Hunger associated with food smells

Discussion in 'Lighter Life Forum' started by jcjazzy, 12 April 2009 Social URL.

1. jcjazzy

jcjazzy Silver Member

Goal Weight:
    11st0lb
    Diet:
    Cambridge Diet
    Happy Easter everyone, I have been struggling a wee bit with hunger over the last few days.I have not cheated and am mid-way through week 5.I think it is because I have been cooking some of my favourite things for the family,and the aromas are getting to me.Has anyone else experienced this?Up until this point I have cooked at weekends without any great difficulty and Hubby cooks during the week.

2. Avatar

MiniMins.com Matched Content

3. X~Libby~X

X~Libby~X Full Member

Start Weight:
    15st11lb
    Current Weight:
    12st7lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st7lb
    Lost(%):
    3st4lb(20.81%)
    Diet:
    Lighter Life
    Hi jcjazzy...don't worry, you're not alone. I frequently have moments when the smell of food has me salivating. I even found myself doing it today while the family were tucking into a roast. The ridiculous thing is that their plates were laden with food that I couldn't eat anyway. I'm vegetarian and it was all cooked with animal fat. Then again meat gets me as well where as before the smell/thought was nausiating. I just have to keep reminding myself of the greater good and remove myself if it gets too bad. I have found that I prefer to sit with everyone while they eat as I can still benefit from the social aspect!

x

4. daisydoll

daisydoll Gold Member

Start Weight:
    12st6lb
    Current Weight:
    10st8lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st7lb
    Lost(%):
    1st12lb(14.94%)
    Diet:
    was LL now diet chef
    hi there
    we had a party yesterday and i cooked 3 dishes for it - was strange not being able to taste things which were going out for 'public' consumption! i was a bit worried they would taste awful but apparently they were really good!

i did find myself relying on my sense of smell when cooking them - it is really heightened at the moment.

i'm not really craving stuff tho, smelling and cooking seems to satisfy my needs! - i hope that lasts after LL!

i'm veggie too libby - and its strange how meat is smelling ok and i can cook with it too, i used to avoid it completely. I think maybe its a way of protecting myself from eating stuff by cooking it for others?

daisy x

5. thin_inside

thin_inside I Can Do This!

Start Weight:
    18st12lb
    Current Weight:
    12st9lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st6lb
    Lost(%):
    6st3lb(32.95%)
    Diet:
    LighterLife
    Yep - smells are very, very enticing. I have had a few days off with the kids on holidays last week and have struggled with hunger pangs a lot of the time. I guess I have done more food shopping, cooking etc than normal plus there's all the 'easter treats' everywhere just now. I have found myself eating my packs a bit earlier to try and avoid the temptations, but then headed for bed or jumped on the laptop to avoid the late evening urges.

I guess it's all stuff we'll need to deal with when reintroducing foods. I took the kids to the park yesterday and roast dinner and BBQ smells were everywhere.....

6. jcjazzy

jcjazzy Silver Member

Goal Weight:
    11st0lb
    Diet:
    Cambridge Diet
    Thanks girls.Sounds like I'm not alone then!! I was beginning to think I was unusual :D x

7. Poppysparkle

Poppysparkle Silver Member

Start Weight:
    16st5lb
    Current Weight:
    12st13lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st0lb
    Lost(%):
    3st6lb(20.96%)
    Diet:
    Cambridge SS
    I often love to smell the food and I then don't need to taste it. Kids had stuff while we were out yesterday, and without mentioning the actual food stuff involved, one good sniff and I was fine again and didn't need to pop one in my mouth!

I definitely still have the addictive desire that LS refers to - I am letting myself have quite a bit something that is unlimited in RTM, but I'm eating it also when I'm not hungry but when I desire something. While it's safe to be eating this food, I'm still going to address this issue and try to just have it when I'm physically hungry.

Popular Forums
  1. MiniMins.com is a weight loss support community helping each other on their weight loss journey. We have a multitude of forums, from Slimming World and Exante, to Success Stories. Click the logo at the top right to return to the forum home page at any time.