I am absolutely PIFFED OFFFFFF !!!! :(

when im lucky to have a period, I put on between 7 and 10lbs

Has anyone noticed hair loss from the crown of their head but excessive hair growth in place where you DON'T NEED IT??? I'm actually considering taking it out.

Thats a lot of weight to gain. Its not easy being a woman!!

Missa - I dont mean to be rude or anything but have you been diagnosed with PCOS or anything?

I had the mirena put in because I had really bad periods. TOTM used to leave me exhausted. I went for test but they said everything was normal. The mirena has helped me a lot. I've had it in for over 2yrs now and I can't really complain apart from the cramps, excessive hair growth and recurrent infections which is getting on my last nerve.

Missa - I dont mean to be rude or anything but have you been diagnosed with PCOS or anything?

No I haven't. Excessive hair growth is one of the so called "rare" side effects. What kind of tests are done to diagnose this problem??

If your lucky, you can be diagnosed within 2 trips to the doctors It took me 3 years or so for a diagnosis..

Usually its a blood test and an ultrasound scan

I had an internal & external scan and apparently everything was normal. They told me that I just have abnormal periods. Can't remember if they ever took blood tests. Oh yes I think I had the bloods done first. I have a cousin who suffers with pcos.

Hmm, thats a bit odd. I have no cysts or anything but because I display more then 3 of the symptoms of it, I have the condition.
Im not saying you do have it, I just don't want others to have to go through what I have and take years to get diagnosed. x

I was diagonised with pcos and I had blood tests first which showed low hormone levels, they have to do a lap n dye to see if you have it as it is cysts on your overies that is polycystic ' overies' I had years of infertility treatment which shows up evidence of cysts and cyst scarring. Sorry Kirsty how do they think you have pcos with no cysts? Very odd xx
I had my bloods and lap n dye done 22 years ago and found out 2 months after I went to doc with no periods, maybe that's why it's taken so long as you have no cysts? The symptoms you have could be fir anything, maybe go private?xx

You can have PCOS withother having the cysts. Its PCO you have to have the cysts for to have the conditon. For PCOS the cysts are a symptom of the condition but with PCO the condition is having the cysts.
My blood tests showed high abnormal hormone levels.

i had blood tests taken then i was refered to a womens clinic and had an ultrasound scan ( external and internal) i had 4 largeish cysts on one ovary and 3 on the other, my cysts werent typical of normal polycystic ovaries and they thought i had fibroids so i had more blood taken and started to grow hairs on my face, around my bellybutton and the occasional black hair on my arms, my periods had also suffered massively ( as in i hadnt had one in 8 months) after 3 years my doctor decided i had PCOS needless to say i changed doctors lol :p i hate pcos grrr

OMG....I'm scared now. I had a smear done in 08 or 09 and they saw some cysts but they said it was nothing to worry about. I know the Mirena can cause cysts. I don't know what to do now. Like I said before a cousin of mine has it but she now has 2 children...probably with years of trying. I'm getting the odd hair on my face but have had hair on my chest and belly area for a few years now. I think I better get tested.

It would be so typical if I had it. How do you ladies cope with it??

PCOS is known to be hereditory aswell, although saying that Im the only person in my family to have it.

Don't be scared, its not faital it just helps if you know you have it.

As for coping with it, Well I didnt cope very well with it, to start off, but I was 18 when I was offically diagnosed and I had been struggling an awful long time to lose weight, and get my periods back, not to mention the excess hair etc I also suffer from.

It does get better though. Easier to cope with, when you have support. x

I'm going to get some advice next week. Thanks for the info its been very useful. Some Doctors are a waste of time. They like to put it down to one thing and not follow things up to see if its correct. I thought I might of had fibroids and the nurse I spoke to told me I'm way too young to have that. I was shocked as your not too young to have anything these days. I mentioned it to my doctor and she wasn't impressed at all and that's when she referred me for tests. I think my hormone level was normal but I will check it out.

it doesnt really affect me in anyway apart from when i start trying for a baby i will need to have clomid which i cant get prescribed while my bmi is so high so losing weight is the only option for me xx

Nope your never to young to have anything, but I always think its worth getting things checked out and sorted x

Very true!!

I used to suffer from horrindous pains from my overies that I couldnt walk,I have suffered bad period problems from teenager to my middle daughter.I had 8 years infertility treatment concevied triplets miscarried and a year later got pregnant with my daughter whos 15,then my middle daughter she took 18 months to conceive naturally and my lil one she took 10 days after I came off the pill :)
I fell pregnant everytime I lost weight I miscarried twice every 5 times I lost upto 2 stone with ww.
I now dont think I have many symptons maybe as im near 41 and I have mainly hair growth and some pain occasionally,it def got better with age .........I hope you all get successful help,TBH I had no help only when I wanted a baby xx

Back