I can't get rid of this guilt!! - Issues with free foods

NN89

Sexy Member
I'm on my second day today and so far i've had-

B: weetabix with milk, and a fried egg sandwhich with wholemeal bread

L: jacket potatoe with pepepers, celery..and cottage cheese

D: Homemade pasta sauce (made with passata, onion, garlic, celery and pepper with some canderel) and LOADS of pasta

I had dinner 2 hours ago and i'm still STARVING! I feel empty; so i've decided to make some syn free chips with mushy peas (both free on the green day)

Yet why do i have this guilt? I just can't get my head around why it works. All of my friends say it must be impossible you can eat as much stuff as you want and still loose weight and after my last weigh in i'm starting to believe them. I've been getting more fruit and veg in these past two days (for example at lunch i had some strawberries in vanilla yogurt) - but i just cannot grasp it!!

How DOES it all work?! How on earth can someone eat loads of food and still loose weight?!

It works because although you are eating lots of food the vast majority is low in fat, sugar and calories. Instead you are feeding yourself lots of healthy food full of nutrients. This way you are reducing your calorie intake but your body still feels that it is in a time of plenty so there is no need to conserve energy/fat. If you don't eat enough of the free foods your body will feel that it is in a time of famine and it will slow your metabolism so you feel tired and you won't loose weight. Believe it or not the more superfree food you eat (food that is free on both red & green days) the better you will feel and the more weight you will lose.

i found that with my first few weeks i felt so empty and wanted to eat but then realised it might have had something to do with all the crap i used to eat and my body was trying to tell me it needed that chocolate bar or crisps now my body has adjusted to the food i now eat

With my syn free chips and mushy peas i'm going to have some veg with it- superfree and all that!

everyone is telling me to stop wasting my money, as i didn't loose any weight last week and its impossible it will help me- its hard having such negative criticism around me

You need to find something to tell yourself that means its ok - for example, I am convinced one of the principles behind SW is the negative calorie concept - ie your body takes more calories to burn food then the food actually contains, so I tell myself that all free food is negative calorie food therefore the more of it that I eat the more calories my body uses to get rid of it!! Works for me, you can borrow this as well if you like?

Sometimes unfortunately we can't rely on other people to motivate us or even support us, what you need to do is be determined to prove them wrong, then when you get to goal weight, they have to apologise to you!

It does work, for the reasons that Holly said. You're eating lower calorie foods, lower fat foods and lower sugar foods. They generally have more water and fibre in, so make you feel fuller. They're also much better for you, giving you vitamins and minerals, protein, carbs and other lovely things that make you feel great.

If you didn't lose weight last week there will be a reason for it. Did you keep a food diary? Honestly follow the plan? 100%?

It's really hard if you're not getting support from the people around you, but please don't give up so easily. For some the challenge is more difficult than for others, but we all have ups and downs on the plan. Many people have success though. Some don't and that's fair enough. The same plan doesn't suit everyone and SW might not be the diet for you...but give it a fair chance before you decide that!

Good luck.

If i don't have any protein with y meals I get really hungry quickly afterwards. It looks like your evening meal didn't have any protein and all day you just had an egg. cottage cheese and a bit of ilk that gave any protein at all.
On a green day you have your HEA to give you cheese or milk for calcium AND protein but also eggs and quorn sausages etc are free protein foods. Try these to keep you fuller.

If i don't have any protein with y meals I get really hungry quickly afterwards. It looks like your evening meal didn't have any protein and all day you just had an egg. cottage cheese and a bit of ilk that gave any protein at all.
On a green day you have your HEA to give you cheese or milk for calcium AND protein but also eggs and quorn sausages etc are free protein foods. Try these to keep you fuller.

what about veg and fruit aswell? don't they count towards protein?

