I am going to be brave and start a thread

hi im Sarah,
im 24 weeks preg tomorrow with my second child.

I've been reading your diary and just wanted to say i can't imagine what you are going through and that i think its really brave and lovely that you will have the baby if it has down syndrome.
i just wanted to let you know about my sister in law, she's got a little girl with spina bifidia, im not sure if that's a chromosonal illness, but when she was born she had to have the op to close the hole on her back, she's 3 now and she's just had another op to stretch the tendons in her ankles and to try and straighten her feet, and now with her splints and boots on she is walking on her own, she could only crawl before but she never let it stop her getting about, her mum had to have eyes in the back of her head because she kept climbing the stairs, she is so gorgeous and such a happy little girl.
i just wanted to let you know because we didn't know she was going to be born like that her mum never went for scans but if she did and found out she might have terminated the pregnancy, and she would have regretted it, if only you could see into the future and how the baby will be, hopefully everything is fine and you get good results but if not you've got a massive decision to make and i just wanted to let you know its not all bad, well hopefully anyway.

sending you lots of hope for a good result, thinking about you.x

Sent from my GT-I9100 using MiniMins.com mobile app

hi im Sarah,
im 24 weeks preg tomorrow with my second child.

I've been reading your diary and just wanted to say i can't imagine what you are going through and that i think its really brave and lovely that you will have the baby if it has down syndrome.
i just wanted to let you know about my sister in law, she's got a little girl with spina bifidia, im not sure if that's a chromosonal illness, but when she was born she had to have the op to close the hole on her back, she's 3 now and she's just had another op to stretch the tendons in her ankles and to try and straighten her feet, and now with her splints and boots on she is walking on her own, she could only crawl before but she never let it stop her getting about, her mum had to have eyes in the back of her head because she kept climbing the stairs, she is so gorgeous and such a happy little girl.
i just wanted to let you know because we didn't know she was going to be born like that her mum never went for scans but if she did and found out she might have terminated the pregnancy, and she would have regretted it, if only you could see into the future and how the baby will be, hopefully everything is fine and you get good results but if not you've got a massive decision to make and i just wanted to let you know its not all bad, well hopefully anyway.

sending you lots of hope for a good result, thinking about you.x

Thanks thats a really lovely post it is nice reading about people that have babies and children which have special needs and to hear how much love and joy they bring to the family that is part of the reason I chose to keep my baby as long as it was going to be able to have a good quality of life and that it wasn't given a short life sentence as I couldn't handle only having the baby for a few hours to few months x

Thanks thats a really lovely post it is nice reading about people that have babies and children which have special needs and to hear how much love and joy they bring to the family that is part of the reason I chose to keep my baby as long as it was going to be able to have a good quality of life and that it wasn't given a short life sentence as I couldn't handle only having the baby for a few hours to few months x

Congratulations on your second pregnancy x

My cousin has a sister that's downs so was offered the test but refused it.. It was her first baby and she was young so in yer mind she thought "I can cope with having a downs baby" but didn't think further than that.. Didn't think of all the other illnesses (if it can be called that) that it checked for... Anyway her little boy was born mentally retarded (awful term which I hate using but that's what the medical professionals refer to him as) He also has Lowe's Syndrome..
When he was born after several hours of tests n poking n prodding n pulling at him they told her he'd never sit up, speak or walk... So basically that he'd be a vegetable more or less... He's 4 now.. And although he's had more medical procedures than probably all of us added together will ever have he's the happiest, bonniest little boy you have ever met... He is talking.. He is sitting.. and he's currently learning to walk without the aid of is walker and has taken up to 5 n 6 steps... OK I know for 4 years old that's not allot.. But he was never meant to be able sit up un-aided.. Let along walk...
I'll see if I can get a pic of his HUGE smile n upload it...
My point is, Scott is doing amazingly well and the doctors were thankfully wrong in his case... its a tough time his Mammy has had and she amazing with him..

But like you Kellie.. If I thought my baby was going to be born, live a short life of suffering and then be cruelly taken from... and my other kids... I don't think I could it either...

I'm the same. If baby had an illness but could still have a happy full life then no question I'd keep it. But if they said it wouldn't survive or have no way of life...really don't know what id do. It wouldn't be fair on the baby to put it through that.

