I don't agree with diets!

ApplySomePressure

Silver Member
I'm not hiding the fact that i'm doing this diet but I'm not telling everyone about it either. If anyone asks or notices what i'm having at work i'll tell them.

Yesterday I was in the tea room at work having my shake and a woman I work with came in and was asking what I was having. I told her and let her see the packet and she said "is that a diet?". She then said I don't agree with diets and that's not good for you and walked off like I was doing something wrong!

I felt like saying maybe that's because youre a size 10 who's never needed to diet and was the diet I was eating before good for me?! Didn't bother me much at the time was more after I was getting a bit p'd off! Losing weigh is so unhealthy isn't it!?

doesnt people like that really frustrate you... i have some people who have said the exact same thing... you will put it all back on etc... grrrrr

I've been so lucky in that I have only had support from everyone on this diet but when I did lighterlife earlier this year the ladies in the group all had people that would say things like that or put them down. Some of the things their colleagues said were quite shocking.

I think that some of it was jealousy as the girls were loosing so much weight and other times it's just ignorance.

As one of the ladies said at lighterlife, she never had any comments on her eating habits before but as soon as you go on a diet everyone thinks they can comment and tell you their opinion!

I don't know why people think they have a right to comment when they don't have all the facts of what you are doing and especially when it is such a positive thing you are doing. It's a great thing to lose weight and I know we'll all feel so much healthier for it.

Keep up the good work and ignore the woman, she's clearly talking out of her boney bottom :)

She probably smokes 20 a day and never does a tap of exercise! I've been told that the people who will likely be most vocal in "opinions" are those who don't deal well with change so they attempt to "control" and reassure themselves by coming out with **** like this!

She probably smokes 20 a day and never does a tap of exercise! I've been told that the people who will likely be most vocal in "opinions" are those who don't deal well with change so they attempt to "control" and reassure themselves by coming out with **** like this!

Definitely so true.
And also, what really annoys me is that we are told and told again (and often in a rude, hurtful way) to lose weight, and when we do it, we have to do it their way, "they" being the skinny brigade, i.e. people who never had to battle with obesity. :mad:

And (I'll be the devil's advocate here), some people don't agree with diets because they see it as a quick-fix thing to something that should be repaired. Before my grandfather passed away a couple of years and before I put on all this weight during pregnancy, we had a really bad argument about me doing CD. He said that I didn't put this weight on overnight and why should I expect it to fall off as such rather than redress my eating habits and let nature take its course.
I told him my system was so "overloaded" that I wasn't sure I had the luxury of time nor the patience (like 3-4 years) ti lose the weight slowly, plus we were trying to have a baby. He was just shaking his head like it wasn't going to work. Well, it didn't because 1. I didn't go through the plans and 2. I got pregnant and ate for triplets!
I'm back on CD (for a year on and off now) and I've learned from my past mistakes, I will go through the steps, and I am in counseling to re-learn to eat correctly. I hope to stop CD SS, go up the steps and apply what I am learning. Yes, CD is quick but never forget it's just a tool - the hard work is afterwards!!

As my CDC nobody starts a VCLD on a whim. Let's be honest ... Slimfast it ain't :) It's a pretty drastic step and most, if not all of us have been through a gamut of emotions before making the decision to take this step. Yes, for a lot of people healthy eating and exercise works in correcting a weight problem but it's likely that those people have a better relationship with food in the first place; if I could have done it with willpower, healthy eating and exercise I would have done. But I couldn't/can't and I need this drastic action to help me address the issues I have around food and activity while also having the encouragement of fast changes to help me increase my self-esteem and start me on a more positive cycle of life.

So to those who tell us we are doing a "quick fix" I say POKE EM IN THE EYE and WELL DONE US FOR HAVING THE COURAGE TO FACE OUR DEMONS!! ;)

Gg

I get comments like that all the time, people are always saying that I will put the weight straight back on, so much so that now I am nearer target I am terrified about eating, I am really having to sort my head out, I am moving up plans at the moment and the other day I ate a small dinner and immediately afterwards felt this awful guilt and it really was hard work making myself sit on the sofa and not go and make myself throw up, it is not the diet that does that to you, it is all the people who say 'that cant be good for you' you will put the weight back on and more' etc etc, I am quite strong minded so I will be OK but it worries me what might happen to people that arent as strong x

now I am nearer target I am terrified about eating, I am really having to sort my head out, x

Have you discovered The Diet Guy yet? I found him through this site. He lost loads of weight on a VCLD and has a site full of brilliant articles about how to focus your thinking on postive rather than negative regarding weight loss.. e.g. if a "slim" person asks him how he keeps the weight off he asks them "how do you keep the weight off" ... brilliant I thought. Anyway I've been reading them to help me focus and for motivation .. they may help you too!

The Diet Guy - Believe You Can, Believe You Can't, Either Way You'll Be Right

Back