I dont know what to do!

Sorry, it must seem like you're being bombarded with questions here! Did you weigh the potato because on a red day it's 1 syn per 28g of potato rather than 1 syn per potato. And potatoes can be heavy!

i couldn't find bog standard potatoes on the food diary. I had about 2tbsp of mash.

Sorry, it must seem like you're being bombarded with questions here! Did you weigh the potato because on a red day it's 1 syn per 28g of potato rather than 1 syn per potato. And potatoes can be heavy!

Sorry too, hope I don't sound mean, I'm just trying to get to the bottom of why you are not losing weight :confused:

oh no im grateful honestly. Just hope i can answer them all enough for you guys to see whats going on! :)

I think even with the mash you should definitely be below 15 syns for the day. Perhaps if you post your whole weeks menus something might flag up that you are doing wrong.
Based upon the menu for today I would only say I think you haven't eaten enough, especially at lunch time.

Not eaten enough?!?!? its not clicking in my head that the more i eat the more weight i'll lose. That just doesn't make sense to me.

Not eaten enough?!?!? its not clicking in my head that the more i eat the more weight i'll lose. That just doesn't make sense to me.

This is often the hardest thing for new SW'ers to get their head around. Are you hungry soon after eating? If you are, you need to eat more. I know this seems nonsensical, but the more you fill up on free food, the better the plan works. The idea is to be comfortabley full. It works because the free food is low energy density, meaning it has less calories in say an ounce, than high density, which would have more. So if you ate the same amount of say crisps, and the same amount of pasta, the crisps have more calories per ounce than the pasta. So filling up on crisps would mean more calories than filling up on pasta. Hope that made sense.

you lost 3.5 lbs on ur first week, is there anything you did differently after that? xx

Hi :D are you sure you are adding your syns up correctly and not underecounting them eg, french fries in my book are 4.5 syns, new pots are 1 syn per 28g did you have more than that and I think you said you had mash to.

Also I hope you dont mind but I filled my spare diary sheet in with your red day and there doesn't seem to be a lot on it except for the syn section. Our leader said your free food box should be full to the brim with things.

I am following red days 95% of the time and my free food box is full, red days is all about having more protein based foods so maybe eat more of those to as they are free, ham, bacon, etc. Don't forget your speed foods either they are great as snacks and can really help.

Hope you dont mind my suggestions

It is hard to establish what the problem is from looking at just one days plan.

But from what you have posted I seriously do not think you are eating enough. First off, you need to make sure you are havng all your HE's. It is not advisable to not use them. Syns are the ones you can play around with. You should be getting lots of free foods into you day. That is not saying you have to eat to the point of being stuffed. But I would find it hard to believe you are feeling satisfied after the very little food you are having.

I am surprised you are not starving. You really need to trust the diet. It is about teaching you to fill up of healthy foods. If it was saying, here eat as much of this big chocolate cake as you like and you will lose weight. I can understand how you might be dubious. But it isn't and that is the whole point. All the free foods are low in fat, or ones that might have a high fat content are "healthy fats".

If you can, post us up one of your weekly meal planners, and we can have a look and give you some advice. You have lost 7lbs according to your signature, so you have been doing something right. It perhaps just needs a bit of adjusting somewhere.

How long have you not been losing any weight for and why is your consultant not giving you advice? I would be pretty annoyed if my consultant wasn't giving me advice if all of a sudden my weight loss came to a halt.

I will try and see if I can post one of my meal planners on here off my blog, so you can see what I eat on a weekly basis, is not letting me do it at the moment, because it is in a table and it won't paste the way it is formatted on here.

Last edited:
It's hard to see why you're not losing weight so start a food diary on here and we can get a better picture of what you're eating. Don't forget to include any drinks that aren't syn-free (such as wine at the weekend!) and write down everything that passes your lips even if its just a nibble!
I see on week 7 you lost 8.5 lbs after being ill and gained 1.5 the following week - this is quite normal after being ill and is probably just your body adjusting. I'm sure next week you'll see a loss.