Kellie I think you're being so strong and amazing. All of your kids are so lucky to have a mummy like you xx

i totally understand if the baby will only have a short life, i couldn't go through that too, hope to god that you get good news when your results come, keep resting and enjoying cuddles with that little girly of yours.xxxx

My cousin has a sister that's downs so was offered the test but refused it.. It was her first baby and she was young so in yer mind she thought "I can cope with having a downs baby" but didn't think further than that.. Didn't think of all the other illnesses (if it can be called that) that it checked for... Anyway her little boy was born mentally retarded (awful term which I hate using but that's what the medical professionals refer to him as) He also has Lowe's Syndrome..
When he was born after several hours of tests n poking n prodding n pulling at him they told her he'd never sit up, speak or walk... So basically that he'd be a vegetable more or less... He's 4 now.. And although he's had more medical procedures than probably all of us added together will ever have he's the happiest, bonniest little boy you have ever met... He is talking.. He is sitting.. and he's currently learning to walk without the aid of is walker and has taken up to 5 n 6 steps... OK I know for 4 years old that's not allot.. But he was never meant to be able sit up un-aided.. Let along walk...
I'll see if I can get a pic of his HUGE smile n upload it...
My point is, Scott is doing amazingly well and the doctors were thankfully wrong in his case... its a tough time his Mammy has had and she amazing with him..

But like you Kellie.. If I thought my baby was going to be born, live a short life of suffering and then be cruelly taken from... and my other kids... I don't think I could it either...

Thanks for that story it sounds like they are a very strong family and scott is a little fighter I know doctors do tend to give you mainly negatives so it is good to hear some positive stories that is another reason I had to have the cvs test so I know exactly what if anything is wrong so I can research and hopefully talk to parents of children who have these conditions in order to get the whole picture not just the negatives of what the children can't do. As for being strong I am completely scared about what the future for my baby is and what the test results are going to be but I will have to face it good or bad x

Thanks for that story it sounds like they are a very strong family and scott is a little fighter I know doctors do tend to give you mainly negatives so it is good to hear some positive stories that is another reason I had to have the cvs test so I know exactly what if anything is wrong so I can research and hopefully talk to parents of children who have these conditions in order to get the whole picture not just the negatives of what the children can't do. As for being strong I am completely scared about what the future for my baby is and what the test results are going to be but I will have to face it good or bad x
I have to say.. And I know Scott's is a happy story and he's an amazing little boy.. You just look at him and he melts your heart.. But I don't know if I could look after him the way his Mammy does.. I don't know if I could be that strong...
Though I suppose when its your baby you do what you have to do.. But I think it takes a special kind of person and not everyone's cut out for it...
But... Am still praying for a positive outcome for you and all will be fine.. its only 50%... That's a huge %age of getting a good result...

Had the phone call from the hospital and as expected my baby girl as thats what she is does have down syndrome there has been lots of tears and I still don't think it has sunk on yet

Had the phone call from the hospital and as expected my baby girl as thats what she is does have down syndrome there has been lots of tears and I still don't think it has sunk on yet

Oh Kellie xx

Big hugs to you and your family. It must be a real shock and I can't imagine what's going through your mind on what to do next. Whatever you do, we are ALL here for you and will offer as much support as we possibly can. Lots of love to you xxx

Aw Kellie, I'm so sorry. And I know it's easy for me to say but at least you know what you're dealing with and you can give her the happiest life you can if you choose to go down that route. There's a house not far from me and its supported living for people with downs. They all have their own flats, jobs, partners. They have a 'normal' (hate using that word but you know what I mean) life and are so happy. You've got plenty of time for it to sink in and to research life with a downs baby so you can be as prepared as possible. You'll have a beautiful baby girl at the end of all this but as Jess said, if you make any other decision youll have all the support in the world. Big hugs to you and your family. Xx

sending hugs, sorry you got those results, you know what's right for you and your family, whatever you decide.xxxx

Kellie, my thoughts are with you and family. I'm glad there's no more waiting for answers for you. As already said we're all here for you. X

Thanks everyone it still has not really sunk in yet even though I knew that it was a huge possibility I now have to wait for my hospital to contact me to go in and discuss what happens next although kings said they will scan me again in 2 weeks to check her heart so until I know everything I can't make a decision although this is so hard on my whole family I know we are strong and we will get through it x

(((((((((((Hugs)))))))))))
i can't imagine how hard that is to take in :( we are here for you and I'm thinking of you and your family xxx

Oh kellie I'm so sorry to hear you had that phone call :( I can't even begin to imagine what is going through your mind but just wanted to let you know that we are all here for you whatever you decide to do. *big hugs* xx

Just been to the hospital she is going to get me my appointment for the heart scan and then make me an appointment to see the consultant we discussed what would happen if the baby had major heart problems what would happen in a termination and she also explained what happens if we continue with the pregnancy so now I am just waiting on that appointment at kings so I can finally make a decision one way or another x

Back