How to stick to diets and keep the weight off?

leahtoff

When I was 15, I was 2 stone over weight, which began to bother me...so after abit of research, I decided to go on a 1300 calorie diet, eating low fat foods only. After a few months, I'd lost over 2 stone, but then I started to get bored of the diet and went back to my old ways...eating crisps and chocolate whenever I was bored, ordering take aways all the time. Soon after that I was 2 stone heavier again. Then I got annoyed with myself, went on a low fat, calorie controlled diet and lost the weight... then I put it back on again, ect, ect... this is how my life has been since aged 15. I'm 20 now. I go through phases of wanted to be slim and healthy (I'm going through one now!) but then after a few months I get bored, and have no interest in losing weight, then I put it back on again. It's really annoying. I tried the GI diet last summer, lost about a stone, then decided to not bother anymore and put all the weight back on. Now I'm in the process of losing it, and at the moment, it's easy because I really want to, but I know that in a couple of months I'll soon get bored and won't bother with eating healthily, even if I tell myself I should. Sorry if this makes no sense. What I want to know is...is there a diet which is easiest to stick too? I'm not on any specific diet.. just eating around 1400 cals per day and doing alot more speed walking than normal.

I cc but its sounds as if that's not really for you. You need a life style change for good. Why not try the juddd diet or slimming world? When I reach target, I'm going to following one of those to keep my at target x

Currently 14st 13.7lbs

This is what I mean...after I posted that, I was on a strict diet til 5th Feb, then lost focus and I've been eating crap for a month! Now I'm annoyed and really want to lose weight again. As of tomorrow, I'm going to be eating healthily. I don't know how long it will last though... right now, I want it to last forever but I know in a few weeks I'll start to think what's the point...it goes on and on :(

I know that story well! Been there and done it for years!! Tried and got bored of multiple diets :/
Now I do slimming world & love it! It's not a diet but a plan for life & the support has been amazing!
I never feel hungry or bad about treating myself, it really is changing my life.

I honestly know how you feel but please make the right changes now so you don't end up 10 years down the line like me!!

I know I've gushed about SW but there are other groups out there you might be more suited too, SW works for me as it is all about a plan and lifestyle too not about counting calories and restrictions and I like that.
Have a read up online & whatever you decide to do just don't let those days where you over eat turn into weeks, just suck it up & move straight on dont let it snowball.

Good luck & if you need any more info/advice or just a chat get in touch :) x

Im in the exact same position.
I lost a lot of weight with SW and then put it back on, I then felt guilty and ate more :(
Now im starting again and whats keeping me going is that amazing feeling of fitting into new jeans or feeling healthy instead of sluggish.

Try not too look at the oh ive slipped and eaten rubbish no point in the diet. More a oh ive slipped need to get back on track.

It's good to know that i'm not alone in the "when i'm good i'm very very good, but when i'm bad i'm horrid" style of eating habits.

What plan did you decide to follow & how are you getting on??

Sticking to a diet over time is the hardest thing, I find. I have tried literally every diet and I find I can stick to it for a month or so. Then I stop. Then I regain weight, and eat more because "I'm off my diet at the moment". The cycle has seen me go up to 17 stone. :( I have realised that sticking to a diet (any diet) is more important than the actual diet. You have to do what works for you, and stick to it (the really hard bit!).

I am trying a new more relaxed and fun approach - constantly escalating the amount of effort I put into diet and exercise, rather than going all out for the first few weeks. That way I hope to sustain it over a long period of time and really learn good habits.

I'm starting with making sure two meals a day are "good" and tracking my activity with a pedometer.

And I've accepted that I have to stick to a diet for a year, losing a couple of pounds a week.

I really want to break the cycle this time.

I have been a yoyo dieter and got myself to this weight :( I used to CC too.I have just started slimming world this week and i think its something that will fir into my life style, lots of healthy free fruits and veggies and then cooking family meals, which I like to do. Ok its early days, but i had to start somewhere.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

xxx

I too find myself in a horrible cycle of sticking to plan then not sticking to it, then getting bored and falling off the wagon completely, now I have no motivation and am finding it hard.... I was paying for slimming world for ages with no motivation till I stopped going, now I weigh on weekly with my friend and her mum, but I am now feeling really crap and woe hug more then I did when I started SW last year :(

I completely agree that the only way to lose weight and keep it off is to ditch the diet and change your lifestyle for good!

I have been following paleo/primal for the last couple of months, I have so far lost just over 2st and havent counted a single calorie and the best thing is that I no longer crave junk food.
Its all about eating real food and ditching all the processed stuff, the first few weeks can be hard as you adjust but after that you just dont want the sugar/crisps/junk
I have yoyed all my life going as far as losing 7.5 st and then piling it back on but I know this time that once I get to goal I will stay there.

No diet will ever work if you go back to your old habits x

The best thing you can do is to change your eating habits on long term. Start by making small changes - replace white bread with whole bread, reduce your salt intake, and eat less carbs. Diets are not a long term solution.

I completely agree that the only way to lose weight and keep it off is to ditch the diet and change your lifestyle for good!

I have been following paleo/primal for the last couple of months, I have so far lost just over 2st and havent counted a single calorie and the best thing is that I no longer crave junk food.
Its all about eating real food and ditching all the processed stuff, the first few weeks can be hard as you adjust but after that you just dont want the sugar/crisps/junk
I have yoyed all my life going as far as losing 7.5 st and then piling it back on but I know this time that once I get to goal I will stay there.

No diet will ever work if you go back to your old habits x

Totally agree, diet's have been hammered into us , that's what we should be doing.. but you aren't going to be on a diet until you retire? change some habits and your body will readjust.

Remember, we all have a natural size we are supposed to be if we ate normally and no crap. The trouble is, people go on a diet and try and force their body to go back to how natural sees us to be, whereas if you just cut out things you know are bad, cakes, biscuits and crisps then your body will natually go back down to the size you are supposed to be. I still eat scott eggs, bread, chicken kebabs ( i dont have the pitta as enough carbs in the salad with it) so fill yourself up with protein and have greek yogurt and fruit , like blueberries and it takes the craving for sugar away.

Eat anything with processed sugar in it and your body uses the sugar for energy and stores the fat.. people dont realise but the insulin in your naturally promotes fat storage. Fat doesnt make you fat, eat enough chicken a day and you get will get fat. People just eat fat along with sugar food so it get stored.

Do some cardio a few times a week, weights twice a week (for men and! women) and you will start to feel toned up, you wont want to feel wobbly and will make you stay away from sugar which is a drug in itself

Robbie

What you need is a life change. A diet is a short term way to lose weight. A life change is something you will do forever. So, no matter what diet you do, you will always see it is a diet, and try and go back to "normal" afterwards (hense why you always put the weight back on). The only way you will succeed this is to see it as something you need to do forever. Cal counting is the best because it is like a life change and its something you can do forever. Good luck

Back