Hypothyroidism

Does anyone know a good diet for hypothyroidism? I'm sick of contradictions on the web. I don't want to further damage my metabolism, it already takes so much to lose any amount of weight. So if anyone has experience with this please let me know :)

Hi. I have to admit I use medication to manage my hypothyroidism and I get a blood test every month to keep an eye on it. The stuff on the web turns my head in circles! So much contradictory information as you say! I am making my own tea (that should read "tea"!) with ginger and cinamon but whether that makes any difference I'm not sure yet. I am also trying to do metabolism kick starters like skipping for short times whenever I can.

I'm on medication for it too, didn't know diets could mess with it? :( I'm on Lipotrim and the chemist did ask if I'd a thyroid problem but when I said how long I'd been medicated she said that it was grand.

I went to a chemist and they wouldn't give it to me without a doctors letter and the doctor wouldn't give me a letter, she thought it would be worse forme in the long run to go on lipotrim?

Was it specifically because of your thyroid that they wouldn't let you? Are you taking medication for it? I've been on meds for 7 years so there was no bother, I didn't need the doctor's permission : / I've done Lipotrim before about five or six years ago, there was no bother then either.

I've been on meds the last 8/9 years. My doc said its not good for someone who's hypothyroid to go on such a diet and wouldn't sign off on it. The chemist wouldn't dispense it without my doctors consent. The doctor did say it would negatively effect my already slow metabolism :( and once I stopped the diet and resumed eating the weight would just return with additional pounds.

I've been on levothyroxine for 3 and a half years, I put a little bit of weight on to begin with but it wasn't until I had a course of anti-depressants for the side affects which really made me gain. I've read things on the internet which all contradict themselves, it feels like I'm being told to do the opposite to lose weight ie. don't eat this veg, don't eat that fruit, eat so much white bread a day etc. Again, been told not to have certain supplements. The only thing that seems to make sense at the minute is to eat small portions every 2-3 hours so I've been buying the graze boxes!

My doctor revealed he has an under-active thyroid too so I hoped he'd be a bit more supportive but when I want to discuss weight management I have to go to the nurse instead :-/

I love skipping too, one of the things I've found that helps but it's hard!

i have been on thyroxine for 10yrs, and have been on many diets, the only thing i have found is that when you lose weight the amount of thyr oxine you need to take differs usually being less. ie i usually take 150mg but if i lose a stone it can change to 125mg. you obviously can't reduce it yourself, but regular blood tests help to regulate the amount. I am at present on the dukan diet i discussed this with my doctor and she had no problem with this , but everyone has different health needs so i can't reccomend it you would have to discuss it with your doctor because if they know you are on a diet they can moniter your blood levels every 3 months or so

That is really interesting Eileen, did you find yourself less tired when you were on the lower dosage?
My veins are 'stringy' as my nurse described and I always pass out at blood tests, she already refuses to take my blood so I have to wait for a phlebotomist; I'll bring this up with her but I bet she'll refuse to do them every 3 months

i know the feeling i seem to have no visible veins and the nurse runs a mile when i walk in lol but i am lucky she used to be a childrens nurse and always takes my blood in the back of my hand now with a butterfly needle as they would wiht a child. as to feeling tired i did not notice any difference between times my dosage changed it was only picked up on a routine blood test

Does it hurt taking them out of the back of your hand?
I have an 'infant' needle and it still bruises :-(

no more than the usual, but i don't usually bruise

I developed an underactive thyroid at 50 years of age (it was bad enought being 50 without getting that as well). It is in the family, my eldest sister has suffered a lifetime with it and I have 2 nieces who also have underactive thyroid. I went from a usual 12-14 size (all my life) to a size 18 in 3 months. I have a lot of trouble staying awake an often felt like putting my head on my desk at work and going to sleep. I tried several diets including Slim Fast, Weight Watchers and others I found but nothing worked. In the November, my daughter told me that she was getting married in the March. I went for an outfit and found that nothing under a size 20 fitted. I was disgusted!!!!! I went home and found a Slimming World leaflet in my door and a group in my village. I joined that week and in the February I bought a size 14 designer suit for my daughter's wedding in the March. I then went on to lose 4 1/2 stone to reach my target. I managed to maintain my target for 8 years and then the thyroid went off course again. So I had to go for many tests and ended up on 100 micro's. This has recently been increased to 125m. So now I am back on the plan and hoping to get back on target again.

CathySW, it is very inspiring that you were able to lose the 4 1/2 stone :)
I have my days where I think it is impossible to lose with the UAT and why am I bothering but then I pick myself up when I read it can be done!

My mum has thyroid problems, and has been able to lose weight with slimming world too. :) For my mum It just came off quite a bit slower than for the others' she knew doing it.

I also suffer from an under active thyroid and have been on thyroxine for about 8 years. I also suffer from high blood pressure and take ramipril for that. I have tried ww a couple of times since being on the meds and have always managed to lose weight if i stick to the diet. My doctor sends me yearly for a blood test. I always get told i need to lose weight when i go for results as cholestoral is also creeping up. At least this time i can say i have lost weight!!

anyone can lose weight with an underactive thyroid as long it has been diagnosed and treated your metabalism is no different from any normal persons and if you stick to whatever diet you will lose weight and if you follow the rules and do not go back to junk food and no exercise afterwards you will not put it back on. treated you are no different from anyone else

when i was first diagnose i was told it would be harder. I have just ignored the fact that i have it. If that makes sense, as i know if i cut out the junk i can lose. Am so used to taking meds now its just become normal way of life for me. x

I have hypothyroidism. It absolutely has been hindering my weight loss. I had been calorie counting and doing couch to 5K 3 times a week and kickboxing every Wednesday since the new year. My last blood test showed that on the 25mg levothyroxine I was on my thyroid was still underactive, and I'd started to regain weight even though my diet hadn't changed! I'm now on 50mg levothyroxine daily. I also having crohn's disease going against me as I'm on high dose of prednisolone, which also causes weight gain. I have now reached desperation with my health and my weight and am doing Exante total solution. I don't have my first weigh in until Sunday but I think given I'm not eating ANYTHING I must surely be losing weight now! I hope!

Hi mama, hope the weigh in goes well. where in essex are you if you dont mind me asking. x

Back