How to stop chopped up fruit going brown?

big bear

A bear on a mission!
I like to make a large bowl of fruit salad & leave it in the fridge to have as & when.

Obviously the apples/pears etc go brown, is there anything I can put on it to stop it going brown?

Will an airtight tub help?

my friend sends her little one to school with a chopped up apple and she says a dash/squirt of lemon juice over it stops it.
never tried it myself.

defintely some lemon juice :)

or orange juice.. any citrus should do as it's the Vitamin C that stops it going brown..
I think that the current mag says something about storing peeled celeriac with a squeeze of lemon over it to stop it browning..

When I do salads for packup the night before, I put chopped apple in and they don't go brown at all (which surprised me the first time I did it!), so an airtight tub may work!

Thanks lovely peeps, I'll try an airtight container first as I've no lemons at the moment. X

Hi B.B. lemon juice works well. I mix lemon juice with a bit of slimline tonic and use that as a juice for the fruit. It is delicious and takes the acidity off the lemon.

hugs xxx

Hi B.B. lemon juice works well. I mix lemon juice with a bit of slimline tonic and use that as a juice for the fruit. It is delicious and takes the acidity off the lemon.

hugs xxx

Excellent idea - thank you! I'm going to try this tomorrow x

When I make fruit salad I use diet 7up and it seems to work just fine, so if you don't like the flavour of the lemon juice try a diet lemonade of some sort.

Back