Hypothyroid and slimming!

jane123

Silver Member
Has anyone any advice? I've found it very difficult to lose weight over the years and have just been diagnosed hypothyroid. I'm lucky if I lose anything at all!

Anyway I'm giving slimming world a go. Everyone else seems to lose 2 to 3 lb whereas I'm lucky if I lose 1.

Anyone else hypothyroid on slimming world? I'd like to know how you are doing.

Jane x

Yeah I dont have a thyroid at all as I had it removed when they found a tumour in it. Once you're on the right dosage of thyroxine you'll be fine, theres no reason whatsoever you cant lose weight now they know about your thyroid problem and can dose you accordingly :) Theres quite a lot of hypothyroids on this board from what I remember.

Ive lost 7st 8.5lb so far so it can definitely be done! :)

Wow! Well done! There is hope for me after all :)

Jane x

Hi there. Once they get your dosage right you will be able to lose weight....just don't expect to be losing it like other people. I've come to a bit of a standstill at the moment with mine but I do have PCOS too which I think is hindering my losses. Sorry my story isn't a happier one :-(

Good luck. x

Good luck hun, don't have any advice but seems as though others have done it, so fingers crossed for you xxxx

Yeah I have an underactive thyroid too. Like the other posters have said once your on the right dose of thyroxine you should not have a problem. I find Slimming World great because I'm actually eating properly (as opposed to starving myself). When I've tried other more restrictive diets my metabolism seemed to grind to a halt and I would lose hardly anything. I'm still a slowish loser but I have 2stone gone since the end of June 2011. Hope this helps and good luck

I have an underactive thyroid too, but as long as you are on the right dose of thyroxine you shouldn't have any problems at all. I have lost 6st 6lbs and have never noticed anything while on the right dose. Gud luck hunx

Thanks so much for your replies. So many of you have lost loads:). Truly inspirational.

Even if I only lose 3 or 4 lb per month, over a year that's around 40 lb. That would be fantastic.

How do I thank you all? I'm new to these boards and have not found my way around yet! :rolleyes:

Jane

Hi Jane, this might just be me but I'm pretty rubbish at remembering to take the levothyroxin in the morning before breakfast like ur meant to but on the weeks I do take it in the morning regularly I find I have loses, the weeks I don't I stay the same. Maybe it's just a coincidence?! If u get stuck or disheartened come on here and read as there's lots of support!! I nearly gave up on week 3 (I've just started week 6) as I had 2 stay the same weeks in a row even though I exercise 4-6 times a week and stuck to plan, but I started a food diary and listened to ppls advice and then week after I lost 2lbs :) I thought as soon as I took levothyroxin the weight would melt away, how wrong! Its as much as an effort as everyone has to put in I'm afraid! But it does work and u will get there just persevere :) also measure ur self seems to be a good idea as lots of ppl lose inches quicker instead of pounds!! good luck!!! x

I have auto immune disease and part of that is an under active thyroid. I'm on 125mgs leththyroxine a day. My first weigh in was last week and I lost a pound and a half and I was very disheartened at the time. Then I realised it was still a loss and its great..... I do appreciate its going to be slower for those with a thyroid problem. Am going to see how I do this week. If my weight loss doesn't pick up in the next few weeks though am thinking of getting my levels checked to be on the safe side and to rule it out as a problem....might be worth doing the same.

I too have an under-active thyroid and I take 150mgs Levothyroxine per day. My losses have been between 1-2 lbs per week although I have had one loss of 5lbs and one of 4lbs so it's all good. ;)

Just stick to the Plan, take your medication and you will see the losses. Personally, I'm fine with small losses as it's giving me a chance to get used to a new healthier way of eating. Secondly, I didn't get to the weight I was overnight so it's not going to come off overnight either and don't forget....a loss is a loss is a loss...can't be bad if it's coming off in the right direction. :D

Good luck with your weight loss journey. Glad to have you aboard!! :)

Hi! I have an underactive thyroid and take 175mg a day. So far I have lost 6 1/2 stones! Keep going. Every loss will get you closer to your target!

Beinthechange
I have an autominume problem with rheumatoid arthritis. Whilst my thyroid levels have never been too low on testing I do wonder if this does have in impact because as over the last 20 years my weight has increased from 13 stone to 18. But it could be the lessening activity due to stiff joints, but when i stick to SW this weight loss can be sporadic.

Last edited:
Everyone seems to be doing really well so now I have confidence I will too :). Thanks :)

I lost 2lb the first week at slimming world and 2lb the week before by following the recipes in the sw magazine. This week I had to miss as I'm stopping in a hotel in the wilds of Norfolk. I've been good though. Cereal for breccy, 0 fat yog and fruit. Fruit for lunch and either meat or fish with new potatoes and veg for evening meal. No sauces, oils, gravy or butter. No deserts just coffee. Oh yes, and one small glass of wine or one Bacardi and diet coke each night which I syn. If I havn't lost weight next week I'll go bonkers:mad:

By the inch it's a cinch and by the yard it's hard!

Thanks again for you morale boosting posts.

Jane x

My thyroid works, but only 40% of what it should and they won't give me medication because they say by rights, i'm still classed as having a working thyroid.
What it means, is i still have some of the symptoms & my weight loss is slow.... but its still coming off (even if ony 0.5lb a weeks) x

My thyroid works, but only 40% of what it should and they won't give me medication because they say by rights, i'm still classed as having a working thyroid.

As long as your levels are within the normal range you dont need medication to bring it to the normal range.
Giving thyroxine to someone who already has normal values could take them *over* the normal values and then you would be hyperthyroid which isn't good either. :)

You dont need your thyroid to work at full capacity to get enough thyroxine :)

Slimbysummer said:
What it means, is i still have some of the symptoms & my weight loss is slow.... but its still coming off (even if ony 0.5lb a weeks) x

Try taking kelp tablets from
Holland and barretts, it really helped me before I was on levothyroxin and it is known to help those with low thyroxin levels :) x

Hi slimbysummer

If you tsh is within reference range (or indeed up to 10) you dr will not medicate. If it is within range (usually about 0.3 to 6 in the uk) but above 4 I would argue for a trial of medication, especially with your thyroid not working fully. Why keep struggling. In many countries the ref range is much lower than the uk and people are treated with a tsh higher than 3.

I'm no expert but if it's not working properly you must feel dreadful!

Jane x

jane123 said:
Hi slimbysummer

If you tsh is within reference range (or indeed up to 10) you dr will not medicate. If it is within range (usually about 0.3 to 6 in the uk) but above 4 I would argue for a trial of medication, especially with your thyroid not working fully. Why keep struggling. In many countries the ref range is much lower than the uk and people are treated with a tsh higher than 3.

I'm no expert but if it's not working properly you must feel dreadful!

Jane x

Yes, the references ranges vary massively from area to area, where I am in Germany out tsh range is 0.27-2.50 with 2.51-4.20 being questionable.

It also depends on the reason for your hypothyroidism though, as there are various causes which will have differing effects on T3, T4 and TSH and they are not all to do with the thyroid itself, its noit clear from the OPs post what the underlying issue is in her/his case.

However, if you don't feel well and are having symptoms you should definitely speak to your doctor about it. :)

Back