How to lose weight eating low carb and keto

AliGal

Eating meat
Last edited:
I'm on the Diet Doctor 5 week keto challenge and this advice on challenging misconceptions about low carb was in today's post - hope you find it interesting (sorry it's long, can't post a link because it was in an email) -

"I’d lost over 100 pounds (45 kilos) and was wearing clothes smaller than I’d worn in my life. My labs were perfect; I felt amazing and needed no more medications. Yes, that fat WAS going to kill me. That fat on my body that I’d shed after eating low-carb, high-fat was dangerous. But I was not afraid of the fat that I was now eating. That fat on my plate was saving my life.

"In spite of my obviously better health, well-meaning others questioned my new eating habits. In particular, they questioned the high-fat portion of my diet since conventional wisdom teaches us that fat is ‘bad’, especially saturated fat.

"When looking at my breakfast of 5 or 6 pieces of bacon, a former boss said, “We might need that new defibrillator right here this morning.” Another supervisor once said, “you’ve done well, but any diet that eliminates entire food groups isn’t safe.” My question about which food group I’d eliminated went unanswered.

"Even my physician, after two solid years of weight loss and maintenance, improved health markers, and eliminated medications, continued to ask whether this was something I could sustain long-term. I had been his patient for over a decade previously and had been morbidly obese the entire time I’d been his patient.

"My husband was also his patient, and he no longer had high blood pressure medications and had improved all labs. This doctor saw our health dramatically improve, yet he still questioned how we ate.

"The well-meaning others might ask, “Are you eating enough?” when they saw my smaller portions or noticed that I didn’t eat every time food was served. One said, “You look great, but just make sure you’re being healthy about your weight loss!” I even heard the well-intended “wisdom,” “Don’t lose too much weight. Your skin will get saggy and you’ll have more wrinkles on your face.”

"I had to wonder where these concerned people had been all my life! When I weighed over 268 pounds (122 kilos) and couldn’t walk more than a few hundred yards without pain, not one of them ever asked, “Should you really be eating more chocolate oreo cheesecake?” No one ever took me aside to suggest that morbid obesity was taking years off my life.

"So why, when I was finally winning the battle of the bulge, did others break their silence to express concern? I suspect it’s as simple as misinformation."

I love dietdoctor.com Dr Eenfeldt and Fung explain stuff really well.

Interesting to think that our bodies need to heal:

Here's a useful recipe thread.https://www.minimins.com/threads/keto-recipes.363242/

To some extent, the distinction between “ketogenic” and “low-carb, high-fat” is negligible. Any diet low enough in carbohydrate to be meaningful is going to be ketogenic.

The point to remember is that your carbohydrate threshold is unique. Some of us can tolerate more carbohydrate (by weight) than others. The 20 g/day limit promoted on these forums is low enough that practically everyone, except people who are severely metabolically damaged, can get into ketosis at that level. Carbohydrates are, for the most part, nothing more than strings of glucose molecules, which get severed in the digestive tract and sent, via the portal vein, as glucose to the liver to be managed. Glucose above a certain amount needs to be removed from the blood stream, to prevent the damage that hyperglycaemia can cause. The rise in serum glucose causes the pancreas to secrete insulin, which drives the excess glucose into muscles to be metabolised and into adipose tissue to be stored as fat.

Unless you eat below your carbohydrate threshold, your serum insulin is going to remain elevated, preventing fat from leaving the adipose tissue to be metabolised. If 100 g/day of carbohydrate keeps you out of ketosis, then you are not going to experience the benefits of a low-carb keto diet, such as reversal of Type II diabetes and reduction in stored fat.

It has been demonstrated using radio-labeled food that it is the carbohydrate we eat that ends up as fat in the adipose tissue. The fat we eat, especially the monounsaturated fat, gets metabolised. This is the reason we stress replacing the carbohydrate you have eliminated from your diet with eating fat to satiety. Fat is more calorie-dense than carbohydrate, so it takes less to satisfy us, and it also has the benefit of barely stimulating insulin at all (just enough to keep us alive). This makes it a “safe” source of calories, especially from the point of view of fat loss. It has been demonstrated that eating to satiety on a well-formulated ketogenic diet promotes the proper functioning of the appetite hormones, making the appetite a reliable guide to how much food to eat. People with excess fat to lose who eat a ketogenic diet to satiety find their appetite naturally regulating their food intake to a level that lets the body metabolise both the fat they eat and the excess stored fat that the body does not need. In fact, it has been shown that people can eat a considerably higher calorie count than they actually need, and the body will respond by ramping up the metabolism, creating waste heat, dumping calories in urine, etc. Conversely, eating too little food causes the body to lower the metabolism and shut down non-essential functions (such as hair and nail growth, and the reproductive system) until the famine is over, and food is once more abundant.

I didn't believe in all these diets at all, but more and more often I see that they really help. What are your results now? I'm just beginning my journey, and honestly, I don't believe it's going to work yet.

Back