Hypothyroid and slimming!

jane123 said:
Phew! My worries re endo were unfounded. He's upped my levothyroxine and told me what vitamin d to take plus ordered a load more tests. I'm very happy :eek:

According to the net having a good level of vitamin d can aid weight loss. I hope so :D

Interesting. There's SO much written about hypothyroid and its so confusing. It often contradicts too. I seem to have settled at levothyroxine 150mg - what are you taking? Apparently they have to sort the meds slowly so that your body doesn't get too shocked! You do need to have it checked regularly. I will def look into vit d. I have my iron checked alot. What vit d did he say?

Interesting. There's SO much written about hypothyroid and its so confusing. It often contradicts too. I seem to have settled at levothyroxine 150mg - what are you taking? Apparently they have to sort the meds slowly so that your body doesn't get too shocked! You do need to have it checked regularly. I will def look into vit d. I have my iron checked alot. What vit d did he say?

I'm only just going onto 50 mg. I had to start low because I had a heart attack last year. So I'm happy with slow and steady. The endo is writing to my GP to tell him to check my tsh every 8 weeks and up my levothyroxine as necessary until my level is well below 2. He thinks below 1 might be too low given my mild to moderate heart damage. I'll see about that when I get there.

As for vit d he advised an over the counter one at 20 mg per day. It'll take about 6 months to get to the level I should be. Again, I'm going to discuss this with my GP as my levels are very low and I'd like to see a faster increase. I'm also having calcium checked because low vit d stops calcium absorption. My endo is also asking for a celiac test as that might be stopping absorption of nutrients.

Many hypothyroid people are celiacs as well.

It all gets a bit complicated at times. I would definitely ask for vit d to be checked as many people in the uk are very low due to lack of sunlight. Diet alone is not enough to give sufficient vit d.

Mine is 21 ref range 30-100 and I've just had a month in the sun of India so it was probably nearer to zero!

You are welcome to ask me any other questions you have. I'm by no means an expert though:eek:

Thanks for posting Jane and hope you feel better soon x

I have had my thyroid blood test today, results in a few days and a full blood count too. I have never seen an endo but am feeling much better at 125 mg. Never realised that I could be low in vit D - am looking particularly pale at mo and considering a good multi vitamin.

I am currently off sick at mo with work related stress/depression and need to get on top of everything and back to normal.

Good luck everyone xx

Thanks for posting Jane and hope you feel better soon x

I have had my thyroid blood test today, results in a few days and a full blood count too. I have never seen an endo but am feeling much better at 125 mg. Never realised that I could be low in vit D - am looking particularly pale at mo and considering a good multi vitamin.

I am currently off sick at mo with work related stress/depression and need to get on top of everything and back to normal.

Good luck everyone xx

Hi dextersmum. You do know depression is often linked to hypothyroidism. Vitamin d can be overdosed on so it's worth getting it tested. This is place do tests City Assays Vitamin D Blood Spot Test and if I want a retest I'll be using them. Might be worth you looking at it.

Hope you are feeling better soon too :) xx

Thanks Jane.......will wait for my blood results to see how they are and probably do this test too. I knew depression and hypothyroidism were linked and am starting to feel a lot better. Never thought I would ever have depression but have had a couple of difficult years and work is very stressful at the mo - am dreading going back!
Thanks for the information xx

Thanks Jane.......will wait for my blood results to see how they are and probably do this test too. I knew depression and hypothyroidism were linked and am starting to feel a lot better. Never thought I would ever have depression but have had a couple of difficult years and work is very stressful at the mo - am dreading going back!
Thanks for the information xx

That's how I know when my thyroid is not functioning right and the meds aren't working - I feel very depressed, low, down (under) and completely exhausted. So the depression is more than likely linked. I am unable to cope with anything when I'm like that and get very stressed very easily and feel like everything is awful and out of control. I now understand the term 'the blues'; everything is just...dark. :raincloud:

When I feel well (thyroid functioning right) stress and low times are managable and I feel they can be overcome and mostly I am a happy bunny, or at least 'normal'. :p

Good luck x ((((hugs))))

I've got a question, when u go to get if bloods done are u meant to take ur meds before u go?! I have my bloods done at 8:30 am and not sure what I'm meant to do.....???? xxx

I've got a question, when u go to get if bloods done are u meant to take ur meds before u go?! I have my bloods done at 8:30 am and not sure what I'm meant to do.....???? xxx

Yes you just keep on taking your medication as normal. :)

According to thyroiduk and thyroid patient advocacy you should not take meds before a test. I think They reckon it can give a false peak/high reading. You won't get a low reading as the med from the day before is still in your system but you may get a peak which would not be a true picture. Always book tests early in the morning and take your meds immediately after them.

Do not take thyroid meds with any other meds and leave a good hour before you eat or drink or take anything else.

New research is pointing towards taking meds at bed time rather than in the morning. This, apparently, gives time for T4 to convert to T3 which is what your body uses. It makes sense so I might try it, starting tonight. Mind you, that would mean I could not have my bedtime chocolate highlights drink, unless I have it earlier :eek:

You need to research your question on the web as I'm no expert but I can see the point to the advice given. Hope it helps.

