Huge gain and don't know why

mandy296

Silver Member
Hi there, newbie here after some advice.

I've been doing slimming world since early feb and so far lost over 2 stone.

However, last week i would have been saying nearly 2 1/2 stone, but for some reason I had a huge gain this week, and I cant for the life of me figure out why.

Last week, I had a half pound gain - after 20+ weeks of slimming world without a single gain, I thought fair enough, its probably about time and didnt give it a second thought.

last night's weigh in - 3 1/2 pound gain!!!! There is no way I can pin down why that happened!. I haven't had a bad or naughty week - meals at home no different than usual, one meal out - which was at Tampopo - an asian restaurant chain - and I ate lean beef steak salad! A few glasses of wine/bacardi and diet cokes, but no more than any other weekend. And I had even stepped up to level 2 of the 30 day shred DVD.

I know it cant be exercise - if anything I was hoping that upping the DVD exercise level would improve my weight loss. As far as I can tell, that whole "muscle weighs more than fat" thing is a bit misleading at this sort of level - while you still have excess fat to lose, the weight lost through fat burn will offset any increase through muscle build - its only when you get to supreme athelete level that it results in a net gain.

I'm just hoping its some sort of hormonal/body strangeness thing and its some weird blip. I'm on the mini-pill and dont have periods, so its not obviously a time of the month thing, although internally you dont know what might be happening. Besides, if there was a menstrual linked pattern surely there would have been a similar blip in preceeding months?

The other variable perhaps may be clothes - a few weeks ago I had a 5lb loss and was wearing shorts and flip-flops (i've never removed shoes to be weighed) - last night I was wearing jeans and shoes.

Anyone know how much an average pair of jeans weighs??
lol.gif

Seriously though - has anyone ever had a huge blip that they couldnt explain? Did it reverse itself the following week (really hope it does and then some - its disheartening to find yourself back at the level you were 3 weeks ago when you've been used to losing or at least maintaining every week)

I think most people have been here at some point. I am so sad for you but don't be disheartened. Just carry on as normal. It could well be your clothes. I always try to wear the same clothes to weigh in each week. Also even just having a glass of water before weigh in can make a difference. Keep up the good work and refuse to get down about it. Your weight loss is terriffic so far. xx

Think I'm going to stick with wearing jeans - I'm more likely to wear them than not - so will struggle in even when its blazing sunshine and 30 degrees! As my group is shortly moving to a new venue, thats a 15 minute walk up a big hill rather than 2 mins down the road I may well live to regret that. But to go the other way, and stick with lighter clothes would be worse I think - really dont fancy walking to group wearing a summer dress and flip flop in the middle of winter!
Another thing i read on a different thread is that your body retains more water after exercising - I did my work out DVD about an hour before weigh-in so perhaps that made a difference - thats not something I necessarily always do before group.

I really cant wait for next week to see how this all ends up - another gain, STS or even a small loss will really worry me.

Firstly STOP PANICKING!! lol
Ok, so make sure you wear the same clothes EVERYTIME you get weighed. Jeans (depending on size and make) can add between 1 and 3 lbs. Make sure you get weighed at the same time every week - weighing yourself in the morning one week and then in the evening another will give you a false reading.
Make sure you're drinking enough water, as if you're not drinking enough, especially in the hot weather, your body will hold onto it and it makes a huge difference if you're retaining water.
When i was going to the gym on a regular basis i was losing inches rather than pounds so try measuring yourself once a month and going on those results as well as your weight. You might find that you're losing inches instead.
You've been on SW for a while. Have you subconsciously started eating less in order to boost your weight loss? Because that tend to have the opposite effect........
Thats all i can think of. Hope you have a good weigh in this week though. *hugs*

Weigh in is tomorrow and I'm sticking with the jeans from now on - no point wearing something lighter this week and fooling myself. Weighed them on my kitchen scales and they only weigh 1 1/2lbs anyway. Been reading the fishy thread with interest and I've done a half week of fishiness to see how that goes.

But what was really lovely - got a card through the post from my consultant, basically saying keep the faith, you can do it etc which I thought was a really nice touch.

Hey :)
I echo what other people have said. Jeans can make a big difference, as can what you eat / drink / do before weigh in. It is disheartening to get on the scales and see a gain (and I'm not so calm when it's me) but really when you know you've stuck to it, it can only be a blip. I think you're sensible sticking to Jeans. I switched to long top and leggings one week and now am kicking myself as I still want a good loss but don't want to freeze, lol.
I've put on 5lb before, for NO obvious reason which has then gone the following week. Then I lost 6lb on holiday when I know I'd not been sticking to the plan. I really think our bodies don't always show what we've done that week, particularly us ladies!
That's really nice of your consultant - it does make a difference doesn't it? Sounds like you've done great though and not let it get you down too much. Good luck with weigh in, and let us know how you get on x

Back