

I go to x's house and the moment I walk in the door, I want a ciggie.

I go to y's house and I'm not thinking ciggies....but can't wait until the biscuits come out.

I go to z's house and I'm not thinking biccies or cigs.

Once leaving y or z house, I get an overwhelming urge for a ciggie, yet I hardly notice a craving whilst I'm there.

though I happily ate one biscuit at y's house, I found it almost impossible to just eat one when alone in the house with a packet by my side and always ate loads.

So, if all the conditions were right I would act on what I had always done in those conditions.

That is why I found it difficult going up the steps. The conditions changed from SS and became more like they were pre-diet.

The only way I could sort it was to change the condition a little and practice making one biscuit = one biscuit. Practising making healthy habits and all that.

I had to stop my brain making the connection of 'this' = overeating. Obviously, the more perfect practice you put in, the better you get at it. Keep practising it wrong, and you'll get good at that too :D

Hahah, thanks.

I guess my weekends are full of triggers here. :) It was always a custom to have something from the big box of treats, and usually it'd be more than one something. (Gosh, my dad could eat 500gram of this big special cookiething we have here during christmas period.. called Speculaas).

I really, REALLY, notice now how much treats my sisters have. They have very unhealthy snacks at least 4 x a day. How the hell do they stay skinny? LOL. Okay, but that's not really relevant at the mo...

I understand what you're saying, think I'm like that...

At studentplace I can quite easily refuse everything and they won't offer me a lot things coz I know I'm on a diet. As said before the only treats there are the ones I buy for myself. If I only buy fruit, there's only fruit. If I buy bags of crips and chocs it'll be there... but... I'm not in the habit of buying tons of bad foods and binging on them. I know that may sound silly but while having so much trouble doing these steps up I haven't once had a badfoodbinge at my studentplace.. I didn't even buy bad food :D So, that's good for me. :)

I guess deciding I can have one of x item would be good. I'd have to scope out ''THE BOX'' beforehand though :D I don't want to pick on the spot coz I doubt I'd trust myself :')

HAhaha @ practising it wrong :D Will do my best to do it perfectly. Will be at studentplace 5 days this week so will be good on those days. ^_^

Will be trying to be very good this weekend (should work as I'm sick as a dog, and when sick I really don't crave food.... at all.)

x

Hi All- There is some great advice on here. Thanks ALL - I have just made a chicken curry - I am going to have a little as I know that I ahve not put anything bad in it. I love to cook and doing this diet I have changed all my cooking habits as well as eating... my husband has lost a load of weight just eating my food now. Hope you are all having a great weekend

I'm just bumping this old thread, I read it yesterday and found the tips very useful so though other newbies like me might like to read it.

Jan
x

Back