Hunger associated with food smells

jcjazzy

Silver Member
Happy Easter everyone, I have been struggling a wee bit with hunger over the last few days.I have not cheated and am mid-way through week 5.I think it is because I have been cooking some of my favourite things for the family,and the aromas are getting to me.Has anyone else experienced this?Up until this point I have cooked at weekends without any great difficulty and Hubby cooks during the week.

Hi jcjazzy...don't worry, you're not alone. I frequently have moments when the smell of food has me salivating. I even found myself doing it today while the family were tucking into a roast. The ridiculous thing is that their plates were laden with food that I couldn't eat anyway. I'm vegetarian and it was all cooked with animal fat. Then again meat gets me as well where as before the smell/thought was nausiating. I just have to keep reminding myself of the greater good and remove myself if it gets too bad. I have found that I prefer to sit with everyone while they eat as I can still benefit from the social aspect!

x

hi there
we had a party yesterday and i cooked 3 dishes for it - was strange not being able to taste things which were going out for 'public' consumption! i was a bit worried they would taste awful but apparently they were really good!

i did find myself relying on my sense of smell when cooking them - it is really heightened at the moment.

i'm not really craving stuff tho, smelling and cooking seems to satisfy my needs! - i hope that lasts after LL!

i'm veggie too libby - and its strange how meat is smelling ok and i can cook with it too, i used to avoid it completely. I think maybe its a way of protecting myself from eating stuff by cooking it for others?

daisy x

Yep - smells are very, very enticing. I have had a few days off with the kids on holidays last week and have struggled with hunger pangs a lot of the time. I guess I have done more food shopping, cooking etc than normal plus there's all the 'easter treats' everywhere just now. I have found myself eating my packs a bit earlier to try and avoid the temptations, but then headed for bed or jumped on the laptop to avoid the late evening urges.

I guess it's all stuff we'll need to deal with when reintroducing foods. I took the kids to the park yesterday and roast dinner and BBQ smells were everywhere.....

I often love to smell the food and I then don't need to taste it. Kids had stuff while we were out yesterday, and without mentioning the actual food stuff involved, one good sniff and I was fine again and didn't need to pop one in my mouth!

I definitely still have the addictive desire that LS refers to - I am letting myself have quite a bit something that is unlimited in RTM, but I'm eating it also when I'm not hungry but when I desire something. While it's safe to be eating this food, I'm still going to address this issue and try to just have it when I'm physically hungry.

Back