Well that's an eye opener!! I just got told take before breakfast so I take mind like 15 mins before breakfast (when I remember) and I take yasmin pill at the same time!! I think ur right and I need to look into this further!

I agree though with not taking ness before blood test as will give s false reading x

Thanks!!!

Linds xx

Hi linds

I have mine on the bedside table and usually take them the moment I wake. By the time I'm showered and dressed the hour has gone and I'm ok to eat. I think milk taken with thyroid med is not helpful - not sure why though.

Anyway I'm going to try them tonight and see what happens. Hope I'm not up all night because I had them this morning too:eek:

According to thyroiduk and thyroid patient advocacy you should not take meds before a test. I think They reckon it can give a false peak/high reading. You won't get a low reading as the med from the day before is still in your system but you may get a peak which would not be a true picture. Always book tests early in the morning and take your meds immediately after them.

Do not take thyroid meds with any other meds and leave a good hour before you eat or drink or take anything else.

New research is pointing towards taking meds at bed time rather than in the morning. This, apparently, gives time for T4 to convert to T3 which is what your body uses. It makes sense so I might try it, starting tonight. Mind you, that would mean I could not have my bedtime chocolate highlights drink, unless I have it earlier :eek:

You need to research your question on the web as I'm no expert but I can see the point to the advice given. Hope it helps.

That's interesting to read. Especially about taking it at bedtime. (Got to say though I have never, ever been told to take my meds x time before/after eating/drinking or not with coffee or not with xyz other type of food as Ive heard other people have :confused: )

However as I understand it (I went to med school many moons ago) it shouldn't really matter as TFT's are multiple tests and most of those are levels that will take a long period of time (several days) to be altered by any change in drug dosage - only your Free T3/4 would be affected in the short term, it wont have any effect on TSH or Total T3/4. No doctor would ever diagnose or adjust medication based on one value. Although there's also the problem of what type of hypothyroidism you've got and what meds you're taking I guess, I dont have a thyroid at all so my case may well be totally different to yours (or then again maybe the same :D )

tbh though if you're worried it's always best to ask your doctor though rather than us lot :)

That's interesting to read. Especially about taking it at bedtime. (Got to say though I have never, ever been told to take my meds x time before/after eating/drinking or not with coffee or not with xyz other type of food as Ive heard other people have :confused: )

However as I understand it (I went to med school many moons ago) it shouldn't really matter as TFT's are multiple tests and most of those are levels that will take a long period of time (several days) to be altered by any change in drug dosage - only your Free T3/4 would be affected in the short term, it wont have any effect on TSH or Total T3/4. No doctor would ever diagnose or adjust medication based on one value. Although there's also the problem of what type of hypothyroidism you've got and what meds you're taking I guess, I dont have a thyroid at all so my case may well be totally different to yours (or then again maybe the same :D )

tbh though if you're worried it's always best to ask your doctor though rather than us lot :)

Ermitrude

I agree we are all different and all have different thyroid problems but there is so much research available on the web these days regarding hypothyrodism medication which relates to my statement about food. I have never been told not to take it with food but I know this can hinder absorption. I have not the will to point you at all the research but I can assure it is there and it has been done by reputable bodies.

Here a couple of links i came across quickly:
Levothyroxine: MedlinePlus Drug Information

And one regarding taking thyroxine at night:
Should You Take Your Thyroid Medication at Night? Taking Levothyroxine at Bedtime. Thyroid Medication at Bedtime - The Best Time to Take Thyroid Drugs

I could easily find much more technical stuff if I wanted to spend time doing it!

As I also stated, I am not an expert but I have researched the subject as much as I can as I wish to be in control of my health.

Ermitrude

I agree we are all different and all have different thyroid problems but there is so much research available on the web these days regarding hypothyrodism medication which relates to my statement about food. I have never been told not to take it with food but I know this can hinder absorption. I have not the will to point you at all the research but I can assure it is there and it has been done by reputable bodies.

Here a couple of links i came across quickly:
Levothyroxine: MedlinePlus Drug Information

And one regarding taking thyroxine at night:
Should You Take Your Thyroid Medication at Night? Taking Levothyroxine at Bedtime. Thyroid Medication at Bedtime - The Best Time to Take Thyroid Drugs

I could easily find much more technical stuff if I wanted to spend time doing it!

As I also stated, I am not an expert but I have researched the subject as much as I can as I wish to be in control of my health.

That's fine, I'm not having a go or doubting your research :) You go ahead and do whatever you think is best. I was just suggesting to the OP that as *we do* have different types of hypothyroidism it is always going to better to ask your doctor for the final word. (And by that I dont mean your GP, I mean your endocrinologist).

Your total T3/4 & TSH will not change from missing a dose though, or taking an extra one, although your free T3/T4 might. Im not an expert either, but I went to med school and did my intercalated degree in Pharmacology so I've got a rough understanding of how it works, although I expect your research is far more up to date than my basic knowledge.

Peace :)

Just a quick note, my pharmacist did mention that milk (calcium) can affect absorption of thyroxine but if you have say cereal every morning then your levels will settle. Only if you take your Meds and then have alternate cereal/milk, toast brekkies this can cause upset. Darn thyroid lol soooo touchy xx

Back