There's no protein in fruit and veg but there is in baked beans, quorn stuff, cottage cheese, eggs, HEA cheese, chicken, fish, meat (sorry if you're a veggie)

There's no protein in fruit and veg but there is in baked beans, quorn stuff, cottage cheese, eggs, HEA cheese, chicken, fish, meat (sorry if you're a veggie)

ahh well ive had eggs, cottage cheese- and i know i've had some mushy peas today which deffo has protein

I had a cottage cheese salad for lunch with an orange, and by 4 o clock I had hit the buffers! I know I have to have more protein than that on a work day! So today I've packed up a couscous and chickpea salad with loads of raw free veg. I won't be hungry today!

Scrambled eggs are a great start to the day!!

I made an omlette instead with some fry light- just tasted like scrambled egg. Am getting stick from the haters again though at work, telling me slimming world is a scam and

"how can any diet that tells you to eat so much help you loose weight"

etc etc etc
am thinking abot having a weigh in later- not had my AF yet but i just need the boost

When I joined SW 6 weeks ago, my friends couldnt understand how it would work and also told me not to waste my money etc. it will never work. They have all changed their tune already, I have lost 15.5lbs and they can see the difference. Most of them are also asking me for tips on how to eat better. Just keep at it and make sure you read the books properly and follow the plan 100%.

NN89, i would just tell your work colleagues that it is working and it suits you and try to ignore their comments. I have colleagues at work that know i'm dieting yet still insist on bring cakes/sweets/biscuits to my desk mid afternoon and i have learnt just to say no and not even look, i'm doing it for me, not for them and i won't let them sabbotage it for me.

I also get the impression (and i have seen it at work too - particularly from the men i work with) they think that to lose weight you have to reduce the amount you eat drastically and effectively 'starve' yourself. I guess to a point i used to think the same thing until i tried SW. I have done WW previously and pretty much always felt hunrgy but i thought - it must be working if i'm hungry. Now i'm *back* on Slimming World (i lost 1.5stone last year for a wedding) and to tell you the truth i don't think i really felt that hungry when i was doing it last year and i haven't done in the 2 weeks i've been back on the plan - yet i can still lose weight!

It's not always the quantity of food thats the problem - for me it was what i was eating before that was the problem, now i eat the same amount but the *right* foods and thats how it works.

So just keep telling yourself it works - and don't worry what others think, you'll be the one laughing when you've lost the weight and can say - SEE IT DOES WORK!!!!

NN89, i would just tell your work colleagues that it is working and it suits you and try to ignore their comments. I have colleagues at work that know i'm dieting yet still insist on bring cakes/sweets/biscuits to my desk mid afternoon and i have learnt just to say no and not even look, i'm doing it for me, not for them and i won't let them sabbotage it for me.

I also get the impression (and i have seen it at work too - particularly from the men i work with) they think that to lose weight you have to reduce the amount you eat drastically and effectively 'starve' yourself. I guess to a point i used to think the same thing until i tried SW. I have done WW previously and pretty much always felt hunrgy but i thought - it must be working if i'm hungry. Now i'm *back* on Slimming World (i lost 1.5stone last year for a wedding) and to tell you the truth i don't think i really felt that hungry when i was doing it last year and i haven't done in the 2 weeks i've been back on the plan - yet i can still lose weight!

It's not always the quantity of food thats the problem - for me it was what i was eating before that was the problem, now i eat the same amount but the *right* foods and thats how it works.

So just keep telling yourself it works - and don't worry what others think, you'll be the one laughing when you've lost the weight and can say - SEE IT DOES WORK!!!!

its not working yet for me. I maintained in my first week- yeah ive been eating a lot more veg and fruit etc this week, but i still feel a fat pig :(

btw well done onto getting onto midwifery- i'm a student nurse and hoping to go into health visiting

Hi NN89, I have been on SW for 9 weeks. I absolutely hated the first 2 weeks, I ate a lot and very healthily, but I think my body was craving all of my old high-fat, high-sugar foods. I was also very weak. However, I then started to feel great which made it easier to continue. My advice is to ignore the nay-sayers at work (I find people are generally not supportive, which is why this forum is very helpful) and give SW a couple of weeks to start working. If I am feeling particularly hungry, a couple of quorn sausages with scrambled eggs works for me.
Best wishes, Tracy

Back