I think you're doing better than you think Pizzle, 7lb in 8 weeks is nearly a 1lb a week if you look at the overall picture. The gain last week could have been you're body replenishing it's fluid after you being ill. Stick at it I'm sure it will work for you :)

Wendy

week 1 -3.5lb :party0011:
week 2 -1lb
week 3 -0.5lb
week 4 +1lb
week 5 +3lb (xmas week) :rolleyes:
week 6 +1.5lb :cry:
week 7 -8.5lb :eek: (i was ill thought)
week 8 + 1.5lb

Looking at your stats you are actually doing well if christmas and new year had not been in there you would have had an even bigger loss. As it is you are at 7 pounds in 8 weeks, almost a pound a week which would be almost 50 pounds over a year!!

You most likely gained last week as you had lost so much the week before through being poorly.

Stick with the plan and you WILL lose weight it may not be as fast as you would like but you will lose the weight.

Try and take on board people' s suggestions about super free food etc, drinking your water and making sure you have all your hea allowance (i have to measure mine out each day )

Good luck and keep at it you will get there.

Teresa

I see on week 7 you lost 8.5 lbs after being ill and gained 1.5 the following week - this is quite normal after being ill and is probably just your body adjusting. I'm sure next week you'll see a loss.

I think there's great advice on here but for me, this is the heart of the matter. I think that losing 8.5 lbs in one week due to being ill was the issue. I know you couldn't really eat etc.
In my opinion, even if you stay the same next week, it's still pretty good. But I bet you lose. Don't give up! Feeling sick has gotten in the way.

I also noticed you had a couple of yoghurts. I know these have no syn value but I've heard of some people believing their weight loss slowed if they ate too much yoghurt over the week. Try knocking it down to one and replacing the other with something superfree if you can. And like others have said, try eating more.

When I'm on red days I do like to snack on things like prawns and cubes of roast beef, but if you're not the sort of person who can eat meat on it's own try having two sorts of protein/free red foods with a salad or veg.

As others have said, you seem to be doing OK on your syns, but your two B choices were very similar. It's only a little thing again but maybe try making one cereal and the other bread. Variety is the spice of life!

PS...I've only been attending a SW group since the other week but I really like the idea of eating as much free food as I like. Took this to the extreme yesterday but I didn't feel guilty!

I had 28g museli type cereal (HEB) with fat free yoghurt (free) and ryvita (other half of HEB) with some apple and pineapple (free) for breakfast

For lunch I had a mugshot (free), followed by a jacket potato (free) with 28g cheddar cheese (HEA), and salad (free). I also had a packet of asda cheese curls (3.5 syns), some carrot sticks (free), two apples (free), a kiwi fruit (free) and an orange (free).

For dinner last night I had homemade chilli with lean mince, tinned tomatoes, garlic, onions, sweetcorn, kidney beans, herbs and spices and a beef stock cube (all free on EE) with brown rice (free). For pudding we had SW berry tiramasu (2 syns per ramakin serving).

I had a white wine spritzer made with diet lemonade, lots of water and some sugar free fruit squash to drink, and squeezed an after dinner mint into my syns too. On paper it looks like I ate loads, but I didn't explode. I was comfortably full after each meal but was still hungry enough to eat the next when the time came.

Last edited:
People say iv should be pleased and iv done well for losing 7ls but i haven't really....that was lost when i was il and i didn't eat ANYTHING so it wasn't a true loss. So really i haven't lost anything! :(

Yes but look at the reason for that. You were losing weight but you put on over xmas/new year (loads of people do) then you lost because you were ill followed by a small gain. That gain will be your body recovering from being ill and not taking in any calories. So when you step back and look at it you haven't really had any time when you've been on the plan and eating normally other than those first couple of weeks, and you did lose on those. The rest of the time you were either not following the plan or you were sick. So I think you need to put the rest of it out of your mind and start afresh to be honest. Go back to basics and look on today as day 1 of your plan, and give it at least a month before you start thinking about changing.

you all speak alot of sense it just really effects me when i dont lose anything and it really gets to me if i put on!! i just need to start losing, i dont want to be where i was a year ago!

Circes makes perfect sense, as usual!
I understand how frustrated you feel but if you give up on SW you will be where you were a year ago or maybe even worse.
Hang in there, you will get there!

Back